Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Is that actually true?

It is but the real Ichabod was a colonel from Elizabeth, NJ. He’d be like my great-est grand uncle. But supposedly he’d been acquainted with Washington Irving through military channels and inspired the character’s name. His line ended after his son didn’t marry.

Ichabod and his siblings (1780s)

Their children (1810-20)

Their grand children (1830-40)

Their great grand children (1860-70)

Their great-great grand children (1890)

Their great-great-great grand children (my grandma who lived with us and told the story, born 1917)

Their great-great-great-great grand children (my mom b.1954)

Their great-great-great-great-great grand children (me b. 1986)

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
It is but the real Ichabod was a colonel from Elizabeth, NJ. He’d be like my great-est grand uncle. But supposedly he’d been acquainted with Washington Irving through military channels and inspired the character’s name. His line ended after his son didn’t marry.

Ichabod and his siblings (1780s)

Their children (1810-20)

Their grand children (1830-40)

Their great grand children (1860-70)

Their great-great grand children (1890)

Their great-great-great grand children (my grandma who lived with us and told the story, born 1917)

Their great-great-great-great grand children (my mom b.1954)

Their great-great-great-great-great grand children (me b. 1986)
This is great stuff. So cool that some individual families like yours have been here basically since the country was formed. However, how is the Crane relationship on your Mom's side when it's your last name? Did she marry a guy named Crane randomly? LOL

My family is European on both sides that entered the country during the Ellis Island immigration boom of the early 1900s. I'd love to be able to trace my lineage all the way back like this, but I have no idea if any records survive.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
My family is European on both sides that entered the country during the Ellis Island immigration boom of the early 1900s. I'd love to be able to trace my lineage all the way back like this, but I have no idea if any records survive.
Sometimes lineage can be pretty mundane. I know for a fact that on my mothers side, it was just a collection of grease balls from Sicily and Abuzzo with terrible genes who got lucky to get on a boat over here. Fathers side just greaseballs from around Dublin but the boat came over a few years earlier. Genes not that much better.

Reactions: LokiDog

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Sometimes lineage can be pretty mundane. I know for a fact that on my mothers side, it was just a collection of grease balls from Sicily and Abuzzo with terrible genes who got lucky to get on a boat over here. Fathers side just greaseballs from around Dublin but the boat came over a few years earlier. Genes not that much better.
Since my mother is Italian & my dad is Irish, I've always assumed this was a very similar thing for our family as well. I can probably change the name of the town from Abruzzo to Bari & use the story as my own.

Side note... whenever I hear that term, I immediately think of Goodfellas when Tommy DeSimone gets whacked & Henry Hill calling it "real greaseball shit among the Italians" LOL

• Haha
Reactions: DialUp

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This is great stuff. So cool that some individual families like yours have been here basically since the country was formed. However, how is the Crane relationship on your Mom's side when it's your last name? Did she marry a guy named Crane randomly? LOL

It’s a slightly long story - the cliff notes being that my dad was adopted and doesn’t know his lineage or history, has a really goofy difficult to pronounce last name and my mom died when I was young. I had a pretty contentious relationship with my dad, grandma Crane living with us growing up was very influential, etc so I took my mom’s maiden name to keep the Crane family tree alive since it actually had a cool history and was traceable and interesting.

The Crane family has at least 11-12 generations in the US going back to 1666. The first Crane came from England in the 1660s and the earliest records have him as one of the founders of Elizabethtown, NJ in ‘66. Supposedly Thomas Edison was descended from the Cranes on his mom’s side as well. It’s all Welsh, Scottish, English.

My dad is some unknown mixture of Russian, Austrian, etc. with an Italian last name.

Last edited:

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
It’s a slightly long story - the cliff notes being that my dad was adopted and doesn’t know his lineage or history, has a really goofy difficult to pronounce last name and my mom died when I was young. I had a pretty contentious relationship with my dad, grandma Crane living with us growing up was very influential, etc so I took my mom’s maiden name to keep the Crane family tree alive since it actually had a cool history and was traceable and interesting.

The Crane family has at least 11 generations in the US going back to 1689. Supposedly Thomas Edison was descended from the Cranes on his mom’s side. It’s all Welsh, Scottish, English.

My dad is some unknown mixture of Russian, Austrian, etc. with an Italian last name.
Really interesting, thanks for sharing. My last name’s lineage came from a guy from Wales. He was an indentured servant and came over in early 1700s. I guess he really wanted to get the eff out of there. Maybe he was allergic to sheep, lol. The family eventually settled in WV, I think there is some kind of local mountain named after us. I guess where the clan spread out around the thing. Never been, but I would be shocked if I didn’t have distant relatives there. We are lucky, there is a pretty decent report/document that includes that original guy right up to my grandfather.

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Really interesting, thanks for sharing. My last name’s lineage came from a guy from Wales. He was an indentured servant and came over in early 1700s. I guess he really wanted to get the eff out of there. Maybe he was allergic to sheep, lol. The family eventually settled in WV, I think there is some kind of local mountain named after us. I guess where the clan spread out around the thing. Never been, but I would be shocked if I didn’t have distant relatives there. We are lucky, there is a pretty decent report/document that includes that original guy right up to my grandfather.

Yeah I love being able to trace a lineage. I know what our family tartan is for the Scottish side and a lot of the stories and traditions. The first Crane to come over supposedly was involved in the founding or Newark and Elizabethtown (now Elizabeth) and then his kids, the first Cranes, born here, set up some mills and infrastructure that ended up becoming Cranford, NJ for the Cranes.

What’s really interesting to me is that among those first children born in America, was Hannah Crane, who married Thomas Huntington, because I grew up in Huntington.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I assume Sloth gets fired

It’s inevitable i think. I do have to say though, Anaheim since Jan have been more of a .500 team, and getting great goaltending from Gibson. So teams that lose to them shouldn‘t be too hard on themselves. Unlike the other sell off teams they haven’t really gotten worse since the TDL.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I assume Sloth gets fired
Replaced by this guy...

download-2.jpg

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m dragging my half alive ass to the Islanders game tonight so that Henrik can see Ovie in action. Hope he scores a hat trick and Islanders fans leave in tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad