Around the League Thread | The one where the NHL once again is the worst.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Nah I think that windows starting to close. It’s the beginning of the end for them imo. Not going to get a softer road to the cup than they had

Dodged Vegas in Round 1 due to LA beating Chicago with 90 sec to go.

Got a weak and old LA Kings team in Round 1.

Faced Vancouver with no Demko and then no Boeser for Game 7 in Round 2.

Faced Dallas in the WCF, who were old and beat up with Hintz and Tanev getting injured.

Were overall healthy through 3 rounds They lost Evander Kane in the Finals but meh.

It was their year. This was a golden path.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The Oilers wouldn't have even made it out of Rnd 2 if Demko was healthy. Wouldn't assume they will be back in the Finals next year.

They still don't have a bonafide goalie, or a deep enough defence.

that, and an "average" Pettersson would have been good enough to beat them. I hope we get a healthy Pettersson next year, or at least, an average one, and a healthy Demko. bro I feel we are as good as the Florida Panthers.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Dodged Vegas in Round 1 due to LA beating Chicago with 90 sec to go.

Got a weak and old LA Kings team in Round 1.

Faced Vancouver with no Demko and then no Boeser for Game 7 in Round 2.

Faced Dallas in the WCF, who were old and beat up with Hintz and Tanev getting injured.

Were overall healthy through 3 rounds They lost Evander Kane in the Finals but meh.

It was their year. This was a golden path.
Yep. They’re not going to get that again

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This was the best outcome out of the game. Shut down the Coilers top line and sent McDavid along with toxic loser annoying Coiler fanbase crying.

Coilers overachieved and were lucky to get this far but McDavid deserved that conn smythe. Divesaitl on the other end had an disappearing act of the ages.

Happy for Luongo, Bob and the Panthers. Have a bit of soft spot for the Panthers as I had a Panthers tshirt as a kid gifted to me by my parents in the mid 90s. What a great day!
Guy got a free pass for that Randy Macho Man flying elbow to the head of the Selkie Trophy Winner. A sack of shit.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
You did it, Roberto. f*** yes.

Circling back to McDavid - not a fan of him not coming out to get the Smythe. Other recipients from the losing team have - notably Giguere.
I'll defend McDavid a bit here.

We have no idea the communication between McDavid and the on-ice crew. Maybe they told him too late and he was making his way over but then the stanley cup was getting put out there. Maybe he sayed "f*** you I'm leaving." We don't really know, so until we know, I don't think it's fair to make a statement on his character (not saying you are but you know).

Reactions: Nopefully

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_1356.jpeg

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I'll defend McDavid a bit here.

We have no idea the communication between McDavid and the on-ice crew. Maybe they told him too late and he was making his way over but then the stanley cup was getting put out there. Maybe he sayed "f*** you I'm leaving." We don't really know, so until we know, I don't think it's fair to make a statement on his character (not saying you are but you know).
I mean, it’s 99% because he doesn’t view the Conn Smythe as the final award. This is exactly the same as teams not touching the conference trophies.

Personally, I don’t care. Like, who is he offending? Who cares.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Riding McDavid that much really ran out of rope at the end. Played him for half of the third which was their undoing at the end there. When all was said and done, it was the Oilers inability to shore up quality depth to support McDavid, which has been the problem with them his entire career, that had them come up one goal short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad