Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

They aren't comparables, but isn't the difference in the regular season essentially just PPP?

Also, Drai sucks defensively.

Draisaitl is one of the most overrated players on the board.

He is a top 5 player, but his being talked about as #2 is crazy.

He gets scored on a lot at 5v5 and his team is usually around even there, but is great on the PP.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Whichever GM signs that is an idiot, mind you he will only be a year older than Drai was signing this one... so there will definitely be some dumb GM that does.

I'd rather a player signed through their prime than 6 years after their prime, but that's just me.

We pretending that players are in their prime forever?
We pretending that Matthews isn't gonna get exactly what he wants as long as he wants when that's all he's gotten his entire career?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They aren't comparables, but isn't the difference in the regular season essentially just PPP?

Also, Drai sucks defensively.

Draisaitl is one of the most overrated players on the board.

He is a top 5 player, but his being talked about as #2 is crazy.

He gets scored on a lot at 5v5 and his team is usually around even there, but is great on the PP.
He's not great defensively, but his team has outscored the opposition even strength, every year since 2017-18 when he's on the ice in the regular season.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's not great defensively, but his team has outscored the opposition even strength, every year since 2017-18 when he's on the ice in the regular season.

in the playoffs he is even, for every 32 goals for, there are 31 against.

We pretending that Matthews isn't gonna get exactly what he wants as long as he wants when that's all he's gotten his entire career?

I don't know what GM will hand out that horrible contract, but Draisaitl will most likely not be prime Draisaitl until his contract ends, so that is a large price to pay for a player who may be past his prime when the contract starts.

Matthews will be past his prime when his ends most likely.

These long contracts around 30 are not always good.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What other choice do teams have to keep those guys?

Capspace is the most value asset according to our board, you can replace players easily.

If they want to keep them, offer them shorter contracts.

If this is all they could agree to, make a decision.

I don't think this contract ages well.

I just don't understand how people think that an 8 year contract at a huge AAV to a player approaching 30 is a guaranteed win, players age, this may end up being absolutely terrible.

Reactions: bax

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Capspace is the most value asset according to our board, you can replace players easily.

If they want to keep them, offer them shorter contracts.

If this is all they could agree to, make a decision.

I don't think this contract ages well.

I just don't understand how people think that an 8 year contract at a huge AAV to a player approaching 30 is a guaranteed win, players age, this may end up being absolutely terrible.

First 6 years are probably good, and he can still be bought out, and who knows what the new CBA is going to look like.

Surprised they didn't used the Ohtani deferred payment option.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
you can replace players easily.
Only on message boards.
If this is all they could agree to, make a dI don't think this contract ages well.

Chances are it won't age well. General consensus was we'd go on deep runs for the first five years of JT's deal and then live with the last two years.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: meefer

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Whichever GM signs that is an idiot, mind you he will only be a year older than Drai was signing this one... so there will definitely be some dumb GM that does.

I'd rather a player signed through their prime than 6 years after their prime, but that's just me.

We pretending that players are in their prime forever?
Are we pretending players are completely washed up and useless after the age of 30 lmao?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Are we pretending players are completely washed up and useless after the age of 30 lmao?

How many players over the age of 30 are worth a 7 year 14 million dollar contract?

That is how much Draisaitl will have left on his deal and his best years will likely be behind him.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
How many players over the age of 30 are worth a 7 year 14 million dollar contract?

That is how much Draisaitl will have left on his deal and his best years will likely be behind him.
What would you suggest the Oilers do other wise? I'd love to hear since this is such an awful deal. I'm sure whatever you think they should have done is a much better path towards winning than this. Again, I'd love to hear your reasoning/what they should have done instead.

Who would be worth that over 30? Crosby, McDavid, Kucherov, Makar probably will be, Mack the list goes on. He fits right in there lol.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Probably won't age well but any Leaf fan would happily take Drasaitl here on that contract.
Great player.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What would you suggest the Oilers do other wise? I'd love to hear since this is such an awful deal. I'm sure whatever you think they should have done is a much better path towards winning than this. Again, I'd love to hear your reasoning/what they should have done instead.

Not an awful deal.

I just don't think it ages well.

If I were the GM of the Oilers, I re-sign him because I'll be fired in 2-3 years anyway.

If I am the GM for life, I consider if this is the best option moving forward for the franchise and its long-term success.

I also think Draisaitl is very overrated... he doesn't help too much outside of the PP.

He gets scored on A LOT.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not an awful deal.

I just don't think it ages well.

If I were the GM of the Oilers, I re-sign him because I'll be fired in 2-3 years anyway.

If I am the GM for life, I consider if this is the best option moving forward for the franchise and its long-term success.

I also think Draisaitl is very overrated... he doesn't help too much outside of the PP.
Just because it wont age well (any long term contract signed at that age most likely wont) doesnt make it a bad deal. By the time Drais reaches that point, then Edmonton will need to re-build so it doesnt even really matter what hes making at that point.

Youre pretty much saying you wouldnt sign any 29/30 year old to an 8 year deal because it'll be bad those last 2 years or so. Good luck retaining talent with that mindset.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just because it wont age well (any long term contract signed at that age most likely wont) doesnt make it a bad deal. By the time Drais reaches that point, then Edmonton will need to re-build so it doesnt even really matter what hes making at that point.

I'd rather try to stay competitive for years to come than rebuild soon because I signed contracts that won't age well.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
in the playoffs he is even, for every 32 goals for, there are 31 against.

I don't know what GM will hand out that horrible contract, but Draisaitl will most likely not be prime Draisaitl until his contract ends, so that is a large price to pay for a player who may be past his prime when the contract starts.

Matthews will be past his prime when his ends most likely.

These long contracts around 30 are not always good.
They will pay Matthews whatever he wants regardless of what is or isn't a good decision. In a few years we'll be having the same conversation about him that we're having about Tavares: overpaid, cannot skate, boat anchor...it's the inevitable cycle of sports

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'd rather try to stay competitive for years to come than rebuild soon because I signed contracts that won't age well.
Yeah that roster is looking really competitive without Drais! And im sure that would make McDavid wanting to stay even more if you got rid of him!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
So pumped for Edmonton to miss the playoffs and for Drai to demand a trade

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That’s a spicy paycheck … can’t say he hasn’t earned it though.

McDavid getting the league max. Then there is Bouchard.

Oil will have $50 mill tied up in McD, Drai, Bouchard, and Nurse

Plus an extra $11 in RNH and Hyman.

• Love
Reactions: PromisedLand

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That’s a spicy paycheck … can’t say he hasn’t earned it though.

McDavid getting the league max. Then there is Bouchard.

Oil will have $50 mill tied up in McD, Drai, Bouchard, and Nurse

Plus an extra $11 in RNH and Hyman.

I think McDavid will come.in a hair under 16 mil. 15.5ish. His agent will be licking his lips as soon as the league announced.th next cap raise.

Unfortunately I do think this extension will increase the odds of McDavid staying put. Which is a shame as.i was hoping to see him in a different city (didn't even need to be Toronto) as.i think he's done as much as can do in Edmonton and unfortunately the result was close but no cigar. Bad look for the sport if the best player in earth never gets a cup

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think McDavid will come.in a hair under 16 mil. 15.5ish. His agent will be licking his lips as soon as the league announced.th next cap raise.

Unfortunately I do think this extension will increase the odds of McDavid staying put. Which is a shame as.i was hoping to see him in a different city (didn't even need to be Toronto) as.i think he's done as much as can do in Edmonton and unfortunately the result was close but no cigar. Bad look for the sport if the best player in earth never gets a cup

McDavid to the Leafs in his prime would definitely be the dream and Draisaitl re-signing would seem to indicate they plan on sticking together in Edmonton at first glance, but so much could happen too. Edmonton wins a cup and it's mission accomplished, going home. Or Edmonton takes a step or two back and all bets are off. And the dark horse question is what kind of cap flexibility does Toronto carry into the offseason two years from now? They will have had to make a commitment or walk away from Marner by then, clouding the picture or leaving a big gap in the Toronto roster. Tavares could be gone or on a deep discount. Woll and Knies will be post current deals.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
McDavid to the Leafs in his prime would definitely be the dream and Draisaitl re-signing would seem to indicate they plan on sticking together in Edmonton at first glance, but so much could happen too. Edmonton wins a cup and it's mission accomplished, going home. Or Edmonton takes a step or two back and all bets are off. And the dark horse question is what kind of cap flexibility does Toronto carry into the offseason two years from now? They will have had to make a commitment or walk away from Marner by then, clouding the picture or leaving a big gap in the Toronto roster. Tavares could be gone or on a deep discount. Woll and Knies will be post current deals.
I think for there to be some sort of honest exploration of McDavid to Toronto you want to see the Leafs decisively outperform Oilers over the next two years. The worse the better for Edmonton and if they return to severe dysfunction that's perfect - he's gone to chase a legacy and everybody understands. I don't see it happening if he's cup(s) chasing.

Although if Marner is retained with an nmc then that honest exploration is probably short lived - maybe we lay low on nmc's altogether for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad