Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
All this horseshit talk of us being "fundamentally flawed" and wanting desperately to dump Mitch, are so full of shit.

Team is better than the Oilers and look where they are now. Once you're a good competitive team, it's all random bullshit after that. Defense? Cody f***in' Ceci and Darnell Nurse? Give me a break. Goalie - Stuart Skinner/Pickford? f*** Off. This random shit. Marner is a great player who needs to get his shit together come play off time and you assholes want to dump him for anyone willing to take on the money.

We had 1 year where we actually choked against the god damn Habs, other than that we got beat by teams equal (Columbus) or better than us. Before the Matthews/Marner era we were pure garbage and if Leaf management would act like the posters here - we would be headed right back to those times.

Oilers in the finals - go f*** yourself hockey gods

It's not random bullshit when your stars actually produce in the playoffs.

If Marner was producing like Draisaitl, or heck, even just carrying over his regular season production to the playoffs, we'd all be talking about giving him an extension asap. We'd also probably have some more series wins under our belts.

And he's not alone, of course. The other two haven't produced either.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
man hanging out in the main boards made me realize just how obnoxious and terrible some oilers fans are on here. Yea I’m rooting for them but their fans have some extreme little bro complex. I saw a guy taking shots at Elliott for being an “anti-oilers leafs homer.” Dude your team just made it to the finals in almost 2 decades and the first thing you feel compelled to do is talk about some conspiracy about Toronto and Elliotte Friedman out to get you.

I liked the canucks fans much better. Still gotta pull for the oilers but their fans absolutely suck.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Stephen we have anecdotal evidence and videos proving otherwise. And what does it matter anyways? The oilers all gathered together early before the season and had one of the worst starts to a season in franchise history. Then turned it around. It means very little in the grand scheme of things.

The organization pivoting to a culture of accountability would suggest there’s been a lack of in the past. Really says enough about the culture of the team up to this point.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
man hanging out in the main boards made me realize just how obnoxious and terrible some oilers fans are on here. Yea I’m rooting for them but their fans have some extreme little bro complex. I saw a guy taking shots at Elliott for being an “anti-oilers leafs homer.” Dude your team just made it to the finals in almost 2 decades and the first thing you feel compelled to do is talk about some conspiracy about Toronto and Elliotte Friedman out to get you.

I liked the canucks fans much better. Still gotta pull for the oilers but their fans absolutely suck.

I actually find it really funny to see different fanbases on the Leafs board after their team wins a series. Like if one improbable day when the Leafs go to the finals, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be enjoying it reading Team X’s board.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
The organization pivoting to a culture of accountability would suggest there’s been a lack of in the past. Really says enough about the culture of the team up to this point.

What does that have to do with summer training? I have never seen a report of any of our guys out of shape or saying that they weren’t skating during the off-season. NEVER. Anyone suggesting that’s the case is literally delusional. They have their playoff issues for sure but to randomly throw out that they aren’t skating and working out in the summer is a new level of unwarranted hate I just can’t get behind. This is Toronto, if that was the case it would be every where when training camp opens.

Reactions: Kurtz and bax

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I actually find it really funny to see different fanbases on the Leafs board after their team wins a series. Like if one improbable day when the Leafs go to the finals, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to be enjoying it reading Team X’s board.
Nope. Wouldn't even go read the mains, not a chance. Be hanging here with my folks.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
it was funny seeing the Canucks fans in here when most of us seemed to be pulling for them to win over the Oilers liking a bunch of posts. I wouldn’t either especially if the Leafs weren’t playing them or didn’t just eliminate them but the board of some eliminated team in the west that had nothing to do with it and their thoughts would be irrelevant to me.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
What does that have to do with summer training? I have never seen a report of any of our guys out of shape or saying that they weren’t skating during the off-season. NEVER. Anyone suggesting that’s the case is literally delusional. They have their playoff issues for sure but to randomly throw out that they aren’t skating and working out in the summer is a new level of unwarranted hate I just can’t get behind. This is Toronto, if that was the case it would be every where when training camp opens.
I'm not disagreeing, just being funny.

Kyle Wellwood:

wellwood fat.jpeg

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I don't know how some of you could root for Edmonton. The only team I want to bring the cup back to Canada is the Leafs.

I think the Oilers got this though. You have to admire them. Everybody was writing them off after their terrible start. I wish our organization/team showed that much heart.

Dubas should have his name scratched from the historical records of MLSE after how he let go of Hyman. Guy was born and bred to be a Leaf.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Could be a sweep for Florida. Maybe a gentleman's sweep because Edmonton will be energized by the opportunity early.

Western conference was weird this year. Didn't think anyone was as good as their hype - Dallas and Vancouver were solid but lacked that x-factor and bite.

If Toronto had Edmonton's playoff path I'm confident they'd be in the finals right now (and would also get stomped by Florida).

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
All this horseshit talk of us being "fundamentally flawed" and wanting desperately to dump Mitch, are so full of shit.

Team is better than the Oilers and look where they are now. Once you're a good competitive team, it's all random bullshit after that. Defense? Cody f***in' Ceci and Darnell Nurse? Give me a break. Goalie - Stuart Skinner/Pickford? f*** Off. This random shit. Marner is a great player who needs to get his shit together come play off time and you assholes want to dump him for anyone willing to take on the money.

We had 1 year where we actually choked against the god damn Habs, other than that we got beat by teams equal (Columbus) or better than us. Before the Matthews/Marner era we were pure garbage and if Leaf management would act like the posters here - we would be headed right back to those times.

Yes the Oilers dynasty in the 80's and their potential cup this year is a fluke and the fact this joke of a franchise hasn't been to the finals in 57 years is because the hockey gods don't like us. 🤣🤣🤣
These Conference Finals teams would destroy us, the fact you and others in our fanbase don't see that is exactly why we get laughed at. The Gilmour/ Clark and Sundin/ Roberts teams were much closer to a cup then our present group of players. Maybe instead of excusing these overpaid losers try watching the Stanley cup winners of the last two decades. They have something we don't. Protip-playing NHL 2023 on your X-Box isn't a good indicator of success.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009

How are they better than the Oilers? Sure they're "deeper".

That means f*** all when the BEST PLAYERS are worse, every year, every time.

Also the team lacks what a Bouchard did this year. Look at the Oilers powerplay in the playoffs. Catalyst of going to the finals for most teams is execution and having the correct players for the man advantage.

Oilers have everything the Leafs don't. Cool, Leafs have some nice depth, but Zach Hyman has 14 goals and Bouchard has 25+ points in a cup run. Im not revisioning Hyman either, the point about him is that he is so useful because their best players are just better than ours. People love to pretend Hyman is just an extra post for bankshots, but even he takes good shots when he has to.

The guys you pay to be gamebreakers have to actually be gamebreakers. Mcdavid did more in a 10 shot win than any of the best plays here have done in anything.

No point shot = no point even aspiring for the cup finals. Klingberg will not be it either, and management is preparing to gamble on that again this year.

We've spent the entire Matthews era waiting for them to dominate the playoffs, making excuses every year as to why they havent. Mcdavid and Draisatl dropped 30 points with a worse roster while getting swept in a conference finals and that was a bad year for them. now they are in a cup finals and going to drop 30+ AGAIN while having an elite point shot and front net guy. PP will be absolutely deadly and the refs will be jobbing them all finals to slow it down for sure.

There's an excuse every year, management is afraid to pull actual triggers or is completely delusional about Marner/Matthews to the point that they finally recognized it and they have 1 year left to do anything with it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How are they better than the Oilers? Sure they're "deeper".

That means f*** all when the BEST PLAYERS are worse, every year, every time.

Also the team lacks what a Bouchard did this year. Look at the Oilers powerplay in the playoffs. Catalyst of going to the finals for most teams is execution and having the correct players for the man advantage.

Oilers have everything the Leafs don't. Cool, Leafs have some nice depth, but Zach Hyman has 14 goals and Bouchard has 25+ points in a cup run. Im not revisioning Hyman either, the point about him is that he is so useful because their best players are just better than ours. People love to pretend Hyman is just an extra post for bankshots, but even he takes good shots when he has to.

The guys you pay to be gamebreakers have to actually be gamebreakers. Mcdavid did more in a 10 shot win than any of the best plays here have done in anything.

No point shot = no point even aspiring for the cup finals. Klingberg will not be it either, and management is preparing to gamble on that again this year.

We've spent the entire Matthews era waiting for them to dominate the playoffs, making excuses every year as to why they havent. Mcdavid and Draisatl dropped 30 points with a worse roster while getting swept in a conference finals and that was a bad year for them. now they are in a cup finals and going to drop 30+ AGAIN while having an elite point shot and front net guy. PP will be absolutely deadly and the refs will be jobbing them all finals to slow it down for sure.

There's an excuse every year, management is afraid to pull actual triggers or is completely delusional about Marner/Matthews to the point that they finally recognized it and they have 1 year left to do anything with it.

Dubas and Shanahan were so pompous and ignorant (dumb) that they had no idea what was going on. Just like the posters here that repeated their "we can and we will" jargon. Every single year the average fan buys the dopes message and reaffirms their confidence like a mindless horde.

I love all you beauties out there that lost faith in Shanahan when Dubas was hired. Lesson be learned to the rest of you. Don't trust these people that look at you and smile ear to ear and telling you what you want to hear. The snake oil salesman is always slick.

Edmonton was proactive. The Leafs reactive. They strategized and we made knee jerk reactions. We traded our freaking picks for temp help while Dubas and Shanahan tried to figure out that team chemistry cant be bought at the deadline. While they tried to figure out what a good coach is and ignored all the issues with Keefe.

Organizationally. Edmonton Oilers smart. Toronto Maple Leafs Stupid. Nothing more to say other than I hope ex Leafs get themselves a cup.

Reactions: KMNRB and ruaware41

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Imagine looking at a spreadsheet and Power BI and thinking Hyman should be let go.

I honestly cannot believe how many wrong decisions were made in such a short period of time. It seems like it was almost on purpose.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Imagine looking at a spreadsheet and Power BI and thinking Hyman should be let go.

I honestly cannot believe how many wrong decisions were made in such a short period of time. It seems like it was almost on purpose.

I think it was actually gross level incompetence. These were idiots that did not know how to interpret advanced data. They screwed up large. There is a lot of noise in data, crap that gets in the way if the goal. Simply put, if you want to win a cup focus on player data and the eye test of the players that perform in that quest. Just doing that alone you will be looking to sign playoff performers.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Great idea by the NHL to wait almost a week to play hockey again.

I was honestly expecting a Wednesday Game 1 start and then I saw that it's Saturday.

Awesome approach to maintaining casual fan interest.
Maybe they want a few days to give the refs a refresher course on how to extend a series to maximize profits yet discretely screw the Canadian team out of the trophy.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Dubas and Shanahan were so pompous and ignorant (dumb) that they had no idea what was going on. Just like the posters here that repeated their "we can and we will" jargon. Every single year the average fan buys the dopes message and reaffirms their confidence like a mindless horde.

I love all you beauties out there that lost faith in Shanahan when Dubas was hired. Lesson be learned to the rest of you. Don't trust these people that look at you and smile ear to ear and telling you what you want to hear. The snake oil salesman is always slick.

Edmonton was proactive. The Leafs reactive. They strategized and we made knee jerk reactions. We traded our freaking picks for temp help while Dubas and Shanahan tried to figure out that team chemistry cant be bought at the deadline. While they tried to figure out what a good coach is and ignored all the issues with Keefe.

Organizationally. Edmonton Oilers smart. Toronto Maple Leafs Stupid. Nothing more to say other than I hope ex Leafs get themselves a cup.

Eh the Oilers aren’t that smart organizationally, or anything special.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
But they did make it to the cup. Results matter

Lol king of revisionist history. The run the oilers are on is impressive as hell. But let’s not act like they are the crown jewel of management. The were so bad to start the year and do we forget how everyone was criticizing them?! Good on them for figuring it out! But they were almost mathematically eliminated early on haha, but they went on a historic run and win streak. Their star players have performed like star players and that’s the difference. There’s a reason Ken Holland is still getting canned regardless of the result this year

I think it was actually gross level incompetence. These were idiots that did not know how to interpret advanced data. They screwed up large. There is a lot of noise in data, crap that gets in the way if the goal. Simply put, if you want to win a cup focus on player data and the eye test of the players that perform in that quest. Just doing that alone you will be looking to sign playoff performers.

The decision to let Hyman go had nothing to do with advanced stats. It was contractual, he wanted full NMC and more term than the organization was comfortable giving. Still stupid as hell considering you’d want to retain a guy who wants to commit to you for 8 years. But hey that is a big miss by Dubas and Shanahan

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
But they did make it to the cup. Results matter
results are also a product of some shit luck

Edmonton a smart organization?
Jack Campbell?
Darnell Nurse contract?
Yakupov first overall pick
Puljujarvi 4th overall pick
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson

3 first overall picks in a row
4 out 6 years drafting 1st
8 years in a row of getting a top 10 pick (2009-2016)
gifted Wayne Gretzky all those years ago

Edmonton has been lucky more than smart yet you and your ilk think you're saying something really profound with the "results matter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad