Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
This move kind of goes against what we know of Dubas. Yager is more a Dubas “type player”
There's that, but you wonder how much hockey went into this trade as opposed to simply capitalizing on a unique situation where you can swap out your top prospect for one that is generally regarded as a slight upgrade.

Do you cast off your newly drafted 14OA from the organization for another, potentially problematic, one that's perceived to be slightly more valuable? It could make good sense, but I've never recognized any of that in KD.

Imagine the unforced egg on face if Yager hits and Groats doesn't? Stay tuned...

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
We should dig up the offers being made on this forum for McGroarty.

Pretty sure they were something like Minten, 1st., prospect and some probably threw Liljegren into the deal.
Not sure what the equivalent Leafs package would be but there's a big leap from Minten to a Yager/McGroaty - it's hard to make that up in quantity of probably never wills. Would we trade Cowan for Minten, a low 1st, and a prospect?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure what the equivalent Leafs package would be but there's a big leap from Minten to a Yager/McGroaty - it's hard to make that up in quantity of probably never wills. Would we trade Cowan for Minten, a low 1st, and a prospect?

Is there really?

McGroarty is going to be Calder favorite before he dresses for a single game.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
There's that, but you wonder how much hockey went into this trade as opposed to simply capitalizing on a unique situation where you can swap out your top prospect for one that is generally regarded as a slight upgrade.

Do you cast off your newly drafted 14OA from the organization for another, potentially problematic, one that's perceived to be slightly more valuable? It could make good sense, but I've never recognized any of that in KD.

Imagine the unforced egg on face if Yager hits and Groats doesn't? Stay tuned...

McGroarty isn’t problematic. The situation is simple. They promised him NHL time then when it came to signing the organization changes their mind and as a result he didn’t want to play there.

McGroarty plays the style that Pittsburgh likes to play, a lot of crashing and banging, cycle game and he’s ready to play now. McGroarty has worn a letter pretty much on every team he’s played for. I think people need to stop labelling athletes as problematic when they advocate for what they feel is the best development path for them.

And I don’t think Dubas or Penguins will care. McGroarty fits their timeline now and in the future.

Reactions: jsol

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just spit-balling.
So much talk about failures to deliver, and no tool for teams to reward based on results.

The next CBA should include more ability to add performance clauses (bonuses).

Maybe something like $10mm each year, to be determined by the team on an annual basis.

So if some player stepped up regular or post-season, you can reward him/her.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reactions: Ianturnedbull

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Great option.

Logan can introduce him to his grandchildren. Tell tall tales about playing with Kyle Wellwood and Dany Heatley in the playoffs.

1st. round pick could be lottery protected?

David Edstrom
#32 overall ... so based on draft position can't be much value there ;-).

Magnus Chrona
View attachment 902816

It's Vegas' first rounder.

Know nothing about Chrona, but Edstrom doesn't look to be trending amazingly, I think he is closer to a Minten level prospect than Cowan.

Don't think this is a crazy price for Askarov.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's Vegas' first rounder.

Know nothing about Chrona, but Edstrom doesn't look to be trending amazingly, I think he is closer to a Minten level prospect than Cowan.

Don't think this is a crazy price for Askarov.
Vegas 1st., so late 20's.

Leafs offer ...
Peksa, Minten, 2026 1st. rounder low 20's and Robertson (the great equalizer).

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Wow. Seems preds did a great job there.

Askarov better show he can be very good. Sharks are going to need it.

It seems it works for both teams but still... seems a steep price for a goalie who hasn't proved f*** all in the NHL. Big gamble.

If he ends up being a top tier guy that'll change the narrative real quick. Interesting trade.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't mind the deal for both sides.

Sharks can give him as much icetime as he wants, and it doesn't matter if he's not ready as they can just tank another season.

The Preds now have a huge amount of ammunition for mid season trades too

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
SJ evidently did what it had to in order to nab that elusive starter in goal. Even if the Sharks do end up with the best player in this trade, it remains to be seen how quickly Askarov and the team around him can grow together and improve the overall situation. NSH may also have done well here to obtain both a past and a future 1st round pick in exchange for someone who is also still more "potential" than "proven" at the NHL level.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Askarov was never going to fit the preds timeline. they are trying to compete right now. take what you can get. can always use the first in a trade for someone else.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Celebrini, Dickinson and Askarov seems like a good foundation for a possible dynasty. I believe they got quite a few forward prospects as well already and potentially another with another top 5 pick most likely.

Reactions: Frostitute

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I would have thought the deal would have been something like one disgruntled prospect for another. A prospect around the Robertson level.
Depends how you rate Askarov I guess. If you see him as a 50/50 shot to be an Otter/Sorokin he's worth a lot more than Robo, or what the Sharks gave up. It's a rare opportunity.

Sharks are pretty flush with capital too.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Askarov was never going to fit the preds timeline. they are trying to compete right now. take what you can get. can always use the first in a trade for someone else.

Trotz's plan to get aggressively better and older isn't typical Nashville. Askarov was drafted before all that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad