Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sure. The team design and color scheme, the arena renovations that have the franchise name incorporated into the design.
A lot of things had to happen and the owner wanted more time to make sure he has it right. I think the name will be Yeti and there could be some legal questions?

Let’s hope they do well. I can’t wait to go see a game out there.

Perhaps.
I am as well. I have friends in SLC so I’m looking forward to flying out and catching a game with them
Maybe when the Leafs come to town

Reactions: Nineteen67

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
No.

Be nice if there was an accurate record but best I can roughly calculate it is he got around:

9.5+9+6+6+6+6=$42.5mm (maybe a touch high) (He got paid based on games left in season for his partial 1st. year)
His Cap hit was 6.962
42.5/8 = 7.08

My guess he may have got a touch under 9.5 in year 1 for the Cap Hit to be 6.96.

He didn’t play 26 of the 82 games, so he loses 31.7% of his 10 million dollar salary in year 1, which was 3.17 million. The 2 million signing bonus gets paid in full.

So, he didn’t play 6% of the 454 games, and he lost out on 7% of his 45 million dollar contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No, Nylander held out until the last minute, and he was back paid for the games he missed due to his holdout. In pure dollar value (which is what players are going for, not AAV or cap hit), it was 7.5 x 6 for 45 million dollars, and this really isn't up for debate either.

That's not what was/is registered with the league.

Edit: in case anyone is interested here is the breakdown per year of the money,. interestingly the majority of the years have him making 6 mil in real dollars

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
No, Nylander held out until the last minute, and he was back paid for the games he missed due to his holdout. In pure dollar value (which is what players are going for, not AAV or cap hit), it was 7.5 x 6 for 45 million dollars, and this really isn't up for debate either.
You're right
Facts shouldn't be up for debate
And, factually, it was not a 7.5x6

Reactions: Dekes For Days

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You're right
Facts shouldn't be up for debate
And, factually, it was not a 7.5x6
Yeah cause Nylander didn't sign for a full 6 years. Too hard for you to understand or what? Suppose I should have edited my OP to say that it was more like 5.75 years instead.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It wasn't a 7.5x6, 7.5x5.75, or 7.5xanything
Take the sum total of his contract and he literally earns 7.5 million on average per year of that contract. Nobody's disputing that he earns different dollar values every year, it's a frontloaded contract.

And yes, he most certainly did earn 45 million over the course of that contract, despite what James said earlier.

edit: actually be be honest, i did misinterpret the figures of the first year, so the 41.something million did actually turn out correct in regards to pure money he took home.. I'll admit wrong on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So with the term calculated, it was still a bit less than Matthews. But it's whatever, I believe Matthews is a bit better of a player.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
looking at the Drai's contract Paul Marner and Mitch camp are already eyeing 15 AAV, and quite frankly IMO Marner is not even worth 9 AAV for the Leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: Captain34

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Drai's contract is a retirement contract... he is 37 at the end of it.

These long 8 year contracts when you are in your prime or just past it are not good because the cap is supposed to rise, they still likely age horribly.

The Matthews contract is great compared to something like this.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

These long 8 year contracts when you are in your prime or just past it are not good because the cap is supposed to rise, they still likely age horribly.

Matthews will be getting 16M x 8 on his next deal

Whether with us or outside, his next deal will be a retirement contract as well

Draisaitl will likely be worth it for next 4 years and then itll be a bad deal for years 5 to 8

He didnt take any discount thats fir sure. Mcdavid likely takes 16-17M x 8 and that will also be full value deal

Oilers will have 3-5 years to win a cup otherwise they will likely be a in a lengthy rebuild looming.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

4 years vs 8 years, let's wait until we see Matthews' next contract before we make comparisons. We may be talking $16/17m by then

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Matthews will be getting 16M x 8 on his next deal

Whether with us or outside, his next deal will be a retirement contract as well

Whichever GM signs that is an idiot, mind you he will only be a year older than Drai was signing this one... so there will definitely be some dumb GM that does.

I'd rather a player signed through their prime than 6 years after their prime, but that's just me.

4 years vs 8 years, let's wait until we see Matthews' next contract before we make comparisons. We may be talking $16/17m by then

We pretending that players are in their prime forever?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad