Around the NHL — Episode XLXVII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Well if they started at 6.5 they may feel like it's Swayman's responsibility to meet them half way, but I tend to agree, Boston has to get this figured out because the alternative is frightening.

edit: as an aside, the projected cap space of $7,861,667 they have according to puck pedia might shed some light on what they chose that offer...

That 7.86M cap hit is with a full roster (14F/7D/2G). If they sign Swayman they'll either trade or waive Brandon Bussi, which would give them over 8.5M in space.

I think that actually sheds more light on Swayman's demand of 8.5M. Sees that cap space sitting there and wants every bit of it.

Reactions: Micklebot

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I saw jarventie was injured. Is chychrun injured too? Haven’t seen him in any lineups yet.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Bruins fans on their board literally trying to suggest that Swayman's agent is actually misleading him on the Bruins' offers and that this will end with him firing his agent and signing a fair deal. Or that they're running to save face because Big Man Neely has them backed into a corner.

Delusional.
I find it hard to believe that Cam Neeley would outright lie to make Swayman look bad unless they've decided to walk away from him.

As for Gross, he's been involved in a lot of contract negotiation controversy in the past: Krug, Nylander (who stated he wished he had gotten personally involved sooner), Pinto (rumours of offer sheets) and now Swayman. Not sure how the negotiations went with Gaudreau/Calgary before he went to Columbus. I have a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt. Also his wording that it wasn't fair to Swayman, what does that mean? Has Swayman been left out of the loop like Nylander was back in 2018? Was Swayman not yet aware that $64 million was on the table? So ironic that Boston went from the best 2 goalie tandem to Korpi being their starter.

So now we have Shesterkin wanting to set the UFA goalie market and Swayman wanting to set the RFA goalie market. I think there will be some teams that will bite but other GMs will realize you don't need an all-star goalie to win the playoffs based on some recent cups (Hill, Kuemper, Binnington). Price never did and Helleybuck still hasn't in spite of their pedigree.

Interesting times.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
And you wonder how this effects the Ullmark negotiations, neither goalie has been a true starter and if Swayman gets $8x8 without a Vezina then Ullmark with a Vezina and better NHL attack record deserves $8.5x 8yrs
Well, Ullmark will be a starter this year, I guess it all depends on when contract negotiations start. Will Staois even want to go 8 years because of Ullmark's age? He also didn't play well in the 2 playoffs in Boston so they went with Swayman this past year who was great. It would be disappointing to get a goalie who's great during the regular season but slumps in the playoffs a la Helleybuck.

The funny thing is many fans on the Boston board are saying they would let Swayman sit and sign Ullmark next year. What a saga.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
A deal that pays him $8 million a year now is a fair deal that will only be more and more team friendly as time goes on.

It's probably reasonable to push for a number that makes the Bruins a little more uncomfortable at present.
Most Bruins fans don't want higher than $8 million because he's only played 132 games, has never been a starter and won 1 playoffs series against TML which doesn't amount to much as everyone seems to beat them. The one series TML won, Vasi was terrible.

If Swayman thinks $64 million isn't enough, then he should take a 4-6 bridge deal at less money and cash in after if he ends up being as good as he thinks he is.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
The Bruins will likely sign Swayman by the end of October once they realize Korpisalo's performance is not up to par. While the Bruins' team defense is commendable, it may not be sufficient to compensate for Korpisalo's shortcomings.
I agree but it's an unknown if he truly had vision/sightline issues. He was pretty good in close shots, it was the perimeter shots (softies) that went in so often. Also, Boston has one of the best goalie coaches in the league, he may be the X factor in all of this. This could also be one of those years that Korpi is good. Time will tell.

It's a tough one. So many of Korpisalo's goals against for us were these benign shots where you wonder how the f*** that went in.

And then he'd make a massive stop, a tough save.

Maybe Boston's coaching and goaltending staff can salvage something out of Korpisalo with a more defensive oriented team. But I'll have to see it to believe it. Did we play well in front of him defensively? No, we weren't great in front of him. He made those hero saves. The problem was he couldn't make the basic save even when there was no screen and it's deflating. Your team has a big moment - a goal, a big save, a penalty kill. And then a wrist shot from the top of the circle with barely any power on it fools him.
Or he couldn't see it. There's a reason he had eye laser surgery in the off-season. Wasn't there also some talk about his mask affecting sightlines? That would explain a lot on why he was so weak on perimeter shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad