Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He said he wasn't going to sign a long term contract.

IIRC Treliving more or less let him chase his best deal ... I think the Blues were part of the discussion prior to Florida being the destination.
Yup, he had 1 year before UFA, with a large QO, and the threat to sign it and just sign elsewhere as a UFA, no?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Going to have to play better in the second half.

Pit is only 2 points back now. Yikes
The teams in the Metro don't matter. I know that people want to be down on the Leafs right now, but the reality is that neither Tampa nor Detroit are going to catch Toronto, so a wild card spot won't come into play.

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
The teams in the Metro don't matter. I know that people want to be down on the Leafs right now, but the reality is that neither Tampa nor Detroit are going to catch Toronto, so a wild card spot won't come into play.
I hope you are correct.

I am not really down on the Leafs. They will have to have a strong second half with the toughest schedule left though.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I hope you are correct.

I am not really down on the Leafs. They will have to have a strong second half with the toughest schedule left though.
I don't put too much into the "strength of schedule" stuff. Historically, the Leafs tend to beat teams like Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary, even when those teams are some of the best in the league. With their backs against the proverbial wall, I expect that the Leafs will win most of the games on this trip.

Reactions: Jojalu

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s good to see TTOE rack up enough points to finish just outside of the playoffs.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
But that isn't what is driving Vancouver. What is driving them is a near historical, and completely unsustainable, PDO. It won't last.
The problem with you saying this is that TB and Fla both have low PDO and that would indicate they are due to rise.

Canucks PDO is largely due to how well Demko is playing, especially on High Danger Shots.

But even last year they could score. They overhauled their D and look pretty good.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The problem with you saying this is that TB and Fla both have low PDO and that would indicate they are due to rise.

Canucks PDO is largely due to how well Demko is playing, especially on High Danger Shots.

But even last year they could score. They overhauled their D and look pretty good.
It's possible that Tampa and Florida will rise, but the issue with Vancouver is how out of whack their PDO is. It's near 1980's Edmonton oilers level.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It's possible that Tampa and Florida will rise, but the issue with Vancouver is how out of whack their PDO is. It's near 1980's Edmonton oilers level.
Based on the underlying metrics, the most likely outcome would be Florida rising (they are underperforming in offensive conversion), Vancouver dropping (they are overperforming in offensive conversion), and Tampa stays about the same (they've just regressed as a team and Vasilevsky isn't performing like the god-tier goalie he was).

Speaking of which, as kind of a side note, it's much too early to write Vasilevsky off, but it really goes to show how much fluctuation exists in the goaltending position, when even a dynasty-carrying goalie of a generation has seasons like this. Really demonstrates the risks of paying goalies big amounts.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Based on the underlying metrics, the most likely outcome would be Florida rising (they are underperforming in offensive conversion), Vancouver dropping (they are overperforming in offensive conversion), and Tampa stays about the same (they've just regressed as a team and Vasilevsky isn't performing like the god-tier goalie he was).

Speaking of which, as kind of a side note, it's much too early to write Vasilevsky off, but it really goes to show how much fluctuation exists in the goaltending position, when even a dynasty-carrying goalie of a generation has seasons like this. Really demonstrates the risks of paying goalies big amounts.
Some team needs to start a trend of paying their star goalie big dollars but over a short number of years. The problem with every bad goalie contract isn't the amount, it's the term.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Would be a damn shame if Ovi just fell off a cliff like that to fall short of the record ..simply because of how consistent he's been in his career, he still can beat it with a gradual decline over the next few years.

I'd like to see him beat it because it was perceived as unbreakable and in this day in age, it would be an incredible thing to witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad