Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
we are seeing the best players of our generation destroyed by cap limits, starving for defence, naked without starting goalies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fixed that for you
Well if you are elite you should get paid. But as they say, rising tide raises all boats. So up to management to decide who to pay and who to move off. Like Nurse in Edm. And others around the nhl.

Or you just get unlucky like Col and Landy gets hurt but has an unknown return. Nuke, he had some issues prior, but they rolled the dice on a long term deal with him.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
8.25M x 8 for Oettinger. How does this affect Demko's potential renewal?

I'm wondering if Demko's injury history will make it such that his contract will be closer to Swayman/Oettinger than the Shesterkin 11M tier.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I'm wondering if Demko's injury history will make it such that his contract will be closer to Swayman/Oettinger than the Shesterkin 11M tier.
I'm more weary of term on Demko than the cap hit given his injury history. Cap hit will be high regardless. 2014 pick so in 2026 he is 30.5 years old with his late birthday.

Ottinger had 1 year of RFA left. So basically all ufa money.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think goalie cap reform is needed but it may take one more round of untenable contracts to get there.

doing it would help the goalies secure term and avoid cap pressure enhanced career death spirals like jack campbell. pretty much no goalie, no matter how good, can live up to a long term deal being paid what they are worth to the team at their best. price and bobrovsky show this. goalies just are not as consistent as skaters and should not be subject to a cap model with contract options that assumes they can be that way. it is much harder for them to contribute at a lower level as their skills fade or they deal with injuries, and it is normal for them to have off years because of injuries and the mental aspect of the position. unfortunately, the fan reaction to the cap implications of those things magnify the pressure that goalies already feel in a lonely position and can make it really hard for them to enjoy the fan appreciation they deserve for their careers.

the nhl seems to be hoping the market will eventually efficiently allow for goalies as a portion of cap but the problem is that when goalies are good they are very valuable to teams and it is hard to rationalize not paying them the same as skaters or refusing them term. until recently i think teams were trying to build in a discount for goalies for the risk but i think that is in the process of swinging the other way. really it is not fair to not pay a superstar goalie accordingly when they are a superstar goalie. the cap is pretty arbitrary.

so i think a goalie salary should include league wide defined performance bonuses that do not count against the cap and allows the goalie to increase his salary by about 2/3 of base. someone like swayman should earn about $5m with the potential to earn another $3.5m if he had a season like last year. that secures him term and hedges for both sides.

another option is to allow teams one no penalty goalie buyout every five years with no cap penalty after that goalie has played a minimum number of games for the team.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021

Don’t think Demko was ever in that next tier, Vezina winner, several long, deep playoff runs with sustained elite level of play for Shesterkin.

Oettinger is an excellent comparable, can’t see Demko coming in more than that. The former has about 42 more career playoff games than him.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
Don’t think Demko was ever in that next tier, Vezina winner, several long, deep playoff runs with sustained elite level of play for Shesterkin.

Oettinger is an excellent comparable, can’t see Demko coming in more than that. The former has about 42 more career playoff games than him.
Demko definitely has much more pedigree than Swayman though, who isn't particularly "proven".

I think the 8.25M standard is reasonable for Demko, albeit with a shorter term due to injury history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad