Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Demko's 5th. shutout well earned.

Shots don't show the discrepency in play in the third period.

Demko was the difference.
Too bad the Leafs didn't have this year's Mrazek. Watched him a few times this year and he's been good.
Writing off a goalie, or elevating a goalie seems like Fools Gold these days.

Outside of maybe the top 5, goalies are like relief pitchers.

One year outstanding. Next year horrible
No rhyme or reason

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
In fairness... Minten isn't in the NHL contributing 0.5PPG... but no, I wouldn't give up Minten, for a 3rd line production guy, who is getting 1st line minutes with elite players, and still can't produce.

With max retention, we **might** get a late 2nd fo him... unless he really heats up.

I would be very hesitant to give up any of our better prospects, and keep in mind, I'm not even a big supporter of Minten. The only reason I'd consider it, is if we obtained a Sub 30 D, who has a proven track record of being someone who could be a capable top pairing D, and complimentary to Mo, who has years of control.

It would be fine to give up a potential 3rd. line center for a Top 4 controlled defender. Even a potential 2nd. line center, when the timeframe the Leafs are looking at is within 5 years.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Boston could be ever better next season. Could deal Ullmark for whatever, and then potentially bring in a Lindholm/Stamkos.

I am almost certain Bruins are going to be better next season. Assuming no goalie injuries; they will win the division and/or conference at least next season

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Writing off a goalie, or elevating a goalie seems like Fools Gold these days.

Outside of maybe the top 5, goalies are like relief pitchers.

One year outstanding. Next year horrible
No rhyme or reason
There's less voodoo when you account for the team. (still some)

Saros dips when Ekholm leaves
Skinner improves when Ekholm comes
Vasi dips when McD leaves
Talbot is better in LA than on the Sens
Everyone is good on Boston
Ditto Islanders

Try to find a goalie for today's game: big, calm, good positioning, eats rebounds, stays healthy, manages workload, then focus on the defense until the stats are right. Woll might work, not sure about Sammy.

Edit- Demko was in bad shape last year, as was the org. I had him in fantasy as I expected him to move to the top but of course didn't take him this year because that's how fantasy works.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Ditto Islanders

Try to find a goalie for today's game: big, calm, good positioning, eats rebounds, stays healthy, manages workload, then focus on the defense until the stats are right. Woll might work, not sure about Sammy.

Edit- Demko was in bad shape last year, as was the org. I had him in fantasy as I expected him to move to the top but of course didn't take him this year because that's how fantasy works.

Demko was injured last year, wonder if he was playing injured for the first 2 months and it went completely bad on December 1, and then they shut him down for almost 3 months?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Ditto Islanders

111th overall pick - Swayman

Great scouting or sh*tload of luck? Again I wish we picked more.

I agree that solid D makes their goalies look even better. Own the area around the net, let them shoot from outside, everyone and their save% happy.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
111th overall pick - Swayman

Great scouting or sh*tload of luck? Again I wish we picked more.

I agree that solid D makes their goalies look even better. Own the area around the net, let them shoot from outside, everyone and their save% happy.
I played goalie when I was young and ALWAYS knew which defenders were coming over the boards and who was on the ice at ALL times, and my nerves adjusted accordingly. Half the game was panic attacks.

Can only imagine Saros reaction when he was told Ekholm would now be Barrie for almost half the game.

Reactions: Arzak

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I played goalie when I was young and ALWAYS knew which defenders were coming over the boards and who was on the ice at ALL times, and my nerves adjusted accordingly. Half the game was panic attacks.

Can only imagine Saros reaction when he was told Ekholm would now be Barrie for almost half the game.

I can only imagine ! It's baffling how many Leafs evaluate our goalies in vacuum..

Look at Mrazek, he's good again? Well maybe he's playing behind better D. Or worse D, but more compatible with his style etc. A lot of times there is a reason why your goalie is out of place not making the save he should..

Reactions: LeafEgo

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
What's the over/under for the Edmonton/Chicago game tonight? Chicago played last night and lost in Vancouver.

Now they travel to Edmonton for a well rested team who has won 13 in a row.

Soon to be 14.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Ditto Islanders

I agree with you in theory, but skinner has also played quite poorly for good stretches of time Ekholm has been an Oiler

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

Ditto Islanders
Except these aren't really true...
-Saros had his best season last year, and was better after Ekholm left. Nashville was also garbage defensively last year, and have been better this year.
-Skinner has been a below average goalie this year, and was better last year.
-Vasilevsky was still elite last year after McDonagh left.
-Talbot was a below average goalie for 6 years on 5 different teams, including good defensive teams like Minnesota. His best performance of those was actually his time in Ottawa. His play this year seems more fluke than team-related.
-Two goalies specifically have been good on Boston for the last year and a half. There were poor and average performances prior.
-Everyone has not been good on the Islanders. Sorokin had a couple good years before this year.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
-Saros had his best season last year, and was better after Ekholm left. Nashville was also garbage defensively last year, and have been better this year.
-Talbot was a below average goalie for 6 years on 5 different teams, including good defensive teams like Minnesota. His best performance of those was actually his time in Ottawa. His play this year seems more fluke than team-related.
-Two goalies specifically have been good on Boston for the last year and a half. There were poor and average performances prior.
-Everyone has not been good on the Islanders. Sorokin had a couple good years before this year.

ROFL you are correcting someone with this ^^ ?

Tim Thomas ? Vezina winner 2009 and 2011, Conn Smythe ?
Tukka Rask ? Vezina winner 2014, Vezina finalist 2020

Yeah poor and average performances before Vezina Ulmark and now Swayman... :DD

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
ROFL you are correcting someone with this ^^ ?

Tim Thomas ? Vezina winner 2009 and 2011, Conn Smyth ?
Tukka Rask ? Vezina winner 2014, Vezina finalist 2020

Yeah poor and average performances before Vezina Ulmark and now Swayman...
What in the world does 15 years ago have to do with anything?
In 2021-2022, Ullmark and Swayman were pretty average, and Rask was horrific.
In 2020-2021, Rask was average, and Halak and Vladar were bad.
In 2018-2019, Rask was below average.
In 2016-2017, literally every one of their goalies was below average.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Pretty boring night no Leafs no football no Raptors so I went wide with proline

Dallas vs Detroit
Tampa vs Philadelphia (no Hart)
Washington vs Minnesota
Columbus vs Edmonton
New York R
vs San Jose

All 5 would be nice. Have another slip with just the last 3. I'm curious if Minnesota is back to being legit with a healthy Kaprizov. Washington will be a good test I could have gone either way.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Good defenseman have a positive impact on goaltenders because they limit high danger shots (the real kind).

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
What in the world does 15 years ago have to do with anything?
In 2021-2022, Ullmark and Swayman were pretty average, and Rask was horrific.
In 2020-2021, Rask was average, and Halak and Vladar were bad.
In 2018-2019, Rask was below average.
In 2016-2017, literally every one of their goalies was below average.

Sure, if below average or bad means 10th in the league :DD

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
This isn't going to be good.....
It’s look bad like really bad with the TC thing.
Wonder what the punishment will be and how NHL and teams will react to that. Are they going to suspend the players for a year for a misconduct that happened when they were 18-19?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Most likely but big picture, I bet we would be better off with Poitras.

What is yet to be seen from Bert is whether he can ramp it up in the playoffs. If he does, great but he most likely walks for nothing.
To be fair Bert was one of the Bruins better players in their playoffs last year, his first time to the show. Hopefully we get that Bert come playoff time....

1706057244110.png

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad