Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
McDavid looks like Marner on steroids. Draisaitl may be banged up. Oilers being beaten up by the heavier Panthers. Our core would be in wheelchairs if they made it this far.

Problem with our goalies has been giving up a stinker at key moments. Andersen was solid vs Caps, Bruins and Jackets but folded like a cheap suitcase in big moments.

McDavid has looked like that for much of the playoffs, IMO.
Heck his stats read the same way, 5 goals in 21 games, but 29 assists.

All goals, all situations. PPG included.

Hyman - 14 goals in 21 games - .67 GPG
Draisaitl - 10 goals in 21 games - .48 GPG
RNH - 6 goals in 21 games - .29 GPG
McDavid - 5 goals in 21 games - .24 GPG

Nylander - 3 goals in 4 games - .75 GPG
Knies - 2 goals in 7 games - .29 GPG
Matthews - 1 goal in 5 games - .20 GPG
marner - 1 goal in 7 games - .14 GPG

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
McDavid has 3 points in the series and no other Oiler has more than 1.

McDavid leads all forwards on both teams for Shots on goal, high danger chances for and individual expected goals. Hyman leads for total scoring chances as McDavid just keeps feeding him.

Team save%: .955-.868 Cats (updated to reflect the actual goalies save%)

Bob is stealing the show this series.

We've had plenty of times where our forwards lead in shots on goal, high danger chances, expected goals.... all that matters, is produce and win.

Reactions: WillNy29

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Looking at all the finalists since the lockout and the answer is obvious.

2024 - Florida, Bobrovsky*
2023 - Florida, Bobrovsky
2022 - Tampa, Vasilevski
2021 - Montreal, Price; Tampa, Vasilevski*
2020 - Tampa, Vasilevski*
2019 - Boston, Rask; St. Louis, Binnington*
2018 - Vegas, Fleury
2017 - Nashville, Rinne
2016 - N/A
2015 - N/A
2014 - NYR, Lundquist; LA, Quick*
2013 - Boston, Rask
2012 - NJ, Brodeur; LA, Quick*
2011 - Vancouver, Luongo; Boston, Rask*
2010 - N/A
2009 - Pittsburgh, Fleury*
2008 - Pittsburgh, Fleury
2007 - Anaheim, Gibson*
2006 - N/A
*Cup winner

If you do the same for defense it's a very, very, very, similar list of teams with Norris caliber defensemen.

So hard to believe Dubas couldn't see this for himself the entire time he was here.

2011 was all Tim Thomas. Dude was a freakin WARRIOR out there especially in the cup finals

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
So half had elite goaltending, and half didn't....

""

JFresh is horrible, everyone knows it. His Cowan model last summer was enough for me to never take anything he posts seriously again. He literally has a 914sv% goalie as red in there. There is a 902 goalie in there and then every single one is 908 or over.

He also put the goals saved above expected as a per game stat which is pretty funny because lots of those goalies put up like +20 GSAx in their runs which would be godly numbers across an entire season. Quick in 2014 is in the red with a 911 and 11 GSAx in his 26 game run. Ya sure JFresh.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
JFresh is horrible, everyone knows it. His Cowan model last summer was enough for me to never take anything he posts seriously again. He literally has a 914sv% goalie as red in there. There is a 902 goalie in there and then every single one is 908 or over.

He also put the goals saved above expected as a per game stat which is pretty funny because lots of those goalies put up like +20 GSAx in their runs which would be godly numbers across an entire season. Quick in 2014 is in the red with a 911 and 11 GSAx in his 26 game run. Ya sure JFresh.

What kind of a f***ing name is JFresh? This is hockey, not the Backstreet Boys.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
IMG_6428.jpeg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

SO... what I read, is you don't know how to read this chart at all?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
All while simultaneously justifying the Leafs paying among the least amount of cap to the goalie position, saying that's perfectly ok because goaltending is just "voodoo".
Putting aside that goalie pay and performance don't correlate very well, where did you get the idea that the Leafs pay "among the least amount of cap to the goalie position"? We may have this year under Treliving, but we didn't previously. We just don't have one of the handful of goalies in this league worth paying a big amount to.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
SO... what I read, is you don't know how to read this chart at all?
Oh please go on. He has anything under a 920 sv% as red. I see almost all elite goalies or elite goalie runs on that list. That is not a 50/50 list, that's a 90/10 list. Only 2 maybe 3 of those out of the last 17 weren't elite goaltending performances.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
McDavid has 3 points in the series and no other Oiler has more than 1.

McDavid leads all forwards on both teams for Shots on goal, high danger chances for and individual expected goals. Hyman leads for total scoring chances as McDavid just keeps feeding him.

Team save%: .955-.868 Cats (updated to reflect the actual goalies save%)

Bob is stealing the show this series.
No disagreement there. On the flip side, outside of McDavid, the Panthers are doing a very good job shutting down the rest of the Oilers forwards. Drai, Hyman, RNH, Bouchard (the blueline threat) have all been neutralized effectively.

Reactions: Zybalto

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Oh please go on. He has anything under a 920 sv% as red. I see almost all elite goalies or elite goalie runs on that list. That is not a 50/50 list, that's a 90/10 list. Only 2 maybe 3 of those out of the last 17 weren't elite goaltending performances.

The colours are a representation of the distribution of data. Red represents the poorest results, dark red the bottom, blue the better results, dark blue the best results. There is no intent to suggest bad performances, just that it's the poorest result on the list... 90.2% is the worst result on the list... it gets the darkest red. This is how statistics are presented.

Also, when you talk about 50/50 vs. 90/10.... the point here is that they aren't known as Elite career goalies... These aren't 90% elite career goalies... They might have been elite performances, at the right time, but the discussion the prior pages, including my posting, was do you need an elite career goalie?... and for Final's performances... which I was referencing... about half of the goalies in finals are elite goalies... the rest not. I would suggest that winning goalies, is less than 50% elite goalies for winning the Cup....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad