Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Simply put, if you want to win a cup focus on player data and the eye test of the players that perform in that quest. Just doing that alone you will be looking to sign playoff performers.

Though which Hyman playoff performance while the was with the Leafs suggested he was going to do anything close to this?

Great player, and in retrospect a mistake to let him go, but he's had a unicorn of a development curve

Reactions: TheShape

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Though which Hyman playoff performance while the was with the Leafs suggested he was going to do anything close to this?

Great player, and in retrospect a mistake to let him go, but he's had a unicorn of a development curve
The eye test told you he had consistently demonstrated a desire to get possession of the puck. He was working every shift to get that.

Dubas sucked, he was what I said off the hop. You want some laughs drag up my comments about Dubas when he was hired etc. Those initial threads should contain posts that read... Snake oil salesman, The face of dumb, I don't trust him etc.

It is what it is. This situation we are in is not some sort of who could have possibly known type of deals. Its black and white. A lot of people confidently called it out.

Hyman is not a unicorn. Just like all the other players Dubas let slip.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What does that have to do with summer training? I have never seen a report of any of our guys out of shape or saying that they weren’t skating during the off-season. NEVER. Anyone suggesting that’s the case is literally delusional. They have their playoff issues for sure but to randomly throw out that they aren’t skating and working out in the summer is a new level of unwarranted hate I just can’t get behind. This is Toronto, if that was the case it would be every where when training camp opens.
There was a picture of a few of them at a golf outing without shirts on…..upper body could use some work.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolyCrap

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So McD and McDrai go to the SCF before the 3 amigos. Who could have guessed? I guess the days of blaming those two for the Oilers playoff failures is officially over. Who do we blame next to defend our 3 super elite players for their playoff failues?

This is the time of year that my anger towards this organization starts to grow and it peaks when the SC is lifted by a team not the Leafs. The hockey will be great but it pisses me off that this organization with all it's advantages continues to fail. f*** everybody associated with the TMLs management and the star players who are afraid of their own shadows. Here's hoping you choke on that bonus money on July 1st.

/endRant

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
All this horseshit talk of us being "fundamentally flawed" and wanting desperately to dump Mitch, are so full of shit.

Team is better than the Oilers and look where they are now. Once you're a good competitive team, it's all random bullshit after that. Defense? Cody f***in' Ceci and Darnell Nurse? Give me a break. Goalie - Stuart Skinner/Pickford? f*** Off. This random shit. Marner is a great player who needs to get his shit together come play off time and you assholes want to dump him for anyone willing to take on the money.

We had 1 year where we actually choked against the god damn Habs, other than that we got beat by teams equal (Columbus) or better than us. Before the Matthews/Marner era we were pure garbage and if Leaf management would act like the posters here - we would be headed right back to those times.

Oilers in the finals - go f*** yourself hockey gods
too funny
If u think Mitch Marner is a great hockey player, I have some ocean frontage for sale of Saskatchewan . I'll let it go at a good price to you

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
too funny
If u think Mitch Marner is a great hockey player, I have some ocean frontage for sale of Saskatchewan . I'll let it go at a good price to you
Mitch might want to watch that McDavid highlight goal. How is it possible for such a skilled player to dangle in a dirty area and score a goal?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Playing with good players helps, but he was one of the best forwards when he was with the Leafs. They’ve been searching for a couple of guys like him with speed, size, and tenacity, since he left.

They didn’t let him go because of his ability, it was because they mismanage the cap.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That was selfish of McDavid. I’m sure there was someone open on the perimeter to pass to.
Come on, they do not have an Edmundson to pass it to but yeah, I am not sure what Mitch would have done being that close to the net. Kind of reminds me of being in the deep end of the pool when I was learning to swim.

It helped neither of the Dallas defenders took the body and went for the wussy, ineffective poke checks
What a choke job by the Stars. Up 2-1 in the series and 2-0 in game 4 and they go off the cliff. The Oilers had 10 SOG last night and they could not beat Skinner. LOL.

Trade for Marner Jim Nill. You are missing a super elite playmaking, super defensive winger.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Mitch might want to watch that McDavid highlight goal. How is it possible for such a skilled player to dangle in a dirty area and score a goal?
Mitchy can’t shoot and doesn’t even try. I think it’s more likely he watched how Panarin avoided getting hit by 6 feet on the own zone give-aways.
Matthews, on the other hand, is probably thinking he’ll lay low in AZ until they claim the off-season championship in September.

Reactions: ToneDog

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
In all seriousness, Mitch has to be traded. 2 reasons
Leafs need a quality Dman
Free up some cap

Oilers were going thru same situation. Trade for Ekholm saved our defence. When u get a quality Dman like that, it makes the other dman better.
Would Leafs consider a Seth Jones + trade?
Pesce?
Parayko?

Reactions: KMNRB and ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In all seriousness, Mitch has to be traded. 2 reasons
Leafs need a quality Dman
Free up some cap

Oilers were going thru same situation. Trade for Ekholm saved our defence. When u get a quality Dman like that, it makes the other dman better.
Would Leafs consider a Seth Jones + trade?
Pesce?
Parayko?
Yeah our galaxy brained GM traded for ROR, who had no interest in staying here when Ekholm was the right target. If the Oilers win the Cup they should engrave Dubas' name as an honourable mention for gifting them Hyman. Hey did you know that his contract will not age well and he has bum knees?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah our galaxy brained GM traded for ROR, who had no interest in staying here when Ekholm was the right target. If the Oilers win the Cup they should engrave Dubas' name as an honourable mention for gifting them Hyman. Hey did you know that his contract will not age well and he has bum knees?
I seen the blog from a sports writer when we signed Hyman. He stated the contract was a terrible signing by Edmonton and we would regret it. 5.5 /yr until 2028 aint bad. He will be 35. He has missed 11 games in 3 years. I believe a couple of games were suspension. Goal numbers go up every year

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I seen the blog from a sports writer when we signed Hyman. He stated the contract was a terrible signing by Edmonton and we would regret it. 5.5 /yr until 2028 aint bad. He will be 35. He has missed 11 games in 3 years. I believe a couple of games were suspension. Goal numbers go up every year
The Oilers have gotten better milage out of Hyman in three years than the Leafs have gotten from Tavares in 6 for half the money and we have one more year left to watch him further decline. His numbers have increased every year and now he has helped get the Oilers to the SCF. Meanwhile Tavares thinks the Leafs are close.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Big questions with Hyman we're always health and longevity. Most here loved him, but term to a guy who was constantly injured and plays incredibly hard was a gamble. Paying off in spades now though

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So both teams in the finals have a goalie not even on their roster making 4.5m+ (Campbell making 5) lol... Pretty funny. Shows its still possible to make it to the end with some bad cap moves.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
"The whole country will be backing the Oilers as Canada's team as we haven't won a Cup since 1993" - Wayne Gretzky

Do you guys agree with this ? I'm the type that only will cheer on the Leafs bringing the cup back. If Edmonton wins I'd be kind of happy for McDavid and Drai but I wouldn't be too thrilled overall. Definitely rooting for the Panthers to keep the dream alive.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Zach Hyman scores the Conference finals series winning goal that propels the Toronto Maple Leafs, Edmonton Oilers on to the Stanley Cup finals.

Leaf Nation fans forced to live vicariously through past players success for playoff results.

Hyman's playoff leading 14th goal was enough to send Oilers on to the Cup finals in 2-1 win, so a Canadian team can attempt to win the Stanley Cup something that hasn't happened in over 30 years,

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Zach Hyman scores the Conference finals series winning goal that propels the Toronto Maple Leafs, Edmonton Oilers on to the Stanley Cup finals.

Leaf Nation fans forced to live vicariously through past players success for playoff results.

Hyman's playoff leading 14th goal was enough to send Oilers on to the Cup finals in 2-1 win, so a Canadian team can attempt to win the Stanley Cup something that hasn't happened in over 30 years,

I don't feel 'forced' to do anything, seems kind of insecure to be feel that way.

Reactions: Menzinger and bax

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
too funny
What I don't understand is why lots of you guys remotely care enough to come read the thoughts of the fanbase of an eliminated eastern conference team on a night/day where your team clinched a finals birth. As a Leafs fans if the scenarios were reversed I literally would not even remotely give a f*** what someone out on the west coast eliminated weeks ago thought about the Leafs. It's just strange to see the little brother complex with Canadian fanbases. Enjoy the ride

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Big questions with Hyman we're always health and longevity. Most here loved him, but term to a guy who was constantly injured and plays incredibly hard was a gamble. Paying off in spades now though
He only had the one bad year of 2019-20 for injury. He played 51 games. Besides that, he has been very durable.
Very similar to Kurri with McDavid.
Very Likable player.
Hyman still has 3-4 good years in him. He could be well over 300 goals in career when done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad