Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Leafs trade Marner, Liljegren, Robertson, Stolarz, Minten, 1st (2026)
Winnipeg trades Hellebuyck, Pionk, Perfetti

Leafs trade Tavares, 1st(2027)
Calgary trades Kadri

Perfetti(3.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
Knies(1)/Kadri(7)/Nylander(11.5)
Holmberg(1)/Domi(3.75)/Jarnkrok(2)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35)

Reilly(7.5)/Pionk(6)
McCabe(2)/Tanev(4.5)
OEL(3.5)/Benoit(1)
*Hakanpaa(1.5)

Hellebuyck (8.5)
Woll (1)

Total=85.6

Lmao Jesus and they say anyone from HF can step in and be a GM?!

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You put the 1st. on the wrong side.

Leafs get the 1st. for taking on the long term Kadri deal.

Only if you think it will age worse than Tavares.

I'm not convinced that's the case. I've never thought the difference between them was worth the difference in salary and still don't. Going forward I expect Kadri will be the better player and probably not earning much more than Tavares on his next contract.

I wouldn't hate on Treliving for trading a 1st for Kadri straight up let lone unloading Captain Boat Anchor in the process.

I'm also tentative of the proposals that move Marner as the best player in the deal AND have the Leafs including a first.

I kinda think Hellebuyck is the best player in this trade and that's why it was an overwhelming offer.

I doubt Winnipeg would trade Hellebuyck straight up for Marner. I wouldn't if I was them. Let lone throwing in Perfetti who is worth much more than Robertson imo.

In the end all those futures usually aren't worth what people hype them up to be anyways.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Only if you think it will age worse than Tavares.

I'm not convinced that's the case. I've never thought the difference between them was worth the difference in salary and still don't. Going forward I expect Kadri will be the better player and probably not earning much more than Tavares on his next contract.

I wouldn't hate on Treliving for trading a 1st for Kadri straight up let lone unloading Captain Boat Anchor in the process.
Tavares is no long term anchor, Kadri has $7mm through age 38.
Leafs will likely extend Tavares for less term and less Cap.

Always have to beware of stats on bottom feeders.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Tavares is no long term anchor, Kadri has $7mm through age 38.
Leafs will likely extend Tavares for less term and less Cap.

Always have to beware of stats on bottom feeders.

He had 87 in Colorado.the year they won the cup.

His best years are behind him for sure. But still gonna be better than Tavares the next few years. He's an actual 2C and a good one at that.

I always liked the other intangibles he brings that Tavares lacks as well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

His best years are behind him for sure. But still gonna be better than Tavares the next few years. He's an actual 2C and a good one at that.

Zero chance Kadri plays in Toronto, while Shanahan is here.

Reactions: horner and OddyOh

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think Calgary is the right spot for Kadri though.
No expectations, and no bad history, and the refs don't care.
At this point, Flames are just another NHL team, nothing special.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Wouldn’t that be determined by the player’s willingness to report there?
Of course.. but if there were six teams he was willing to go to, it wouldn't be cheap. We have no idea of those details. It was a good deal for both teams, and really, Pittsburgh didn't have much else to deal.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Good move to obtain the player but I would think a player in that situation would cost less to acquire.

The jets still had leverage. McGroarty wasn’t gonna become a UFA for two more years. They could have sat on him. McGroarty would only improve in college. They didn’t need to move him unless the deal was right and fair.

Of course.. but if there were six teams he was willing to go to, it wouldn't be cheap. We have no idea of those details. It was a good deal for both teams, and really, Pittsburgh didn't have much else to deal.

Agreed and it was Yager or their 2025 first and there no guarantee PIT is gonna be a good team so might as well hang on to the first. Get the more ready prospect. PIT also had a hell of a 2nd round in 2024 so I don’t think Yager is a huge huge loss. Though he’s got a great shot.

Reactions: ACC1224

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
It's not really risky though, because it's only cost cap space on a team that doesn't really care about wasting cap space right now. Worst case he's garbage and they bought a 2nd round pick.

If he stays healthy and plays even decent they retain and get more picks/prospects for him in the future.

He gets his act together and plays well and they either trade him for a haul or see him as a long term piece. Even if you think this outcome is unlikely, which I'd agree that it probably is, there's potential for significant upside here for the Habs and little downside.

It's what all bad teams should do. Use your cap space to your advantage and take chances on guys with upside. It's basically the opposite of what the Sens have done, they're a bad team that trades futures for guys at peak value, tanks them, and then sells for peanuts.
Sens fan here: the Melnyk/Dorion era, don't remind me.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Leafs trade Marner, Liljegren, Robertson, Stolarz, Minten, 1st (2026)
Winnipeg trades Hellebuyck, Pionk, Perfetti

Leafs trade Tavares, 1st(2027)
Calgary trades Kadri

Perfetti(3.5)/Matthews(13.5)/Cowan(1)
Knies(1)/Kadri(7)/Nylander(11.5)
Holmberg(1)/Domi(3.75)/Jarnkrok(2)
McMann(1)/Kampf(2.5)/Dewar(1)
*Reaves(1.35)

Reilly(7.5)/Pionk(6)
McCabe(2)/Tanev(4.5)
OEL(3.5)/Benoit(1)
*Hakanpaa(1.5)

Hellebuyck (8.5)
Woll (1)

Total=85.6
I think you are going to give grocery stick guy a run for his money.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Yep, Pitts got an incremental upgrade on their top prospect as a result of Groats 'situation'. Bit of a strange move though unless there was more to Yagers story, they just selected the guy 14OA.

We'll see how it works out. Feels a bit like the Dubie arbitrage special, spit out of a spreadsheet but the workbook is broken.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep, Pitts got an incremental upgrade on their top prospect as a result of Groats 'situation'. Bit of a strange move though unless there was more to Yagers story, they just selected the guy 14OA.

We'll see how it works out. Feels a bit like the Dubie arbitrage special, spit out of a spreadsheet but the workbook is broken.

They just traded the 2023 14th overall for the 2022 14th overall.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

This move kind of goes against what we know of Dubas. Yager is more a Dubas “type player”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad