Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Leafs Bruins and Panthers steamroll the league in hits from February and onwards and all have high skilled guys up front (Bruins on the verge of death though because marchand is too old).

These will be the 3 most feared teams to meet in the playoffs (I am assume we will build on some flaws in off seasson) but unfortunately NHL sucks and these 3 will have to kill each other first before facing anyone else
Can easily see the Bruins / Panthers series going 7 games if Bruins didn't get crunched so much by us in round 1.

Pastrnak hit a career high in number of winces per game.

• Haha
Reactions: Mogo

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs Bruins and Panthers steamroll the league in hits from February and onwards and all have high skilled guys up front (Bruins on the verge of death though because marchand is too old).

These will be the 3 most feared teams to meet in the playoffs (I am assume we will build on some flaws in off seasson) but unfortunately NHL sucks and these 3 will have to kill each other first before facing anyone else
The Bruins know they’re flawed and will likely trade Ullmark to add scoring and speed. I heard they’re interested in Pesce and Necas, but they’ll need a little more jam upfront. If they add Pesce they could move one of their D as well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
^^ Before people jump on me I meant Panarin specifically. Rangers have a good combo of grit and skill.

He wouldn't have had a blast like rounds 1 and 2 if he faced our style this year, especially games 5-7. We punished the boards and crease in the d-zone. He would have been forced to dig deep and find a new gear if he wanted to go point per game (or hope we took dumb penalties and shred up our 5% PK lol)

Leafs Bruins and Panthers will continue this trend into next season I imagine, especially with Tre as our GM.
We would not have put up more than 1 or 2 on Shesterkin. Shesterkin vs Sammy is like a knife vs a gun.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The Bruins know they’re flawed and will likely trade Ullmark to add scoring and speed. I heard they’re interested in Pesce and Necas, but they’ll need a little more jam upfront. If they add Pesce they could move one of their D as well.
Boston now has some money to play with, so I expect they will improve this off-season.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Watching Florida and Edmonton having success in these playoffs is like living in a nightmare.
Not even close for me

The year montreal went to the finals was it for me. NHL paved an easy way for us to go the finals. Yet here we are

I don't mind Florida. They are good for the game. They'll force other teams to toughen up, bring back some old school hockey

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Since 2004 the Leafs have won one round, the teams from the state of Florida have made it to the final 7 times.
They have won a grand total of one playoff game beyond the 1st round of the playoffs in the entire salary cap era combined. Not one series, one game. Abysmal.

Also, thinking about this at length, the Rangers have won one Stanley Cup since Hitler. So the two most valuable hockey teams in the world have seen some shit. At least the Rangers won during my lifetime and have had some recent playoff success though.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Coaching was bad, but those guys have different priorities. Marner is the logical one to move, but I would take a long hard look at Matthews. It wouldn’t surprise me that he’s the source of the problems with the team.

The Panthers need a Cup to keep pace with their in state rival.
Zito built a team to beat Tampa. At the same time we gave the keys to Dubas who thought he was still trying to win a Memorial Cup.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Many said to move on after the Habs series. All I can't think is how does the coach allow his to keep playing the same way and making the same dumb turnovers? No way Berube allows him to do that shit.

here mitch marner highlights in playoffs:

- against CBJ dude was a complete JOKE
- against Habs (puck over the glass gives 5 on 3 to habs; then Game 7 game is tied and turnsover the puck at the offensive blue line for habs to attack and score)
- against bolts once again a complete joke. Game 6 OT makes a hailmary pass that gets intercepted and bolts score with transition both Marner and Holl being complete jackasses. Game 7 against the bolts was a complete ghost.
- against bolts again matthews-marner can't do F-all together, Keefe finally decides to seprate them Matthews wins the series IMO although JT scored the series winner
- then in second round for some f***ing reason keefe puts matthews-marner back together and matthews is once again neutered because marner is trash. Marner plays mickymouse fancy bullshit pass in the d-zone, matthews turnsover the puck BOOM florida sccores and gains momentum
- against the bruins marner didn't do F-all. Game 7 marner was a complete JOKE. Matthews and Nylander get going and give Leafs a 1-0 lead. Keefe galaxy brains and Burins tie it right back up. In OT everyone knows how Marner let Pasta get an easy entry

And here is marner game logs for 7 games against Bruins 1 shot on goal in a f***ing game 7. f***ING JOKE!
1717342948462.png

I mean enough is enough already! Marner has been a net negative in the playoffs. And then when you factor in his cap hit he has been an absolute DISASTER!

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

This year was supposed to be an off year for Boston. Not only did they lose Bergeron and Krejci, but also had cap overages from their prior deals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Panarins and Marner types dont have a good track record in the NHL playoffs. Regular season sure, but they wilt in the playoffs. Patrick Kane is the exception. Kucherov has always been gritty/plays with an edge.

In Panarin's defense .. The NYR played 16 playoff games while he provided 5 goals and 15 points .. However more important being that in NYR 10 playoff wins Panarin recorded the game winner in 4 of them. He leads the 2023-24 playoffs in this category, so its hard to label him the same as Marner as 4 GWG is enough to win a series all by himself mathematically speaking.

1717333454024.png

1717335027827.png

If Marner had the game winning goal in 4 of Leafs wins in a season he would be viewed differently as he only has 1 GWG in is last 5 playoff seasons since signing his big $10.9 mil contract.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In Panarin's defense .. The NYR played 16 playoff games while he provided 5 goals and 15 points .. However more important being that in NYR 10 playoff wins Panarin recorded the game winner in 4 of them. He leads the 2023-24 playoffs in this category, so its hard to label him the same as Marner as 4 GWG is enough to win a series all by himself mathematically speaking.

View attachment 878710

View attachment 878714

If Marner had the game winning goal in 4 of Leafs wins in a season he would be viewed differently as he only has 1 GWG in is last 5 playoff seasons since signing his big $10.9 mil contract.
Panarin > Marner in playoffs but both are playoff underperformers. Panarin pulling the shoot to avoid contact and throwing the puck away like it was a hand grenade early in the game was telling.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Panarin > Marner in playoffs but both are playoff underperformers. Panarin pulling the shoot to avoid contact and throwing the puck away like it was a hand grenade early in the game was telling.
If you read the Rangers board they are as exasperated with Panarin as we are with Mitch.

The one glaring difference is contract status. Ain't no way Panarin is waiving his NMC.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

It's also dumb for two Florida teams to be in a division with north teams lol

Group then with Carolina and Washington or whatever. Panthers probably would have had to to relocate if they weren't in with Toronto, Montreal, etc. for attendance.

Shit I was even a season seat holder 10 years ago.(It was cheap as f*** )
I want my name on the cup if they win lol

Last edited:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Marner vs Panarin over the last 3 playoff runs (and ranking among all players with 20+ playoff games over this stretch):

Marner:
Points per game: 12th among forwards (82 point season pace)
+/-: +11 ( +36 season pace)

Panarin:
Points per game: 31st among forwards (63 point season pace)
+/-: -9 ( -18 season pace)

One had Campbell/Samsonov in net and one had Shesterkin (arguably the most consistantly good goalkeeperin the playoffs) . Thats pretty much the only reason anyone would mix up these two this badly.

Must be really nice to have a goalie keep you in close games so you can get game winners too.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Group then with Carolina and Washington or whatever. Panthers probably would have had to to relocate if they weren't in with Toronto, Montreal, etc. for attendance.

I want my name on the cup of they win lol
Gary is no dummy when it comes to making money for the league.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Coaching was bad, but those guys have different priorities. Marner is the logical one to move, but I would take a long hard look at Matthews. It wouldn’t surprise me that he’s the source of the problems with the team.

I really don't think Matthews has been a problem in the playoffs. Matthews always brings it. He plays body, back checks and does everything thats asked of him IMO (except score unfortunately).

To look at Matthews one has to see him with and without Marner. Him without Marner he has been more impactful with Marner he has been shit. Marner's stats drop quite a bit if not playing with matthews. If thats the case then Marner is NOT WORTH 11 AAV; forget about what his ask is going to be on his new contract. F-that. Leafs should be nowhere near it.

Here are some stats: *natural stattrick is now asking for money to aggregate more of the results for multiple years LOL

1717343885065.png

Matthews Game log (this year)
1717344273639.png

And just for fun Nylander gamelog
1717344349650.png

I am yet to see Marner and his 11 AAV improving the game of his linemates and making them more productive when not carried by Matthews or Tavares (at his prime).

Boston put Pasta and Marchand on separate lines
Florida has Tkachuk and Barkov play on sperate lines
Oilers have McJesus and Drai play on separate lines making their line-mates productive. Heck McJesus made Hyman a frekain' 50 goal scorer

There is absolutely NO WAY Marner is worth 11 AAV. He is not Patty Kane or Kucherov. And Marner shouldn't be a Leaf anymore.

Matthews on the other hand does raise his game in the playoffs IMO

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner vs Panarin over the last 3 playoff runs (and ranking among all players with 20+ playoff games over this stretch):

Marner:
Points per game: 12th among forwards (82 point season pace)
+/-: +11 ( +36 season pace)

Panarin:
Points per game: 31st among forwards (63 point season pace)
+/-: -9 ( -18 season pace)

One had Campbell/Samsonov in net and one had Shesterkin (arguably the most consistantly good goalkeeperin the playoffs) . Thats pretty much the only reason anyone would mix up these two this badly.

Must be really nice to have a goalie keep you in close games so you can get game winners too.
100%. Mitch scores at a 16g pace while Panarin scores at 24 goal pace. For their cap hits, they both suck in the playoff but if I had to chose one for one playoff run, it would be Panarin. Panarin is 5 years older.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021

I want my name on the cup of they win lol

Did you ever go to Leafs games in Sunrise from 2005 to like 2010? If so, you were probably in the same arena as me at least once.

Every time I went back in the day it was a sea of blue. There are a lot of Canadians down there, especially from Quebec. It is also a literal flood of folks from the State of NY, and that is where I was born and raised.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Did you ever go to Leafs games in Sunrise from 2005 to like 2010? If so, you were probably in the same arena as me at least once.

Every time I went back in the day it was a sea of blue. There are a lot of Canadians down there, especially from Quebec. It is also a literal flood of folks from the State of NY, and that is where I was born and raised.
It was 2013/2014 season that I went to games. But ya all leafs lol got my introduction to Primanti bros in fort Lauderdale!

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad