Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kids line going to on display in Rookie Tournament.

Before that, he’ll be among the most intriguing players for Toronto at the 2024 Prospect Showdown this weekend at Bell Centre in Montreal, where the Maple Leafs will face the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday and Sunday.

At Toronto’s first practice for the event Wednesday, Minten centered a line with left wing Easton Cowan, his roommate in training camp last season, and right wing Nikita Grebenkin.

“Just a really good player,” Cowan said of Minten, “always supports the puck well and plays well on both sides of the puck, a good 200-foot player and [I’m] rooming with him again this year, which is always good. Just helps out a lot on the ice that we have good chemistry off the ice, and that should translate on the ice.”

Reactions: uncleben

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 32 teams from Aug. 1-Sept. 1. Today, the top five prospects for the Toronto Maple Leafs, according to NHL.com.

1. Easton Cowan, F​

How acquired: Selected with No. 28 pick in 2023 NHL Draft
2023-24 season: London (OHL): 54 GP; 34-62-96
The 19-year-old said at development camp last month that he's aiming to start the season with the Maple Leafs. When he arrives at training camp next month, the speedy forward (5-foot-11, 185 pounds) will be given every opportunity to do just that.
Cowan seems to be ready to take the next step after receiving the Red Tilson Trophy as the Ontario Hockey League's Most Outstanding Player during the regular season. He was also named to the OHL and CHL First All-Star Team and earned the Wayne Gretzky 99 Award for playoff MVP.
"He's a really special kid, very driven. He's got a great motor," Toronto assistant general manager, player development Dr. Hayley Wickenheiser said.
Projected NHL arrival: This season.

2. Fraser Minten, F​

How Acquired: Selected with No. 38 pick in 2022 NHL Draft
2023-24 season: Toronto (NHL): 4 GP, 0-0-0; Saskatoon (WHL): 36 GP, 19-19-38; Kamloops (WHL): 7 GP, 3-7-10
The 20-year-old's skill set is encouraging. He’s known for his effective shot and using his size (6-2, 192) and physicality effectively. Add in the on-ice intangible of leadership, which he exhibited by captaining Canada at the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship, and there are plenty of reasons for the Maple Leafs to foresee a bright future for him.
Last fall he became the first teenage second-round pick to earn a spot out of training camp with the Maple Leafs since Matt Stajan, a forward chosen No. 57 in the 2002 NHL Draft, made it as a 19-year-old in 2003-04. After his four-game stint with Toronto last season, he could find himself battling Cowan for a full-time gig with the Maple Leafs.
"He's a very mature kid," Dr. Wickenheiser said. "He's a leader everywhere he goes and he's really like a sponge."
Projected NHL arrival: This season

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Ben Danford injured about 5 minutes into his first Leaf training camp. Second straight year one of our top 10 prospects is injured by a big hit in a prospect scrimmage.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Ben Danford injured about 5 minutes into his first Leaf training camp. Second straight year one of our top 10 prospects is injured by a big hit in a prospect scrimmage.
Dillingham hit Hirvonen last year and ended up with a minor league deal
Not saying that's why he got the contract or that Finnie will too after this, but the team at least understands it's an inherent risk of the game, even in scrimmage (though would need to see the actual hit to see if it was dumb dumb)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Brutal. Hopefully he is alright. Going forward if we're going to bring FAs to camp looking to make an impression, maybe we should keep our top picks out of the live scrimmages.

Let these guys blow up the Habs top prospects.

Reactions: supermann_98

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Not saying that's why he got the contract or that Finnie will too after this, but the team at least understands it's an inherent risk of the game, even in scrimmage (though would need to see the actual hit to see if it was dumb dumb)
Interesting point.

How did Dillingham end up doing last year? I don’t really remember hearing his name at all after this incident.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

6'4" 212lb C, Cedric Pare..... on his first NHL contract... might he be a dark horse to develop a bit more and end up getting some NHL call up games? Can play wing, can play C, can PK.

Attended Leafs development camp and rookie games in 2021. Played in games for the Leafs.

Pare's Colorado Eagle's coach last year had this to say about him... what to expect from him.... Good versatility... play C, play wing.... has some offensive upside, has played PP, PK, has grit. His physical play, tenacity has really increased... working on puck protection, getting to the hard areas that he's had to grow into, and now has is part of his game.

Key standouts... Really good at faceoffs, when he's got the puck on the stick... big guy with good range, when he plays with tenacity... he can create havoc and scoring chances... a true power forward who can play 200ft.

--------------------------------

Leafs could really use a good sized guy like this, power forward... would be great to replace Kampf with someone like this, if he can take another couple of steps forward.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Ah it's hockey. These things are going to happen. Obviously sucks to see our first rounder leave the ice, but at the end of the day it's a physical sport. I'd rather have competitiveness in development camp and run the risk of injury vs establish a country club atmosphere.

Its a physical sport and even more competitive business. It's a good lesson for all these guys to practice the way they intend to play.

Obviously I say all of this without any context of the hit itself. Clearly i do not support dirty hits or cheapshots. But aside from that, I really want to see these kids physically engage at these camps

Reactions: Kelly

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Are we gonna get updated heights and weights at some this training camp? I’m curious about Cowan and Niemela. They both look bigger. When asked about what he worked on this summer the first thing Niemela said was strength.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I feel like in past eras it would have been more common place for this kind of dog eat dog, prison yard, go after the first rounder to make a name for yourself mentality… not a good result but when you want to create a competitive hot house environment things can get out of hand. Not a good outcome but it is hockey. Hopefully they take good care of Danford and he’s back to full health and can enjoy camp.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He has a Bozak kind of vibe to him. I hope there’s an opening for him to take a run at a spot and can solve some forward depth issues for us.
I wish he was Bozak. Every guy has to be the next Tucker, Bozak guy. Maybe even the next Gilmour. We hope he adjusts to the 80 game schedule in the Ahl and gets called up. He won't be Bozak.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I feel like in past eras it would have been more common place for this kind of dog eat dog, prison yard, go after the first rounder to make a name for yourself mentality… not a good result but when you want to create a competitive hot house environment things can get out of hand. Not a good outcome but it is hockey. Hopefully they take good care of Danford and he’s back to full health and can enjoy camp.
I'm hoping they are being overly cautious, as this camp is really quite meaningless for most of the attendees.

Some want to get noticed, others know they're heading back to junior or minor leagues, and maybe 3-4 have a chance to get a chance.

Reactions: JEI

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He has a Bozak kind of vibe to him. I hope there’s an opening for him to take a run at a spot and can solve some forward depth issues for us.

I like how competitive he is with this, he isn't looking at it like the roster is full, he has the attitude of wanting to force his way onto the roster. It's a massive up hill battle and he might need to have some stupidly good games to do it but I love how he's willing to battle for this.

At worst he makes a great impression on Berube and then is a call up option later this year, I know what you mean with the Bozak vibes. I think Bozak's NCAA stats were a bit better and maybe he can't be a 2C like Bozak but if Quilan can be a 3C or 4C and battles hard, responsible defensively than we can't ask for more. I like him.

Reactions: aingefan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He would have to show more. Dillingham had to.

Was he re-signed?

I am assuming if he showed a lot at camp last year, they'd extend him, he's young and the potential is there it appears.

Seems weird that he showed so well and he got one game with the Marlies and then played in the ECHL all year...

He got rewarded for his hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad