Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Ullmark left injured last night... while they still have Swayman, those two have been on a predictable, reliable rotation. Messing with that could have an impact.
Boston has been pretty average with Ullmark, so I guess we'll see what they become without him.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Overachieved early in the season, just regressing more towards their talent level now. I still think they'll finish comfortably in a playoff spot.

Florida is probably gonna win the Atlantic, but I think the Leafs have a shot too.
Yeah their hot start essentially guarantees them a playoff spot as long as they don't completely collapse, which they won't

Florida has caught up and is a much better team so they should overtake. We could be looking at yet another Boston Toronto series this spring!

Grabo is back :laugh:

Love Grabo, one of my favourite Leafs ever

I would do crazy things for Kulemin - Grabo - McArthur on this team as the third line

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Grabo is back :laugh:

obligatory
1704977550301.png

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I’m trying to figure out if this is a bit or you believe it
Have you looked at Boston's record after their first 6 games this season? They are what most people thought they would be this season - they will clearly be a playoff team, but not one that will do any damage. I wouldn't like there odds against any of the wild card teams unless it's the Islanders or pens.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
hes not wront theyve been pretty meh after their torrid start
While they have certainly slowed down recently, and may continue to (especially with Ullmark injured), it still seems pretty silly to call the current 2nd best team in the league, on pace for 115 points, "pretty average".

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And yet we have gained no ground.

He guaranteed we would be in first place by Jan 1.
I thought they would by the new year, but it will happen eventually. The only fly in the ointment is Florida because they have been better than I expected, but they will be in tough against LA tonight, especially since LA lost to them last week. But Boston? They aren't doing anything this season. I'm pretty sure their fans are pretty realistic about it from what I've seen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Boston got 31 points in their first 20 games, and 25 points in the next 20 games.
Florida got 25 points in their first 20, and 29 points in their next 20.
We also got 25 points in our first 20 and 24 points in our next 18, with two games to get to 40... so as much as 28 points.

Our next 22 games could be tough.. playing 13 teams currently in a playoff spot... Vegas twice, Colorado twice, Winnipeg twice, NYI twice, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver, Dallas, NYR.

If Boston once again gets 25 points, we need 32 points over our next 22 games, just to tie them up. WE'd have to go 14-4-4 to get there... or some combo similar... that's quite the tear..

Reactions: HolyCrap

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Boston got 31 points in their first 20 games, and 25 points in the next 20 games.
Florida got 25 points in their first 20, and 29 points in their next 20.
We also got 25 points in our first 20 and 24 points in our next 18, with two games to get to 40... so as much as 28 points.

Our next 22 games could be tough.. playing 13 teams currently in a playoff spot... Vegas twice, Colorado twice, Winnipeg twice, NYI twice, Edmonton, Seattle, Vancouver, Dallas, NYR.

If Boston once again gets 25 points, we need 32 points over our next 22 games, just to tie them up. WE'd have to go 14-4-4 to get there... or some combo similar... that's quite the tear..
I don't think Boston is going to get 25 points in its next 20 games. They have followed a pretty clear trend after their undefeated start. To be fair, I think they are simply now playing the way most people expected them to after the off-season roster changes. Had they not had the easy start to their schedule, I think this would be a different conversation.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If you took their first 40 games and broke it into 4 ten game segments, I imagine it would show a trend of decreasing points.
1st ten: 9-0-1
2nd ten: 5-3-2
3rd ten: 5-2-3
4th ten: 5-3-2

So.. no. It shows that they excelled through an easy stretch at the beginning of the year, and then leveled out to a consistent 0.600-0.650 pace.
In fact, their pace over the past 30 games is exactly the previously mentioned 25 points per 20 GP.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
1st ten: 9-0-1
2nd ten: 5-3-2
3rd ten: 5-2-3
4th ten: 5-3-2

So.. no. It shows that they excelled through an easy stretch at the beginning of the year, and then leveled out to a consistent 0.600-0.650 pace.
In fact, their pace over the past 30 games is exactly the previously mentioned 25 points per 20 GP.
Right, and if the Leafs win the two games they have in hand on Boston, they are looking at a 3 point deficit, meaning that over a 40 game stretch the Leafs have to play just slightly higher than that .600-.650 pace. I'm not sure I see the mountain that others seem to see. I suppose you can factor in home and road splits in the second half, as the Bruins will have more home games than road games, whereas the Leafs will have a pretty even split.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Right, and if the Leafs win the two games they have in hand on Boston, they are looking at a 3 point deficit, meaning that over a 40 game stretch the Leafs have to play just slightly higher than that .600-.650 pace. I'm not sure I see the mountain that others seem to see. I suppose you can factor in home and road splits in the second half, as the Bruins will have more home games than road games, whereas the Leafs will have a pretty even split.
It's not a mountain, but surely you don't think it would be easy to go 14-4-4 against 13 playoff teams in 22 games do you? That's what it would take if Boston continues at a 25 point pace... it's a tough league. Can it be done... sure, but that's an 0.800 pace.. high bar.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's not a mountain, but surely you don't think it would be easy to go 14-4-4 against 13 playoff teams in 22 games do you? That's what it would take if Boston continues at a 25 point pace... it's a tough league. Can it be done... sure, but that's an 0.800 pace.. high bar.
But are those the numbers if Toronto has two additional wins to match the number of games played between the two teams? That doesn't sound right to me given that there would only be a 3 point difference between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad