Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Huh? Evason is a very good coach. Much much better than many of the coaches the Blue Jackets have employed. He's the guy they should have hired at the outset of this search.
I just remember the Minny team he coached being pretty meh.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The teams are meh but their records are excellent. He squeezed a lot out of those teams. Not his fault Guerin has done nothing to improve the roster.
Doesn’t he coach this super boring style as well? Don’t remember any kids being developed from that era other than Kaprizov but he came in when he was pretty old.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Doesn’t he coach this super boring style as well? Don’t remember any kids being developed from that era other than Kaprizov but he came in when he was pretty old.

Fiala, Boldy, Hartman, Eriksson Ek, and Gaudreau all had breakout seasons. Addyson’s only good season was under him. He plays an aggressive style and has been excellent at developing young players at both ends of the rink.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
As a kid who didn't get to see Mario play, thank god for Jagr. Honestly, I think Jagr deserves a Mt. Rushmore sculpt for every hockey fan (born from 1986-2000). His hands, creativity with the puck, and giant f***ing dumptruck dominated the DPE. Skating forgotten, I think he's a top-3 player all time.

E: There are so many better skaters than him which pushes him down for me.

Fiala, Boldy, Hartman, Eriksson Ek, and Gaudreau all had breakout seasons. Addyson’s only good season was under him. He plays an aggressive style and has been excellent at developing young players at both ends of the rink.

Honest to god, outside of C's I really like MINNY's team. I'm a huge fan of JEE, though. 2-way Cs are like DD+ models.

Reactions: andora and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Honest to god, outside of C's I really like MINNY's team. I'm a huge fan of JEE, though. 2-way Cs are like DD+ models.

Under Evason they were really well put together with smart players up and down the line-up but lacked offensive punch. Fiala for 1st & Faber will work out great but it's also set them back the last two seasons because they've just replaced him with Boldy instead of in addition. It's all self-inflicted to get out of the Parise and Suter contracts so I get that they are treading water but it's weird that Evason had to fall on the sword for that. Not his fault, as you said, Guerin hasn't found a solution to the centre problem.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Under Evason they were really well put together with smart players up and down the line-up but lacked offensive punch. Fiala for 1st & Faber will work out great but it's also set them back the last two seasons because they've just replaced him with Boldy instead of in addition. It's all self-inflicted to get out of the Parise and Suter contracts so I get that they are treading water but it's weird that Evason had to fall on the sword for that. Not his fault, as you said, Guerin hasn't found a solution to the centre problem.

Damn straight, Vec. I think even if they got another aggressive center, they could be a huge threat this year, in the way I like them to make the conference semis (see: win round 1). Just because of their skill on the boards in either wing. Their defense fits their scheme perfectly, too. IMO they are one RoR away from being a multi-conference finals threat. I really like their build.

Reactions: andora and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Damn straight, Vec. I think even if they got another aggressive center, they could be a huge threat this year, in the way I like them to make the conference semis (see: win round 1). Just because of their skill on the boards in either wing. Their defense fits their scheme perfectly, too. IMO they are one RoR away from being a multi-conference finals threat. I really like their build.

I don’t think they’ll do anything until next summer and after Guerin’s extremely conservative moves, I’m skeptical he’s able to make moves that’ll actually push them up a level. I also think Hynes is an extremely middling coach.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don’t think they’ll do anything until next summer and after Guerin’s extremely conservative moves, I’m skeptical he’s able to make moves that’ll actually push them up a level. I also think Hynes is an extremely middling coach.

Semi-unrelated - but it’s so fitting that Bill Guerin was subject to a third party audit that saw multiple executives exit the organization citing terrible working conditions, and then all that came of it is a “he’s doing great, trust us” followed by sweeping it hastily into a corner and anointing him as GM for Team USA for the upcoming 4 Nations Cup without another thought or question. This freaking league.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Semi-unrelated - but it’s so fitting that Bill Guerin was subject to a third party audit that saw multiple executives exit the organization citing terrible working conditions, and then all that came of it is a “he’s doing great, trust us” followed by sweeping it hastily into a corner and anointing him as GM for Team USA for the upcoming 4 Nations Cup without another thought or question. This freaking league.

uhh if you like the current canucks management group you might not want to bring too much attention to the guerin thing

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
uhh if you like the current canucks management group you might not want to bring too much attention to the guerin thing

Other than Tocchet’s gambling conviction, the worst you can say about Rutherford also places the most blame on Guerin.

Maybe Bill Guerin is a massive piece of shit. I don’t think it says good things about the Canucks’ staff that they are close with him but, really, that’s completely normal in NHL circles. Probably commend him for trying to protect the team.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Other than Tocchet’s gambling conviction, the worst you can say about Rutherford also places the most blame on Guerin.

Maybe Bill Guerin is a massive piece of shit. I don’t think it says good things about the Canucks’ staff that they are close with him but, really, that’s completely normal in NHL circles. Probably commend him for trying to protect the team.

i dunno. i don't think it's a coincidence rutherford announced a surprise retirement immediately after the lawsuit came to light and guerin pointed the finger at him. skalde was fired (in retaliation for reporting the assault, he claims) after guerin left the org. who do you think fired him?

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i dunno. i don't think it's a coincidence rutherford announced a surprise retirement immediately after the lawsuit came to light and guerin pointed the finger at him. skalde was fired (in retaliation for reporting the assault, he claims) after guerin left the org. who do you think fired him?

With what was going on behind the scenes with the ownership change at the time, I have no idea. No one really does. Everything I’ve ready was that Rutherford actually left because he wasn’t permitted to make moves he wanted to.

I’m sure Rutherford preferred to brush everything under the table and make the problem go away. Same with Allvin and everyone else.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
With what was going on behind the scenes with the ownership change at the time, I have no idea. No one really does. Everything I’ve ready was that Rutherford actually left because he wasn’t permitted to make moves he wanted to.

I’m sure Rutherford preferred to brush everything under the table and make the problem go away. Same with Allvin and everyone else.

sure. i'm not saying rutherford was fired because he encouraged donatelli to make a move on skaldes wife or anything but rutherford has a long history of having some pretty tumultuous "human relations" stuff going on with his teams

even if you take the reporting about his leaving the penguins at face value it's because he got into a heated argument with his boss (at the time the pens ceo) and -- by his own admission -- said some things he couldn't take back. then there's the stuff with rachel doerrie and the public bullying of boudreau here in vancouver. add that to the guerin coverup and...

anyways, i don't really care if rutherford is a nice guy or not. i'd prefer he was but i'm able to separate my fandom for the organization from my feelings for the people involved with the organization. if i wasn't i don't think i could even get past the aquilinis tbh. it does bug me tho when people act like other nhl organizations are hives of scum and villiany and turn a blind eye to the canucks org. if you're going to take a run at guerin for being a scumbag you should also take a run at rutherford for the same

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
sure. i'm not saying rutherford was fired because he encouraged donatelli to make a move on skaldes wife or anything but rutherford has a long history of having some pretty tumultuous "human relations" stuff going on with his teams

even if you take the reporting about his leaving the penguins at face value it's because he got into a heated argument with his boss (at the time the pens ceo) and -- by his own admission -- said some things he couldn't take back. then there's the stuff with rachel doerrie and the public bullying of boudreau here in vancouver. add that to the guerin coverup and...

anyways, i don't really care if rutherford is a nice guy or not. i'd prefer he was but i'm able to separate my fandom for the organization from my feelings for the people involved with the organization. if i wasn't i don't think i could even get past the aquilinis tbh. it does bug me tho when people act like other nhl organizations are hives of scum and villiany and turn a blind eye to the canucks org. if you're going to take a run at guerin for being a scumbag you should also take a run at rutherford for the same
The Doerrie thing is hilarious.

She was objectively a terrible hire.

She said some absolutely libellous stuff about the Canucks and Devils (and the Hughes family, and Petey, and MIller) on a podcast like a year or two before she was hired.

Hiring her was a fiasco. I have it on good authority that the team hired her without knowing about that podcast.

But where there's smoke, there's fire. I'm generally a proponent of believing women when they talk about running into casual misogyny in male-dominated workplaces. But Doerrie's situation just doesn't pass the smell test.

Like, do you think the Chicago tourism board is threatened by being the location where Jussi Smollett was 'mugged'?

Reactions: andora

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
The Doerrie thing is hilarious.

She was objectively a terrible hire.

She said some absolutely libellous stuff about the Canucks and Devils (and the Hughes family, and Petey, and MIller) on a podcast like a year or two before she was hired.

Hiring her was a fiasco. I have it on good authority that the team hired her without knowing about that podcast.

But where there's smoke, there's fire. I'm generally a proponent of believing women when they talk about running into casual misogyny in male-dominated workplaces. But Doerrie's situation just doesn't pass the smell test.
As a woman, it's not that I don't believe Doerrie experienced some casual misogyny during her time with the org... it's hard for male-dominated workplaces to completely rid themselves of casual misogyny (not sure you can completely "get rid of" stuff like this - people are human and human beings just... say things sometimes). And the impression I get of Doerrie is that she's someone who will find instances of misogyny wherever she goes.

It's all the other nonsense she spouted that, as you said, just doesn't pass the smell test. I think she's full of garbage in many senses and I don't take many of her allegations and all the random stuff she has come out with since very seriously. If it's true that Castonguay didn't like her very much I can't really fault Castonguay for that.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
My take on Doerrie is largely smell test... But her conduct on social media struck me as terribly unprofessional and I can see how she didn't cut it. The only indictment on the Canucks is that she was hired in the first place.

Castonguay is probably an absolute shark business woman who had to claw with everything she had to get where she is in a male dominated field and probably didn't have time to babysit a junior employee, told it like it was, and Doerrie threw a tantrum about it.

This is all conjecture, I don't know anything.

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The teams are meh but their records are excellent. He squeezed a lot out of those teams. Not his fault Guerin has done nothing to improve the roster.
Guerin has done fine. He inherited a couple of terrible contracts that were also cancerous pieces of shit.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's a shame because Rachel Doerrie and John Chayka probably had a ton to offer but were completely undone by naivety and a lack of maturity. I badly wanted them to succeed but John Chayka is pretty much blacklisted from the NHL and Doerrie seems hell bent on being a controversial podcaster.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
minnesota is
It's a shame because Rachel Doerrie and John Chayka probably had a ton to offer but were completely undone by naivety and a lack of maturity. I badly wanted them to succeed but John Chayka is pretty much blacklisted from the NHL and Doerrie seems hell bent on being a controversial podcaster.
I wouldn't compare the two. John Chayka was an NHL executive and general manager who ran a hockey ops. Doerrie was a junior entry level analyst who couldn't cut it. We give her situation way more mental real estate than it is actually worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad