Around the league part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I'm fine with that if the payoff is actual insight into a team's season and players.

I don't tune in to these games to be pandered to which I realize puts me square in the minority... I want to know what's going on and a bunch of "Well the losing team needs to be mentally tougher and more systematically composed" is.... not for me.

Gimme the actual details and story of the two teams involved in this series... even if the losing team is sad.

TEACH ME SOMETHING.
It's why, in my opinion, the two greatest sports broadcasting endeavors of all time were HBO Boxing in the 90s and the current NBC Premier League coverage. Both assume(d) that you already had a rudimentary understanding of the sport and would have your interested piqued and desire to learn more enhanced by treating you with respect and expecting you to put in some work on your own.

Modern American sports broadcasting is seemingly being aimed exclusively at folks who just fell off the turnip truck - and are overly desperate to get them to stay.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Would you be able to explain why, if possible? Not that I don't believe you - you've actually worked behind the scenes, and I'm interested.

From my perspective, there are multiple days between games. Why couldn't an announcer network with the media teams of who's playing, including their broadcasters, to learn of interesting storylines? I don't know what kind of prep goes into this, so maybe my expectations are unrealistic.
I think this has more to do with my feelings about "expertise" on any specific topic than it does someone's ability to consumer storylines.

It takes a lot of work paying attention to everything that happens with one team. Sure I could sit someone down and give them the broad strokes but that won't fill in the blanks, that won't give them a real sense of what the team is or who the player are.

I just think there's only so many hours in the day.

When I listen to a broadcast or a podcast or a TED Talk or whatever... I want an expert that knows their expertise isn't worth what other people think it is.

One of the reasons I really enjoy Bill Simmons is that I know nothing about basketball so the fact that he carries himself with supreme confidence allows me to pretend that he's an expert... when the reality is I don't believe that anybody can be as supremely knowledgable as he claims to be about basketball.

Same thing with PTI... I love Kornheiser and WIlbon but as soon as they start talking about hockey I realize

Oh.... they have no idea what they're talking about and it's probably true about every other sport I just happen to know in that case that they dont know what they're talking about.

When national platformers talk about the Kings I realize "oh... they don't know what they're talking about"

that was rambling. I hope that made any sense at all.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I know everyone is happy to see Edmonton lose, but I was hoping for a good 7 game series.
If I liked both teams (like Dallas vs Florida) I'd agree with you. But my dislike for several Oilers players, and the several 1st overall picks they were awarded with while being mismanaged, takes priority.

And while every fandom does their fair share of ref blaming, it never fails to amuse me that a large contingent of Oilers fans think the league is out to get them despite their many lottery wins.

that was rambling. I hope that made any sense at all.
Not at all. I truly appreciate the time to explain. I don't agree completely but see where you're coming from.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Still doesn’t top the hate Canucks got in the early 2010s
That's true. That Canucks team was on another level and were far worse than this Edmonton team when it comes to diving, rattiness, and doing any and every cheap bullshit antic to try to eek their way forward.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
200w.gif

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Oilers pretty much have to win the cup this year or next year. Drai and Bouchard's contacts end next season.

If they can't win before those guys get huge raises, this group probably never will win the SC

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Only reason I’m watching is to watch Edmonton lose! Can’t wait to see ol’ sourpuss 97 throw a tantrum. Hope he goes to Tampa after his contract is up and the Bolts have started their retool part 4.

Reactions: shuchukfan

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Even when the Oilers made it 4-3 , I never got the sense FLA was going to lose. The last 30 seconds, they just stuff out the puck, wouldn't let it come off the boards. One to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad