Around the league part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Ok, haven’t followed much, just watched him make a 50+ save performance against CAR.
Looking at a big sample size it's not so rosy. His GSAA/60 over the past few years has been very poor.

This stat (goals saved above average per 60) is probably the best indicator of how "good" a goalie is. At the top of the category over the last 3 years, you have the usual suspects: Saros (0.49), Ullmark (0.48), Sorokin (0.46), Francouz (0.43), Shesterkin (0.37), Vasilevskiy (0.36). Basically every two games Saros allows 1 less goal than should have been scored on him. It's just one shot per se, he's just playing a half-goal better per game than he should be, and he's done that consistently.

Average, no-frills goalies are at 0 for this stat. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly where Copley sits - right at 0.0. He makes the saves he should. Occasionally he'll save one he shouldn't or let one by that he should have stopped, but it all averages out.

Goalies who struggle are in the negative. They simply aren't playing well - think of guys like Allen (-.10), Campbell (-.10) or Lehner (-.12). Petersen is at -0.13. Guys like Quick and Rask who have really fallen off are -.23 and -.22 respectively.

Gibson is at -.15, slightly worse than Petersen. Another name that came up in rumors was Reimer, why I have no idea. He's at a -.23 right by Quick. It's a who's-who of players we wouldn't want, and Gibson is right in the middle of it.

It doesn't mean he can't have good games like Quick did the other night, he just can't be relied on for the long haul. 4 years of it would be an absolute nightmare, imagine if Cal was signed for two more and you get the picture. There's always the chance that Gibson turns it around, but it's not likely.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Looking at a big sample size it's not so rosy. His GSAA/60 over the past few years has been very poor.

This stat (goals saved above average per 60) is probably the best indicator of how "good" a goalie is. At the top of the category over the last 3 years, you have the usual suspects: Saros (0.49), Ullmark (0.48), Sorokin (0.46), Francouz (0.43), Shesterkin (0.37), Vasilevskiy (0.36). Basically every two games Saros allows 1 less goal than should have been scored on him. It's just one shot per se, he's just playing a half-goal better per game than he should be, and he's done that consistently.

Average, no-frills goalies are at 0 for this stat. Unsurprisingly, this is exactly where Copley sits - right at 0.0. He makes the saves he should. Occasionally he'll save one he shouldn't or let one by that he should have stopped, but it all averages out.

Goalies who struggle are in the negative. They simply aren't playing well - think of guys like Allen (-.10), Campbell (-.10) or Lehner (-.12). Petersen is at -0.13. Guys like Quick and Rask who have really fallen off are -.23 and -.22 respectively.

Gibson is at -.15, slightly worse than Petersen. Another name that came up in rumors was Reimer, why I have no idea. He's at a -.23 right by Quick. It's a who's-who of players we wouldn't want, and Gibson is right in the middle of it.

It doesn't mean he can't have good games like Quick did the other night, he just can't be relied on for the long haul. 4 years of it would be an absolute nightmare, imagine if Cal was signed for two more and you get the picture. There's always the chance that Gibson turns it around, but it's not likely.
Nice summary but after watching hockey for 25 years this is difficult to put into perspective.

I would never trade for him but he is slightly over .900 for several years now and is also playing for a horrible team for several years now. That says there is more left in the tank.

Thats not as bad as you make him out to be. That will increase drastically when traded to a more well structured defense.

I have seen these SV% in combination with the team player is playing for, for more than two decades. The numbers are flawed.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Lucic was such a beast for us that one year; would've liked to have him for another 2 or so years with the org.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Lucic was such a beast for us that one year; would've liked to have him for another 2 or so years with the org.

Not with that albatros of a contract. He sucked after his 1st year of his new deal. He was so bad in EDM , they basically gave him away. It was a bad trade for him anyway you look at it, and never should've happened.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
The 2019 draft class has produced so many productive players who are already making a big impact on their clubs.

If we didn't get Kaliyev out of that draft the 1st round would look absolutely brutal (I know Arty wasn't a 1st rounder but he was close). He and Spence at least look like excellent picks for their draft spots. Fagemo I'm honestly not that high on, but he's been good too.

Reactions: Schmooley

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
If we didn't get Kaliyev out of that draft the 1st round would look absolutely brutal (I know Arty wasn't a 1st rounder but he was close). He and Spence at least look like excellent picks for their draft spots. Fagemo I'm honestly not that high on, but he's been good too.
Even Fagemo has more points than Turc.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
The 2019 draft class has produced so many productive players who are already making a big impact on their clubs.

Hat trick and 4 points in a 7-4 victory. Cozens on the kings would be with the Reign doing great on the third line fighting Taylor Ward for 2nd unit PP minutes. :sarcasm: But in all seriousness kids a stud.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Good get for NJ.

Hughes is looking like a star. Mercer is on a tear. Bratt coming into his own.

This team is going to make some noise for a while with Meier added to the mix.

Will be interesting to see what they give up for this trade and sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad