Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No, it wasn’t. He made 6.9 every year of the deal. The cap being higher in year 1 is of no consequence. He made no additional money.

Yep.

And I thought we were done with this years ago

The timing of the contract registering meant there was a wonky year 1. Nylander was never even paid for 7.5x6, so I'm not sure why that's still assumed to be the actual value of the deal

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Points per game over an ELC is certainly more relevant than raw points over an ELC.

It would depend why one player played more or fewer games. Making a contending team earlier than the comparable player makes a rebuilding team is a positive.

Lou moved us into a competitive phase before he signed that horrific contract that he knew at the time would have to be moved when the star ELCs ended.

Even if Lou did move us into a contender mindset, the genius Dubas should have realized we weren’t contenders yet, and reverted back to a building mindset.

Money only had to be moved when Tavares got signed, and even then, the better move would have been to move RFAs Kapanen and Johnsson.

Reactions: andora

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It would depend why one player played more or fewer games.
No, it wouldn't. Points per game would still be more representative of the player than raw points. The difference in games played isn't even about them anyway.
Even if Lou did move us into a contender mindset, the genius Dubas should have realized we weren’t contenders yet, and reverted back to a building mindset.
Money only had to be moved when Tavares got signed, and even then, the better move would have been to move RFAs Kapanen and Johnsson.
You can't just go back into a rebuild at that stage. We were well past that.
We were maxing out the cap before Tavares, and purposefully making the team worse and purging your young players is not a solution to Lou doing something stupid.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes and no. His first year salary is listed at $10 million but he only got 2/3 of that in actual money based on signing 1/3 of the way into the season. The cap sites don't explain it well.
He essentially signed a 41.77m contract that, due to the timing, had to be registered as a 45m contract in order to get him his 41.77m.

Reactions: Menzinger

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No, it wouldn't. Points per game would still be more representative of the player than raw points. The difference in games played isn't even about them anyway.

Yes it would. A guy who played more games at a younger age would have his per game average lowered by playing a higher percentage of games when he was a worse player.

You can't just go back into a rebuild at that stage. We were well past that.
We were maxing out the cap before Tavares, and purposefully making the team worse and purging your young players is not a solution to Lou doing something stupid.

Yeah, going all in sure paid off….

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes it would. A guy who played more games at a younger age would have his per game average lowered by playing a higher percentage of games when he was a worse player.
No it wouldn't. That's a different argument about considerations, that still wouldn't make raw points better.
But also, your consideration doesn't really apply here, because they made the NHL at the same age, and the main discrepancy is their 2nd seasons.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yep.

And I thought we were done with this years ago

The timing of the contract registering meant there was a wonky year 1. Nylander was never even paid for 7.5x6, so I'm not sure why that's still assumed to be the actual value of the deal
No, Nylander held out until the last minute, and he was back paid for the games he missed due to his holdout. In pure dollar value (which is what players are going for, not AAV or cap hit), it was 7.5 x 6 for 45 million dollars, and this really isn't up for debate either.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Less than 2 weeks until prospect tourney and less than 3 weeks away from pre-season. Players are starting to return to cities.

Exactly a month from regular season opening day...

Light at the end of the tunnel

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So he got paid 7.5 million per season, and he just didn’t play 6 full seasons.

No.

Be nice if there was an accurate record but best I can roughly calculate it is he got around:

9.5+9+6+6+6+6=$42.5mm (maybe a touch high) (He got paid based on games left in season for his partial 1st. year)
His Cap hit was 6.962
42.5/8 = 7.08

My guess he may have got a touch under 9.5 in year 1 for the Cap Hit to be 6.96.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I haven't invested much time into the new team's beginning. Are they really going to drag out the team name search this long?
The new owner wants to get it right and they felt like they didn’t have enough time.
The state is great market and SLC one of the cleanest cities in the US. From Provo to Brigham City is very impressive and the with all the changing landscape in it could be destination city for some players.
I certainly hope it does well and we’re planning to go to game out there in the next two years.

Reactions: uncleben

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The new owner wants to get it right and they felt like they didn’t have enough time.
The state is great market and SLC one of the cleanest cities in the US. From Provo to Brigham City is very impressive and the with all the changing landscape in it could be destination city for some players.
I certainly hope it does well and we’re planning to go to game out there in the next two years.

I mean Hockey Club was one of the poll options people voted for to name the team. It could be more than a placeholder.

The only argument I see for doing it this way is so they can double dip on jersey sales when they change the name next year

They had more than ample time

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I mean Hockey Club was one of the poll options people voted for to name the team. It could be more than a placeholder.

The only argument I see for doing it this way is so they can double dip on jersey sales when they change the name next year

They had more than ample time
It is a placeholder and the owner explained the situation, I can’t exactly remember why, but it made sense to me when I heard it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It is a placeholder and the owner explained the situation, I can’t exactly remember why, but it made sense to me when I heard it.

Okay double dipping on jersey sales it is then. If they can brand everything Hockey Club they could have done it with a proper name too. The work doesn’t change…

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Okay double dipping on jersey sales it is then. If they can brand everything Hockey Club they could have done it with a proper name too. The work doesn’t change…
Sure. The team design and color scheme, the arena renovations that have the franchise name incorporated into the design.
A lot of things had to happen and the owner wanted more time to make sure he has it right. I think the name will be Yeti and there could be some legal questions?

Let’s hope they do well. I can’t wait to go see a game out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad