Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Looking at our division, I think Florida is really going to be impacted by the loss of both Montour and OEL.
That is ALOT of puckmoving ability and offense from the blueline.
Kulikov/Mikkola as your 2nd pairing is very underwhelming and Boqvist is one of those give you offense but then be a tire fire defensively type.
They will still be a good to very good team but it's pretty significant to lose that much passing, puckmoving and offensive ability from the backend in one offseason coming off a championship.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And done with some wonky structuring

The deal technically involves payment over 9 years to help lower the aav

Hmm?
Does is make it through CBA police?
Why not pay over 10 or 11 years.

Is there a breakdown somewhere?

No source was willing to divulge precisely how much money has been deferred, or in which year(s) of the deal the money is deferred, but there is a deferred signing bonus payment that is scheduled for July 1, 2032 – which is one day after the contract officially expires on June 30, 2032.

How is this any different than the banned contracts?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hmm?
Does is make it through CBA police?
Why not pay over 10 or 11 years.

Is there a breakdown somewhere?

No source was willing to divulge precisely how much money has been deferred, or in which year(s) of the deal the money is deferred, but there is a deferred signing bonus payment that is scheduled for July 1, 2032 – which is one day after the contract officially expires on June 30, 2032.

How is this any different than the banned contracts?

Imo it's safe to say the league will formally review it. From what I understand it's technically permissible based on current cba wording, but seems to clash with the 'spirit of the cba' at the same time

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
So does this produce a cap charge in the 9th year?

Apparently, it may not. Interestingly, the only other case of a contract like this being signed involved the Coyotes signing Doan, when Tre was the Coyotes AGM. So we def have the institutional knowledge within our org to pull something similar off.

I think we're all going to be thinking the same thing on this one...why didn't we do this with Willy, and can we do it with Mitch?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Seth Jarvis signed. 8 x $7.9 million.

Market deal.

Seems like that's probably below market,, isn't it? Jarvis just scored 33 goals and 67 points while being excellent defensively. 6 years ago, with a 79.5 million dollar cap, Nylander got the same 7.5 million dollars per year over a shorter term after scoring 20 goals and 61 points while being bad defensively.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Apparently, it may not. Interestingly, the only other case of a contract like this being signed involved the Coyotes signing Doan, when Tre was the Coyotes AGM. So we def have the institutional knowledge within our org to pull something similar off.

I think we're all going to be thinking the same thing on this one...why didn't we do this with Willy, and can we do it with Mitch?
Mitch wouldn't even take a market value contract and you're expecting him to agree to get payments a full year later? Wishful thinking.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
not knowing something like this is possible, could you do a 1 year deal worth league min and then give them a bonus of deferred money of say 5 million July 1st the following season? and only have a cap of 875k and nothing the following year? seems like a good plan to put Tavares on the remainder of his career if that's the case he would only be taking a hit in the first year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Seems like that's probably below market,, isn't it? Jarvis just scored 33 goals and 67 points while being excellent defensively. 6 years ago, with a 79.5 million dollar cap, Nylander got the same 7.5 million dollars per year over a shorter term after scoring 20 goals and 61 points while being bad defensively.

Nylander was $6.9. Nylander had two years of 61 points. Jarvis’s prior season was 39 points.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

If it doesn't, the NHL can't allow it. It would destroy the salary cap.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Nylander was $6.9.

Nylander's cap hit may have been 6.9, but the contract he signed was for 7.5.

Two important factors to include:

#1 - The 7th and 8th year really boost the value of this contract. Jarvis will still be getting 7.5 at the ages of 28 and 29, while Nylander just went up to 11.5.
#2 - Nylander signed with a cap limit of just 79.5. Even his 6.9 cap hit is a higher percentage than Jarvis' 7.5 on an 88.0 cap.

Nylander had two years of 61 points. Jarvis’s prior season was 39 points.

Two questions:

#1 - You don't think the final year of an entry level deal is much more important than the previous year? What about the first year then, why not count that too? Over their entire ELCs, Jarvis scored 16 more goals and11 more points than Nylander.

#2 - Does that logic also apply to Nylander's current contract? We just paid Nylander 11.5 million because he scored 98 points.... but he averaged less than 79 points per 82 games in the last 5 years of that contract, and less than 74 points per 82 if you count all 6 years.

Reactions: IPS and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If this goes through, marner can come in less than Nylander and make more.

Pandora's box lid is being lifted.
More likely scenario is Marner uses this loophole to bleed more money out of the Leafs on his next deal. I have no confidence that Tre and company wouldn’t be stupid enough not to bite………

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This is what Carolina was gifted from Dubas by taking the last year of the Marleau deal off of Leafs hands.
Actually, it's what Carolina was gifted from Lou when he knowingly signed a horrific poison pill contract that would have to be moved, and the NHL when they changed the rules after the trade was made.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think aside from figuring out Robertson were basically looking at a finished product. Sad imo
Possibly a PTO opportunity for 1 player. If this is the team then it seems certain that Cowen/Minton have spots. I want to believe that both are good, but they have to be exceptional in camp.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Possibly a PTO opportunity for 1 player. If this is the team then it seems certain that Cowen/Minton have spots. I want to believe that both are good, but they have to be exceptional in camp.

I expect a couple positions are up in the air.

Robertson should stick to his guns and stay home.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a real opportunity there, and someone / some challenged and won those spots, forcing Treliving to put veterans on waivers? Clearing enough Cap Space for entry level players?

Robertson has already had those opportunities, it would be nice if say Cowan and Grebenkin just forced Treliving's hand?

Okay, the annual dream will continue. Robertson has been part of that annual dream since 2020, and has been oh so close, but hasn't solidified his spot. This would have been the best opportunity, but instead he's opening it up for the new kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad