Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Florida's schedule looks pretty soft going forward as well.
Honestly, I dont even know if it matters all that much if we place second or win the division. As long as we don’t drop outta top 3. We are stuck playing Florida or Boston anyways and they both have our number in the playoffs. We’re the under dogs regardless so maybe being the underdogs will light a fire. Or we got crushed like normal.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, I'm pretty sure they are going to gain two points on the Bruins tonight, so I guess you can re-run the numbers after that.
A tied game against the Islanders going into the third period is basically two points.
Turns out a tied game against the Islanders going into the third period is basically one point, not two, and we gained zero points on the Bruins tonight, not two.
Shows that not everything is going to go the way you want or expect it to, and gaining ground later in the season is hard.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I feel like Florida will pass Boston and it’s going to be us and Boston in the 1st round.
Same, which I’m alright with. Boston are very beatable. As it stands, I’m not expecting a different result in the playoffs should we face the panthers.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even after the Cali trip the Leafs are 8th in the NHL in Pts%. The four teams directly behind them are LA, VGK, Canes, and Edmonton, the four above them are Dallas, NYR, Avs, Florida.
Interesting.

The‘ll likely end up playing Boston, which is probably a good thing.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I honestly didn't expect the Senators to be this bad this season. Every year since they got Stutzle and Tkachuk you keep expecting them to do damage and claim a playoff spot but they just don't have the horses. They're 14-23-0 right now and have eliminated themselves from the playoffs not even halfway through their season. They'd have to go on a 20 game win streak or something crazy like that to get into a spot.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Even after the Cali trip the Leafs are 8th in the NHL in Pts%. The four teams directly behind them are LA, VGK, Canes, and Edmonton, the four above them are Dallas, NYR, Avs, Florida.
Interesting.

The‘ll likely end up playing Boston, which is probably a good thing.
Reward for beating the Bruins would most likely be Florida in 2nd round. Need to win the division for best chance to get to ECF. Losing in round 1 would be a disaster for Shanny.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I honestly didn't expect the Senators to be this bad this season. Every year since they got Stutzle and Tkachuk you keep expecting them to do damage and claim a playoff spot but they just don't have the horses. They're 14-23-0 right now and have eliminated themselves from the playoffs not even halfway through their season. They'd have to go on a 20 game win streak or something crazy like that to get into a spot.

A team that has nice individual pieces but have not meshed, bad coaching doesn’t help.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Reward for beating the Bruins would most likely be Florida in 2nd round. Need to win the division for best chance to get to ECF. Losing in round 1 would be a disaster for Shanny.tOn paper, Boston might be the best 1st round opponent and They’d get Florida either way in round 2.
On paper, Boston might be the best first round opponent for the Leafs and they’d likely get Florida in round two anyway.

They way they’ve played lately, winning a round would have to be considered a success this season.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
On paper, Boston might be the best first round opponent for the Leafs and they’d likely get Florida in round two anyway.

They way they’ve played lately, winning a round would have to be considered a success this season.
If they beat Boston in round #1, it might be cause for another banner and promotions for all Leafs staff.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they beat Boston in round #1, it might be cause for another banner and promotions for all Leafs staff.
Boston is one team they could be favored to beat and it would be a step in the right direction.

From what I’ve seen of the Broons this season they still rely on goaltending, which suits the Leafs better than playing a speed team.

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Right, and if the Leafs win the two games they have in hand on Boston, they are looking at a 3 point deficit, meaning that over a 40 game stretch the Leafs have to play just slightly higher than that .600-.650 pace. I'm not sure I see the mountain that others seem to see. I suppose you can factor in home and road splits in the second half, as the Bruins will have more home games than road games, whereas the Leafs will have a pretty even split.
Of course they didn't win against NYI, and now likely have to go 14-4-3 the next 21... that's not going to be easy.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Of course they didn't win against NYI, and now likely have to go 14-4-3 the next 21... that's not going to be easy.
Fair point that achieving that kind of record could be tough, but it doesn't have to be in the next 21 games. As long as they get to first at some point. While I agree that Boston would be a great match-up for the Leafs in the first round, I think they will be better off playing a wild card team in the first round and having home ice in the second round.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
… initially I thought he was just rental fodder.. but a 2 year extension?

Jeeez man

Hawks don't have many players signed beyond this year, so they'll need to overpay for guys like Foligno and take on some bad contracts via trade.

Should be a popular destination for bottom 6/fringe players looking for some cash this summer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hawks don't have many players signed beyond this year, so they'll need to overpay for guys like Foligno and take on some bad contracts via trade.

Should be a popular destination for bottom 6/fringe players looking for some cash this summer.
I've got a few contracts, that could help them out.... Maybe they'd like Kampf and Reaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad