Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maurice seems to

Barkov was also known as a playoff underperformer … until these playoffs
Only followed the Panthers since last playoffs and Barkov seemed good just not great like this playoffs. Good is a word that I don’t think I can use to describe our top guys. Maybe only Reilly.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
The colours are a representation of the distribution of data. Red represents the poorest results, dark red the bottom, blue the better results, dark blue the best results. There is no intent to suggest bad performances, just that it's the poorest result on the list... 90.2% is the worst result on the list... it gets the darkest red. This is how statistics are presented.

Also, when you talk about 50/50 vs. 90/10.... the point here is that they aren't known as Elite career goalies... These aren't 90% elite career goalies... They might have been elite performances, at the right time, but the discussion the prior pages, including my posting, was do you need an elite career goalie?... and for Final's performances... which I was referencing... about half of the goalies in finals are elite goalies... the rest not. I would suggest that winning goalies, is less than 50% elite goalies for winning the Cup....
Who isn't known as an elite goalie? Niemi, Binnington, and Kuemper? Pretty far from 50/50.

Now defend his Cowan model last summer. Or any model on a big Dman like edmundson etc

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Got that right. Leon Diver has been a joke this series, and McDavid sure as hell doesn't look like the greatest player in league history. This is the big show, and both have been ineffective compared to Barkov.
Bob also made them look normal too.

But I like what Corrado said yesterday on Overdrive, Barkov is an excellent defensive C, Bennett is a very good defensive C and Lundell is a good defensive C. Thus, it won’t be a huge difference getting last change for the Oilers

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Who isn't known as an elite goalie? Niemi, Binnington, and Kuemper? Pretty far from 50/50.

Now defend his Cowan model last summer. Or any model on a big Dman like edmundson etc

I'm not a JFresh defender... I just stated you had no idea what you were commenting on with the chart.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Bob also made them look normal too.

But I like what Corrado said yesterday on Overdrive, Barkov is an excellent defensive C, Bennett is a very good defensive C and Lundell is a good defensive C. Thus, it won’t be a huge difference getting last change for the Oilers

The Panthers are simply built right, and weren't gifted ten #1 picks to get there either.

Reactions: Gabriel426

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Happy Friday everyone

1000003885.jpg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not my fault his chart is displaying something to push an agenda. It's false.
All the best... you still don't understand the data or what it represents. No point in discussing something with someone who just doesn't understand what they are looking at.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
All the best... you still don't understand the data or what it represents. No point in discussing something with someone who just doesn't understand what they are looking at.
Have a great day you genius. Hopefully your brain isn't too heavy. 13/17 of the past winners are elite goalies. Far from 50/50 as you yourself stated.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Pietrangelo x2, Makar, Hedman x2, Keith x3. Doughty x2, Chara, Lidstrom.

Seems quite often when the lesser known goalie gets it done or wins when not playing well, it's also aided by having an all world #1D.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When you think you are the smartest guy in the room, you don't listen to your staff. They told him to stay away from Murray but he was smarter.
He thought he was ahead of the curve but he was really behind the 8 ball.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed! A team from Atlantic Division has been representing the EAST since 2019

Boston (2019)
Tampa (2020, 2021, 2022)
MTL (2021)
FLA (2023, 2024)

and ....

f*** Bettman
Montreal was in the North Division and honestly if it was not for that, don’t think they would even make it to the playoffs. But TB did won the Cup that year

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
I'm making a case that the Oilers are the only team in playoffs history to face third string goalies and backups the entirety of the playoffs.

I don't care what anyone says. Bobrovsky is a backup. Let's not forget he didnt play until game 4 of last year's series against Boston.

:sarcasm:

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Outside of Vasilevsky, Thomas, Quick, and Holtby, I'm not sure who else you could even think is an "elite goalie".
Crawford doesn't scream elite with a 918 career sv% across 500gp? Murray wins two cups, that's not luck and then he ran into injury problems. Osgood played 750 games with a .650win% has 3 cups and another final appearance. Bobrovsky is undeniably elite (im counting this year its over). And Fleury was an undeniable top 5 goalie for a lot of his career.

Unless you only consider the top 3 goalies in the league elite, I'm not sure how all those guys aren't elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmo89

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Bob has been lights out, but FLA system and d-zone play makes it really easy on the goaltenders. Look at all of the defensive stats, FLA leads in every category.

But you need to know what you have going into the playoffs. You get the odd anomaly like Hill and Binnington but for the most part, every team has a goalie that you know what your gonna get play wise for the most part. There's the odd time where your starter goalie shits the bed like Fluery in Pittsburgh for a few years or Hellyebuck in Winnipeg this year.

Pietrangelo x2, Makar, Hedman x2, Keith x3. Doughty x2, Chara, Lidstrom.

Seems quite often when the lesser known goalie gets it done or wins when not playing well, it's also aided by having an all world #1D.
Seems like having a strong backend is the key to winning the cup.. Meanwhile we have iced garbage for almost 6 or 7 seasons straight.

Reactions: weems and TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad