Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
RIP Johnny, way too young.

Apparently they were hit by a drunk driver.

PEDRICKTOWN, N.J. (CBS) — Columbus Blue Jackets player Johnny Gaudreau and his brother were killed in a crash Thursday night in Salem County, New Jersey, State Police confirmed to CBS News Philadelphia.

Gaudreau, 31, and his 29-year-old brother Matthew were riding bikes on County Route 551 in Oldmans Township, Salem County on Thursday night when they were struck by a man driving a Jeep.

Police said the driver, 43-year-old Sean Higgins of Woodstown, New Jersey, attempted to pass a slower vehicle when he hit the Gaudreau brothers.

The Blue Jackets confirmed the Gaudreaus deaths in a post on X.

Higgins was detained under suspicion he was under the influence of alcohol and charged with two counts of death by auto. He was taken to the Salem County Correctional Facility.

According to officials, the New Jersey State Police talked to the driver who remained at the scene.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I’m stunned and heartbroken.

This is just a crushing loss.

My condolences to the Gaudreau family, and the Columbus Blue Jackets family and fans.

You are all in my thoughts.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I feel awful for CBJ fans. They cant catch a break. 2 years ago Kivlenieks passed away from a freak accident. He was part of the CBJ org and was really close to merzlikins. Last season they have to deal with all the babcock BS right before the season starts and completely derailed everything going into the year. And now this has just happened...

What a tragedy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
1725024402960.png

On a personnel note, this bothers me a lot. I hate that this has happened to a family and two young men like this. I hate what it's done to the family... the day before his sister's wedding no less. That's just going to scar the family for life, on so many levels. Sure, the wedding will likely be postponed, but even postponement isn't going to take the stink out of this. All because this MFer Higgins decided he was ok to drive home this time.

This also bothers me, because I'm a cyclist too. I've known people who have been hurt, even killed in the past. I ride on country roads, with less traffic, as it feels safer. I've always worried a little bit though, and each time you hear of something like this, you just have more reservations. I was supposed to go on a bike tour this Sunday... I just don't think I'll be able to do it.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
View attachment 904001

On a personnel note, this bothers me a lot. I hate that this has happened to family and two young men like this. I hate what it's done to the family... the day before his sister's wedding no less. That's just going to scar the family for life, on so many levels. Sure, the wedding will likely be postponed, but even postponement isn't going to take the stink out of this. All because this MFer Higgins decided he was ok to drive home this time.

This also bothers me, because I ride bikes for exercise. I've known people who have been hurt, even killed in the past. I ride on country roads, with less traffic, as it feels safer. I've always worried a little bit though, and each time you hear of something like this, you just have more reservations. I was supposed to go on a bike tour this Sunday... I just don't think I'll be able to do it.
Holy f*** what a drunk, impatient piece of garbage.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Goddamn, Johnny Hockey…

A star player in his prime killed, when was the last time that happened?!

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
As I cyclist myself who was hit by the truck (thankfully at low speed), I can only say that there are drivers out there that should simply not be on the road. Their driving privileges should be taken away forever. There were countless interaction where I warned drivers that with their driving style they would kill someone one day and then they would need to own it and not sit on the curb with their hands around their head and go directly to police officer and ask for maximum charge and punishment.
People should really drive to their abilities and not pretend that they are Michael Schumacher. Even Michael got into terrible accident himself. There is a lesson there everyone should learn. Stay in your lane, break and keep distance, maintain observability, do not assume that technology and great safety advances of modern cars will excuse reckless behaviour of driver on the road.
What a terrible terrible accident! RIP Johnny!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
As I cyclist myself who was hit by the truck (thankfully at low speed), I can only say that there are drivers out there that should simply not be on the road. Their driving privileges should be taken away forever. There were countless interaction where I warned drivers that with their driving style they would kill someone one day and then they would need to own it and not sit on the curb with their hands around their head and go directly to police officer and ask for maximum charge and punishment.
People should really drive to their abilities and not pretend that they are Michael Schumacher. Even Michael got into terrible accident himself. There is a lesson there everyone should learn. Stay in your lane, break and keep distance, maintain observability, do not assume that technology and great safety advances of modern cars will excuse reckless behaviour of driver on the road.
What a terrible terrible accident! RIP Johnny!
A slow driver in front of you just might be your guardian angel.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
A slow driver in front of you just might be your guardian angel.
Yeah, I can see that on country road car could protect bicyclist until it’s very safe to pass.
In my particular case though, guy was turning right on red signal without stopping or giving right of way to traffic moving with green.

Reactions: Nineteen67

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Carolina Hurricanes veteran forward Jesper Fast is not expected to play in the 2024-25 season after undergoing neck surgery on August 6, the team announced on Thursday.

That will take their Capspace to about $10.5mm, needing another defender, and signing 33 goal scoring forward Jarvis.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
View attachment 904001

On a personnel note, this bothers me a lot. I hate that this has happened to a family and two young men like this. I hate what it's done to the family... the day before his sister's wedding no less. That's just going to scar the family for life, on so many levels. Sure, the wedding will likely be postponed, but even postponement isn't going to take the stink out of this. All because this MFer Higgins decided he was ok to drive home this time.

This also bothers me, because I'm a cyclist too. I've known people who have been hurt, even killed in the past. I ride on country roads, with less traffic, as it feels safer. I've always worried a little bit though, and each time you hear of something like this, you just have more reservations. I was supposed to go on a bike tour this Sunday... I just don't think I'll be able to do it.
So some impatient dickhead driver who was already drinking was the perpetrator of this tragedy?

The Gaudreau family/friends have to be scarred for life now cause some drunk moron was in a rush to get nowhere? Life is truly bizarre sometimes.

Reactions: 1specter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad