Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wouldn't worry much about Detroit. I imagine Tampa would be the real threat if the Leafs continue to lose the games in hand they have on the Lightning.
The only teams I am worried about are Florida and Boston, if and when we play them in April. If they can't hold off Tampa and/or Detroit, might be for the best we do not make the playoffs. Maybe missing the playoffs will humble the 3 amigos and they will realize they are greedy frauds, but I doubt it.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The only teams I am worried about are Florida and Boston, if and when we play them in April. If they can't hold off Tampa and/or Detroit, might be for the best we do not make the playoffs. Maybe missing the playoffs will humble the 3 amigos and they will realize they are greedy frauds, but I doubt it.
I think Boston would be an easier opponent for the Leafs than Florida, but neither team would scare me much. I would probably be more concerned playing one of the Metro teams.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
These guys have lost to Wash, Boston x2, CBJ, Montreal, Tampa and Florida. We should fear any opponent.
I get it, but if I had to choose a playoff opponent, I would rather play an Atlantic team than a Metro team. I don't think the Leafs would match up too well against the Rangers...

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I get it, but if I had to choose a playoff opponent, I would rather play an Atlantic team than a Metro team. I don't think the Leafs would match up too well against the Rangers...

How about this team gets to the playoffs first, before declaring them division winner, or whom you'd rather play. Next five games are Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, Winnipeg, Winnipeg. This team has ONE win in the last month, against teams outside the bottom five in the league. Vancouver and Winnipeg have clearly been better than us this year, Calgary is on a streak of 7-3 and Seattle 8-2, Jets 9-1, Vancouver 7-2-1 in their last ten. Every one of these teams is on a roll. It's isn't impossible that we get three points total, in the next five games at the rate we are playing, which likely puts us 9th in the conference, and out of the playoffs.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
How about this team gets to the playoffs first, before declaring them division winner, or whom you'd rather play. Next five games are Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, Winnipeg, Winnipeg. This team has ONE win in the last month, against teams outside the bottom five in the league. Vancouver and Winnipeg have clearly been better than us this year, Calgary is on a streak of 7-3 and Seattle 8-2, Jets 9-1, Vancouver 7-2-1 in their last ten. Every one of these teams is on a roll. It's isn't impossible that we get three points total, in the next five games at the rate we are playing, which likely puts us 9th in the conference, and out of the playoffs.
Of course it's possible, and if that happens we'll likely see a coaching change.

Reactions: BallardEra

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I am clinging to the hope that struggling through the regular season in some way helps them play better hockey come April.

Too often they have coasted in with almost zero chance of missing.

Perhaps after a terrible trip, as @ToneDog said, they realise you have to earn everything in this league. No one will be rolling over for them

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I am clinging to the hope that struggling through the regular season in some way helps them play better hockey come April.

Perhaps after a terrible trip, as @ToneDog said, they realise you have to earn everything in this league. No one will be rolling over for them
My apologies, but if that isn't a lesson this group has learned after... what eight years together now, with repeated playoff failures, I don't think they are going to learn as a group, not as currently constructed.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Wishful thinking, they should know all of that by now.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
My apologies, but if that isn't a lesson this group has learned after... what eight years together now, with repeated playoff failures, I don't think they are going to learn as a group, not as currently constructed.

It's almost as if we've been starving for so long as a franchise for young star talent, that we've really looked past this core's deficiencies and not wanting to admit they play a certain style that doesn't really translate when the games go up in intensity. For awhile now if you even mentioned the word "soft" or that there was a culture problem around this team, you'd be instantly told you're some sort of a dinosaur or that those things really don't actually matter.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I agree. I have to leave myself a shred of hope though. Sometimes delusion can be wonderful

Reactions: ACC1224

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This. I'm honestly shocked there are still fans of this team that have watched these dudes for nearly a decade and think at some point something will click in their heads and they'll flick the switch. Nylander got what he wanted and has ghosted since. These guys only care about themselves. Shanny has made a country club where they are the stars and they can do as they please with no consequences.

But yeah they'll def flip that switch at some point... Gotta be one of the biggest groups of losers ever assembled.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's almost as if we've been starving for so long as a franchise for young star talent, that we've really looked past this core's deficiencies and not wanting to admit they play a certain style that doesn't really translate when the games go up in intensity. For awhile now if you even mentioned the word "soft" or that there was a culture problem around this team, you'd be instantly told you're some sort of a dinosaur or that those things really don't actually matter.
In defense, many young players and teams took time to learn how to ultimately win. Look how long it took guys like Yzerman, Ovechkin.... There is some patience required, and you do hope that they ultimately learn. When you have the type of star talent we've had, you probably give them extra rope. But, there also comes a time when you decide that just isn't happening. Yes, they have always been too soft, though I think Matthews, and Nylander have become less so... not quite enough though.. yet.

The culture is on full display, when you have guys like Marner talking about how they've played hard etc last night, or Keefe playing down the loss.... it's a results business... just win.

Just my opinion, but I think the timing to give up on the core four years ago, three... was too soon... I no longer think that way, and others will have different opinions.... I actually thought after last playoff loss, it was time. That's been even more consolidated now, with their play this year.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The only thing this core has not experienced is missing the playoffs. If that does not wake them up, nothing will. As you say, it is the last shred of hope.

I honestly don't even think that would change much.

I'm at the point where I think it needs to be new coach with entirely different view of how to play and 1 major core piece (not talking JT) needs to be moved.

Something so drastic that it's a huge shock to the program.

Reactions: ToneDog and Peasy

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I honestly don't even think that would change much.

I'm at the point where I think it needs to be new coach with entirely different view of how to play and 1 major core piece (not talking JT) needs to be moved.

Something so drastic that it's a huge shock to the program.
Need to make them uncomfortable. They've been pampered and catered to for way to long at this point.

Got orgs like Colorado that stood firm on their contract offers to their UFA captain AFTER they won a cup. While we're giving out 11.5m aav to a winger that hasnt won a single individual award, and 1 playoff series win.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I agree. I have to leave myself a shred of hope though. Sometimes delusion can be wonderful
There is always hope though... we just have to hope for new management, to retool this. There are still some fantastic talents here, and a decent supporting cast. But it needs new direction, new culture, some changed parts... That might take a down year or two... but look at Tampa for example...

Bad year in 16/17 missing the playoffs for Tampa, traded emerging star forward Drouin for Sergachev, started to bring in more physical bottom six, Changed their D from Hedman, Stralman, Garrison, Sustr, Dotchin/Nesterov to Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, Shattenkirk, Coburn/Bogosian/Schenn in two years. In two years, they replaced all but one of their D squad and win the cup.

Look at St. Louis... move on from their core C in Statsny, add RoR, Perron, Bozak and went from missing the playoffs, to winning the cup.

Look at how aggressively Vegas has remade their team... it can be done, but not with this group, management or all of the players... we just need the right Management team, to make the right changes to the players.

Reactions: weems and Jojalu

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It doesn’t cost anything to believe so go right ahead.

As I’ve said though (with this team), do something once, it could be an anomaly.
Twice, could be a coincidence.
Repeatedly, it’s the norm.

What you see is what you get.

Reactions: Jojalu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad