Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
btw: Toews at $7.25M is significantly a better deal for Avs Franchise/cap management versus what Buffalo's AAV of $11M was for Dahlin

You can't really compare the Colorado and Buffalo situations. Buffalo still needs to pay the "bad team tax" for their players. Their hope is that Power and Dahlin become so good that even those contracts are bargains at the end of it.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
You can't really compare the Colorado and Buffalo situations. Buffalo still needs to pay the "bad team tax" for their players. Their hope is that Power and Dahlin become so good that even those contracts are bargains at the end of it.
Nah, sure you can....cap management is cap management, good or bad.

A "bad team" tax approach will permanently keep you down or always just meh.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

Not necessarily true, especially if the large contracts that a team gives out in their infancy are to their young core pieces. Being disciplined elsewhere during that phase of team-building is what separates the teams who get out of the basement versus the ones who don't.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Cmon now. it has less to do with bad team tax and more to do with age of the players.

Buffalo is paying for 8 years of prime production

Colorado is paying 3 good years of and 4 years of varying degrees of likely decreasing productivity.

Two different situations create 2 different pay scales

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

I would say that it's not a fair comparison more because you're talking about a contract starting at age 30 for Toews vs. 24 and 21 for Dahlin and Power. Buffalo has Thompson and Cozens locked in for the next 7/8 years at a combined $14.25mm; they could afford to take the risk of a slight overpayment for their young core on the blueline IMO.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Cmon now. it has less to do with bad team tax and more to do with age of the players.

Buffalo is paying for 8 years of prime production

Colorado is paying 3 good years of and 4 years of varying degrees of likely decreasing productivity.

Two different situations create 2 different pay scales

This is now just a hypothetical, but I'm pretty sure that Toews could've received more than Owen Power's cap hit in UFA. That's kind of what I had meant. Players are able to work around a situation like Colorado's more than one like Buffalo's.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I
This is now just a hypothetical, but I'm pretty sure that Toews could've received more than Owen Power's cap hit in UFA. That's kind of what I had meant. Players are able to work around a situation like Colorado's more than one like Buffalo's.
or 29-31 year old players don’t like taking the injury risk and are willing to take a haircut to get their money now instead of risking it. Being 23, that risk isn’t as much for Dahlin so he could be patient until he gets what he wants.

Not nearly as strong defensively though.
According to the metrics, he is better

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I can see why coaches lose their mind on refs. Sabre gets his stick up but Fox grabs it and holds it close to his body and the call is a hook on the Sabre. Rangers score 20s later on the PP.
I had a guy water ski me from the blueline all the way to the crease on a breakaway and I got called for holding. As if I was trying to hold the guys stick there instead of scoring a goal. I thought the refs in CT were bad, holy shit these Florida refs are wild.

I

or 29-31 year old players don’t like taking the injury risk and are willing to take a haircut to get their money now instead of risking it. Being 23, that risk isn’t as much for Dahlin so he could be patient until he gets what he wants.

According to the metrics, he is better
Please elaborate on the metrics.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Toews and Slavin are both elite defensively. Slavin is better, but both are top 10 defensive players I think.

This bodes really well for Slavin's upcoming extension. Toews will be 30 when the extension begins, Slavin 31. Slavin's last two seasons he scored 27 and then 42 points. Toews got 50 and 57.

The Borg could feasibly get Slavin signed for LESS than $7.25M that Toews got. For one, a full extension takes Slavin from 31 to 38 or 39, a little older than Toews. He scores less. The defensive metrics are just not super well understood. And unlike Toews, Slavin hasn't been as underpaid on his last contract.

We'll all just have to wait and see.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Toews and Slavin are both elite defensively. Slavin is better, but both are top 10 defensive players I think.

This bodes really well for Slavin's upcoming extension. Toews will be 30 when the extension begins, Slavin 31. Slavin's last two seasons he scored 27 and then 42 points. Toews got 50 and 57.

The Borg could feasibly get Slavin signed for LESS than $7.25M that Toews got. For one, a full extension takes Slavin from 31 to 38 or 39, a little older than Toews. He scores less. The defensive metrics are just not super well understood. And unlike Toews, Slavin hasn't been as underpaid on his last contract.

We'll all just have to wait and see.

This contract should also be a wakeup call to Pesce.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Maybe. I still think the gap with Pesce is about term more than dollars.

According to all of the "insidurs" that was the same gap between the Avs and Toews camp this offseason and he eventually got 7 years at a fair AAV.

Who knows though... The Pesce situation is one that I'm truly just not sure about; is the Borg putting their foot down on 4 years, 5, etc?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not nearly as strong defensively though.
I’ve always been a bit torn on that particular topic but I think it’s fair to say Garland arrives good enough to play for us and under the tutelage of Rod could improve on what he’s been. He hustles which is the majority of what makes a good defensive forward.

Until we know what we’re offering the guy I don’t think it’s fair to push this on Pesce. Especially given our history of dealing with UFA’s.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I honestly think Slavin will sign something like 8 years $6.5M/yr and just not look back while continuing to state his case as one of the best players in franchise history
Yeah he doesn't seem to come off as the guy looking for the maximum amount of money possible but is willing to take a fair deal that helps the team.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Thinking someone is going to take a hometown discount when they finally hit ufa is problematic as a fan. Especially when his last contract was team friendly.

I personally don't ever expect hometown discounts. If you ever read my posts, I'm always happy when guys like Hamilton hit the proverbial jackpot. I'm pretty sure that whatever Slavin and the Canes decide on as an extension will be reasonably fair, just like the Aho extension was.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I buy the improved vibes around the Coyotes this year. They look like a real team. Surprisingly deep forward group as well.
They don’t look very dangerous on O. Very perimeter focused.

Zona dominated the first period but it has been all jersey since
Of course I type that and Zona ties it. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad