Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Regardless of who, I am interested to see the penalty. I mean, friggin kid got 41 game suspension for "someone" using his account to bet on hockey. Based on that, these guys should probably never be allowed to play in the league again.

Good on the victim to stand up, and good on the investigation team to follow through.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Interesting. Is that known to be a good hockey market? The metro population is only 1,257,936. Smaller than all Canadian markets other than Winnipeg I think. What is the corporate footprint like there?

If they are looking to add 1 more, they are looking to add 2 more. The teams are getting pretty thin as it is...

I'll just say I'm glad we don't have any guys that were on that team. We used to have Mete but of course he wasn't even in the country at that time.
Wasn't Conor Timmins on that team? I could be making that up lol

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

oh crap you're right. Well hopefully there's more clarity on whose involved soon as it seems unfair that everyone on that team is in limbo right now*

*not to minimize how unfair this has all been for the woman involved, which far exceeds any of that

FWIW looks like Timmins is in the lineup for tonight

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
14 straight wins is always impressive, but I think it’s fair to point out that the quality of Edmonton’s opponents over that 14 game stretch has been largely pretty weak.

They’ve only played maybe 4 playoff teams in that stretch, only 2 that were actually playing well at the time they met.

You can only beat the team places in front of you, but I think it’s a reasonable call out.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Interesting. Is that known to be a good hockey market? The metro population is only 1,257,936. Smaller than all Canadian markets other than Winnipeg I think. What is the corporate footprint like there?

If they are looking to add 1 more, they are looking to add 2 more. The teams are getting pretty thin as it is...

He was, and if my memory serves me correctly he was one of only a handful of guys on the team who gave a "no comment" type of response rather than outright denying it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
14 straight wins is always impressive, but I think it’s fair to point out that the quality of Edmonton’s opponents over that 14 game stretch has been largely pretty weak.

They’ve only played maybe 4 playoff teams in that stretch, only 2 that were actually playing well at the time they met.

You can only beat the team places in front of you, but I think it’s a reasonable call out.
This seems like a lame way to downplay what the Oilers have done over that stretch.

We've seen the team we root for lose to really weak teams. Heck, the Rangers last night blew a lead against the garbage Sharks and lost.

Regardless of who they've played and whether they were playing well or not, 14 straight wins is still 14 straight wins and 28 points banked.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He was, and if my memory serves me correctly he was one of only a handful of guys on the team who gave a "no comment" type of response rather than outright denying it.

No chance the Leafs would play him if he was being arrested and he's in the lineup for tonight.

Reactions: wingman75

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
This seems like a lame way to downplay what the Oilers have done over that stretch.

We've seen the team we root for lose to really weak teams. Heck, the Rangers last night blew a lead against the garbage Sharks and lost.

Regardless of who they've played and whether they were playing well or not, 14 straight wins is still 14 straight wins and 28 points banked.
It would also be one thing if they won 14 games because McDavid had 50 points during that stretch, but that hasn't been the case. Probably just as simple as a really smart coaching change at the right time.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Regardless of who, I am interested to see the penalty. I mean, friggin kid got 41 game suspension for "someone" using his account to bet on hockey. Based on that, these guys should probably never be allowed to play in the league again.

Good on the victim to stand up, and good on the investigation team to follow through.
If I were to guess on punishment from the league I would say little to none. Instead they'll pass the buck onto the team's.

This allows the NHL to wash their hands of it to some extent while also ensuring the team's aren't hurt. As in, fringe NHLers will have their contract terminated and never get another contract again, while a top end guys, if there are any, will issue a carefully crafted statement, jump through a couple PR hoops (substance abuse program, donate to charity, etc) and then all will be forgiven.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It would also be one thing if they won 14 games because McDavid had 50 points during that stretch, but that hasn't been the case. Probably just as simple as a really smart coaching change at the right time.
I know I'm not the only Leaf fan looking at the Oilers situation and thinking how a coaching change could do wonders and why it isn't happened here yet.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

It’s not really downplaying if it’s true. It’s just valid context to their streak that I think is interesting for people to be aware of. And you must have missed the part where I said 14 is always impressive and also mentioned they can only beat the opponent placed in front of them. I’m just not ready to annoint them yet until I see them beat more high quality teams which to me is far from unreasonable or downplaying.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I know I'm not the only Leaf fan looking at the Oilers situation and thinking how a coaching change could do wonders and why it isn't happened here yet.
Edmonton was actually quite good prior to the coaching change too. They were just struggling to convert, getting horrific goaltending, and McDavid was off, then injured, and then probably came back too soon to play in the outdoor game.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I suppose this is the least surprising of the bunch. Interesting how this guy was completely cast aside by NHL teams while the others are all still in the NHL.

Edmonton was actually quite good prior to the coaching change too. They were just getting horrific goaltending, and McDavid was off, then injured, and then probably came back too soon to play in the outdoor game.
Agreed. Goaltending was always their major issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad