Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’d argue the opposite. It’s a great cap hit but he’s UFA at the end of it. They only bought one UFA year. He’ll be a 26 year old UFA too.
Well, 27 by the time the season rolls around with his Aug birthday...

I think that's the right term from Byfield's POV. Either 5/6 from his side to hit ufa at 27/28 (Aug birthday again). Rather than max term to 30. Typically for bigger guys, I'd rather my team go max term. Or at worst a bridge then a max. Just to have the deal not go until 35 or later.

You just never know on the next contract. Benn started his current deal at age 28. Year 1 he puts up like 79 points, then in years 2-5 of the deal he's like a 50 odd point guy. Bounces back with 78 in year 6 and had 60 in year 7, which is about what you expect from him as he got older.

Thus, I think for Byfield, good to hit ufa at 27. Should be going well enough to get a good 3rd contract.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you want to be pedantic, he’ll be 26 when he becomes UFA. Yes, he’ll play that season at 27 years old.
I just use the age that he would be with his fellow draft class to keep any comparisons even. 2020 draft class in 2029 will be 27 by the Sept 15 cutoff.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
i think la got a very good deal for the duration of the byfield contract. he should outperform that quite easily.

there seems to be a shift (that started with the matthews contract) with star players now seeing the likelihood of the cap doubling in the next 8 years as higher than the chances that they fall off a cliff or suffer a career ending injury. the mackinnon and draisaitl contracts were thought to be fair value but ended up being the best value in the league for their teams, and the players lost out on a lot by taking so much term. hughes is in that same boat now for the next three years - if he signed an identical deal to petey last contract, he'd be up for $12M+ right now.

this thought was spurred by rumblings that draisaitl is only going to extend for 2-3 years in edmonton. oilers are pushing for 4-5 minimum, but it's not going to be 8.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
It should in theory be a good deal for both sides but I have no confidence in Blake properly using whatever cap space he has opened up with the surplus value of Byfield.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

As a Calgarian I’m thrilled to report that on Monday the Flames, city and province will officially start the building of the $926 million Event Centre with a sod turning event.I’m told design renderings will also be unveiled Monday, almost nine years after Ken King unveiled the team’s first vision of a new NHL arena.The 18,000-seat home of the Flames will also include a community rink, a parkade and an indoor and outdoor event plaza.It will be built two blocks north of the Saddledome, where the massive Cowboys tent is currently being dismantled.The hope is that construction will be completed in time for the 2027-28 season.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Rogers Arena goes from the 7th oldest arena to the 6th.

i really hope vancouver gets a new building soon. i've spent considerable time in all three of the newest buildings (vegas, seattle and detroit) and they are so much nicer than rogers

the issue is they can't significantly enlarge the current building and there's not really any appetite to move the team elsewhere in the metro area

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
That Saddledome is over 40 years old now, time for an update.

agreed that the saddledome is a shit hole

very annoying though that my tax dollars are funding the replacement. f***ing calgary. f*** murray edwards.

hope when vancouver eventually builds the replacement aquilini doesn't bend the city of vancouver / province of bc over as badly

Reactions: BimJenning

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
agreed that the saddledome is a shit hole

very annoying though that my tax dollars are funding the replacement. f***ing calgary. f*** murray edwards.

hope when vancouver eventually builds the replacement aquilini doesn't bend the city of vancouver / province of bc over as badly

The owners for the Flames told the city and the province pay up or they taking their business elsewhere. I’m sure the fine folks of Calgary won’t be bothered by the rest of the province funding their brand new arena cause ‘the spirit of the west’ or some bullshit slogan the city uses.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i really hope vancouver gets a new building soon. i've spent considerable time in all three of the newest buildings (vegas, seattle and detroit) and they are so much nicer than rogers

the issue is they can't significantly enlarge the current building and there's not really any appetite to move the team elsewhere in the metro area
Where around downtown core would have the space for an Arena? Plus, the land value now is through the roof.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Where around downtown core would have the space for an Arena? Plus, the land value now is through the roof.

The viaducts are subject to be coming down for years, that land has potential for new buildings, business space and parks.

The location for Roger’s Arena is prime real estate

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The viaducts are subject to be coming down for years, that land has potential for new buildings, business space and parks.

I just didn’t see another option if what some prior posters were saying about a brand new arena.
A Reno of the current Roger’s arena to expand the footprint of it to take up the viaduct room would be very expensive.

Reactions: gsharpe

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Should’ve been demolished years ago for sure.

It will actually be more difficult and time consuming as well as impractical to build an entire new arena along the northeast false creek rezoning considering there’s already multiple projects that are already set in stone (plaza of nations and an entire waterfront district) essentially just waiting upon the demolition of the viaducts.

Also, being the 6th oldest arena is a bit misleading. For instance, Dallas’s American Airlines center was built in 2001, only 6 years after us, and it’s the 9th youngest building. Also, with Utah joining the league, they actually have the 3rd oldest building in the league (Delta center built in 1991), so we’re actually still “7th” (1995).

16 arenas were built between 1996-2001. Compared to some, our arena is quite easily the most practical and accessible, densest, and attractive just from a location standpoint, with another $200M of renovations within the next 2-3 years already set in stone. Once those vidaducts that currently sandwich the concourse are demolished, I expect even more upgrades.

Reactions: racerjoe

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Should’ve been demolished years ago for sure.

It will actually be more difficult and time consuming as well as impractical to build an entire new arena along the northeast false creek rezoning considering there’s already multiple projects that are already set in stone (plaza of nations and an entire waterfront district) essentially just waiting upon the demolition of the viaducts.

Also, being the 6th oldest arena is a bit misleading. For instance, Dallas’s American Airlines center was built in 2001, only 6 years after us, and it’s the 9th youngest building. Also, with Utah joining the league, they actually have the 3rd oldest building in the league (Delta center built in 1991), so we’re actually still “7th” (1995).

16 arenas were built between 1996-2001. Compared to some, our arena is quite easily the most practical and accessible, densest, and attractive just from a location standpoint, with another $200M of renovations within the next 2-3 years already set in stone. Once those vidaducts that currently sandwich the concourse are demolished, I expect even more upgrades.

The city wants to rebuild Hogan's Alley where the viaducts are in Chinatown too, I'd say go for it. But the land where the viaducts are now, prime, prime land with potential.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
The city wants to rebuild Hogan's Alley where the viaducts are in Chinatown too, I'd say go for it. But the land where the viaducts are now, prime, prime land with potential.
Considering the amount of meddling the city has done to that area, not sure the residents there are going to be thrilled.

I won’t support a project such as a stadium or any commercial development at or near Hogans Alley. The city has done irreparable harm to that community and those viaducts came at the cost of an entire community of predominantly black families being uprooted and displaced.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Considering the amount of meddling the city has done to that area, not sure the residents there are going to be thrilled.

I won’t support a project such as a stadium or any commercial development at or near Hogans Alley. The city has done irreparable harm to that community and those viaducts came at the cost of an entire community of predominantly black families being uprooted and displaced.

When has the city ever actually cared about its residents?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00