Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. Saturday's game vs Buffalo could have easily been a 1PM start on TNT or ABC or whatever.
TNT doesn’t have the rights on Saturday and this weekend is ESPN/ABC showing every college basketball tournament final they can find.

And the 4PM ABC start against Pittsburgh again is insanely stupid because it overlaps with the tournament selection show. 7PM start doesn’t, but God forbid a game after dark on a Sunday…

Reactions: Cmox and RosensRug

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah this is the time where the NHL really needs to promote themselves between the Football and Baseball seasons. I see lost opportunities here, and if they really promoted the games like on TNT and abc can really get themselves out there better .
Problem is their TV partners are also promoting the NBA at the same time.

ESPN is also shoving college basketball down everyone’s throat, and an awful lot of that being women’s games that maybe 1000 people are watching.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

ESPN is also shoving college basketball down everyone’s throat, and an awful lot of that being women’s games that maybe 1000 people are watching.

It just stinks that hockey will always be at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to popularity. I don’t even watch basketball, have no desire.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

There have been quite of few women’s games that have gotten higher ratings than NHL games. The reality the NHL did a lot of harm mainstream wise being on OLN/VS/NBCSN for all those years. They are working from the bottom as a result and they have to do a better job promoting and protecting their young stars. ESPN is just doing business, it’s up to the league to get them to change it imo

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It just stinks that hockey will always be at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to popularity. I don’t even watch basketball, have no desire.
I like college basketball, but it’s completely ridiculous how much is televised, both men’s and women’s.

And honestly, the NBA is nowhere near as popular as ESPN acts like it is. It’s an extremely poor product that’s destroying the sport at all levels.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like college basketball, but it’s completely ridiculous how much is televised, both men’s and women’s.

And honestly, the NBA is nowhere near as popular as ESPN acts like it is. It’s an extremely poor product that’s destroying the sport at all levels.

Trying to get back into baseball this year. I am a big Yankees fan but it hasn’t been the same for me since Jeter and Mo retired. So going to try and really get more back into them. Think this will be an entertaining year.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Trying to get back into baseball this year. I am a big Yankees fan but it hasn’t been the same for me since Jeter and Mo retired. So going to try and really get more back into them. Think this will be an entertaining year.
I’m very excited for the pitch clock. Big time Yankee fan too. Wife is a Cubs fan.

I’m a baseball traditionalist, but the length of games was making it where I couldn’t make it past the 7th inning most nights.

I’m paying for the MLB package, and struggle to see full games. I’m hoping the majority of games end by 10, so I can see the end of games and get up for work in the morning.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m very excited for the pitch clock. Big time Yankee fan too. Wife is a Cubs fan.

I’m a baseball traditionalist, but the length of games was making it where I couldn’t make it past the 7th inning most nights.

I’m paying for the MLB package, and struggle to see full games. I’m hoping the majority of games end by 10, so I can see the end of games and get up for work in the morning.

Yeah exactly games are too long. Hockey is 2 and half hours maybe 2:45 tops if it goes into a SO? I remember the old Boston and Yankees games used to be like over 4 hours. Way too long. lol

Cubs fan also? At least it’s in a different league . Lol

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
There have been quite of few women’s games that have gotten higher ratings than NHL games. The reality the NHL did a lot of harm mainstream wise being on OLN/VS/NBCSN for all those years. They are working from the bottom as a result and they have to do a better job promoting and protecting their young stars. ESPN is just doing business, it’s up to the league to get them to change it imo
There are some very entertaining women players that aren’t UConn players. Caitlyn Clark for Iowa for example.

I do watch SOME women’s basketball mainly because my daughter plays and has interest in NC State. Also, fundamentally, the women tended to be smarter and better. Not so much any more. That said, there are an awful lot of TERRIBLE games on TV that would turn off the most ardent basketball fan, yet more and more make the top tier broadcasts.

The NHL has ceded two weekend nights (Friday and Sunday), and Saturday night is not the same in the US as it is in Canada. You’re right that the league doesn’t promote itself, but a lot of that is that it doesn’t have a real platform to promote itself.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yeah exactly games are too long. Hockey is 2 and half hours maybe 2:45 tops if it goes into a SO? I remember the old Boston and Yankees games used to be like over 4 hours. Way too long. lol

Cubs fan also? At least it’s in a different league . Lol
Those games are 20 years old now.

Very few complained about the sport in general, because games not involving those teams were still averaging 2:40 if not less. Analytics of everything hadn’t taken over. A few years ago, EVERY team adopted some form of “working the count” and “pitch counts”. Not to mention shifts and launch angles. That blew up the average of every game to where MLB had to do something about it.

I’m hoping that the sport becomes exciting again. Hit and run plays. Base stealing, etc. Give me back the game I grew up with in the late 70s through the 90s.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Those games are 20 years old now.

Very few complained about the sport in general, because games not involving those teams were still averaging 2:40 if not less. Analytics of everything hadn’t taken over. A few years ago, EVERY team adopted some form of “working the count” and “pitch counts”. Not to mention shifts and launch angles. That blew up the average of every game to where MLB had to do something about it.

I’m hoping that the sport becomes exciting again. Hit and run plays. Base stealing, etc. Give me back the game I grew up with in the late 70s through the 90s.

The only thing good about these long ass games is when you are at the game and are on a ridiculously long line just to get some chicken fingers , you only miss like one inning. lol

Reactions: LokiDog

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
TNT doesn’t have the rights on Saturday and this weekend is ESPN/ABC showing every college basketball tournament final they can find.

And the 4PM ABC start against Pittsburgh again is insanely stupid because it overlaps with the tournament selection show. 7PM start doesn’t, but God forbid a game after dark on a Sunday…
Reverse Sunday Vampires.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
At the risk of changing subjects; this article by John Ourand has this note about the NHL being in a better position to withstand the Diamond Sports bankruptcy than most:

[The NHL also is working with Diamond to reach a solution. At the end of 2021, the NHL was the first league to cut a digital rights deal with Diamond, and sources say the league is looking to accommodate the company. Of all the leagues, the NHL is, perhaps, in the best position in the unlikely event that Diamond fails to carry its games. The NHL already has a deal that allows ESPN to carry the league’s out-of-market games on ESPN+. The league could fashion a deal that would give ESPN the in-market rights, too.]

Full article here:

Reactions: egelband

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

There are some very entertaining women players that aren’t UConn players. Caitlyn Clark for Iowa for example.

I do watch SOME women’s basketball mainly because my daughter plays and has interest in NC State. Also, fundamentally, the women tended to be smarter and better. Not so much any more. That said, there are an awful lot of TERRIBLE games on TV that would turn off the most ardent basketball fan, yet more and more make the top tier broadcasts.

The NHL has ceded two weekend nights (Friday and Sunday), and Saturday night is not the same in the US as it is in Canada. You’re right that the league doesn’t promote itself, but a lot of that is that it doesn’t have a real platform to promote itself.
I'm sure there's way more women's college basketball games outdrawing NHL games. Let's take regular season Coyotes games as an example. Last time I looked the Yotes local ratings were 0.6 share of the Phoenix Market. That's an average of approximately 11,000 viewers a game. LOL @ Bettman thinking that's a viable hockey market.

Here's an article about a UConn women's game from a few years back that averaged a 5.6 in the NYC tri-state area on SNY. That's about 200,000 viewers which outdrew the Knicks & the Nets on the same night. LOL.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The only thing good about these long ass games is when you are at the game and are on a ridiculously long line just to get some chicken fingers , you only miss like one inning. lol

“I don’t know why you’re mad honey, I went to get us beers when there was 5 minutes left in the 1st and I made it back to our seat with literally 2.5 white claws before the start of the 3rd. What’s the big deal?”

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Kaprizov out for weeks ouch. Time for Zucc to go super saiyan

Unfortunately, much as I love Zucc, the Wild are very literally a lottery team without Kaprizov. He won’t be because the voters from the press blow and just look at stats, but he should be a Hart candidate. Instead Draistaitl and Panarin will get more votes than Kaprizov because of reputation. Meanwhile, the Wild legitimately f***ing suck and if Kaprizov were Panarin or Gaudreau or any other number of floating overrated point accumulaters who don’t actually change their teams’ win/loss ratio, no matter how many points they score, the Wild would be 26th in the NHL.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
“I don’t know why you’re mad honey, I went to get us beers when there was 5 minutes left in the 1st and I made it back to our seat with literally 2.5 white claws before the start of the 3rd. What’s the big deal?”

Like with Rangers games , I usually eat and drink before going to the game. Not sure if you are familiar with Tarrytown NY, some nice places to eat and have beer, then take the train, and it’s like a 20 min train ride to the stadium. Won’t have to worry about driving.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Unfortunately, much as I love Zucc, the Wild are very literally a lottery team without Kaprizov. He won’t be because the voters from the press blow and just look at stats, but he should be a Hart candidate. Instead Draistaitl and Panarin will get more votes than Kaprizov because of reputation. Meanwhile, the Wild legitimately f***ing suck and if Kaprizov were Panarin or Gaudreau or any other number of floating overrated point accumulaters who don’t actually change their teams’ win/loss ratio, no matter how many points they score, the Wild would be 26th in the NHL.
Yeah Kirill is a sick player, top 10 in the world easily. Well worth the wait for Minnesota.

Like with Rangers games , I usually eat and drink before going to the game. Not sure if you are familiar with Tarrytown NY, some nice places to eat and have beer, then take the train, and it’s like a 20 min train ride to the stadium. Won’t have to worry about driving.
Ayy I was in Tarrytown like 20 minutes ago lol

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

We are the Crane family of Sleepy Hollow fame. Ichabod is in the family tree. Tarrytown is definitely familiar:laugh:

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
That’s actually really cool. Btw how are you feeling?

Mildly better than Wednesday. I would say much better but its wild how stuff like this effects your lungs even after the congestion and shit starts to clear up. The antibiotics have definitely helped dry out whatever fluid was on the lungs and I’m way less congested and miserable, but it’s still crazy feeling short of breath all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad