Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I can see why coaches lose their mind on refs. Sabre gets his stick up but Fox grabs it and holds it close to his body and the call is a hook on the Sabre. Rangers score 20s later on the PP.
And that is why rod’s call to review all penalties for 15-30 seconds is an amazing idea that will never be implemented

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I can see why coaches lose their mind on refs. Sabre gets his stick up but Fox grabs it and holds it close to his body and the call is a hook on the Sabre. Rangers score 20s later on the PP.

And on the other side of the spectrum, in the Philly/CBus game, Hathaway hits Werenski with a blatant knee-on-knee and the 5-minute major is reduced to 2 after review.

First game back for Werenski after missing 70 last season, and CBus already announced he won’t be returning to the game.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

These are the obscure stats i live for
It's not my intention for this to be critical of you or this particular post, but more as constructive guidance for our HF26 community in general.

When referencing something outside of the posts here, I'd like to see the context/content of the reference here. For instance, links to Twitter apparently now need to modified from "x.com/blah/blah" to "twitter.com/blah/blah" so we can see the nifty little tweet graphic we're all used to seeing. Links to The Athletic are great for subscribers, but the rest of us are in the dark. If no context/content is given, the entirety of the discussion is lost on us misers who don't pay for the subscription. I don't think referencing a snippet of the given article is out of bounds (in terms of "stealing" content from a for-pay publication).

I don't mean for there to be a ton of effort given to provide the info being referenced, so if it's a pain, don't sweat it.

'preciate yas

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
It's not my intention for this to be critical of you or this particular post, but more as constructive guidance for our HF26 community in general.

When referencing something outside of the posts here, I'd like to see the context/content of the reference here. For instance, links to Twitter apparently now need to modified from "x.com/blah/blah" to "twitter.com/blah/blah" so we can see the nifty little tweet graphic we're all used to seeing. Links to The Athletic are great for subscribers, but the rest of us are in the dark. If no context/content is given, the entirety of the discussion is lost on us misers who don't pay for the subscription. I don't think referencing a snippet of the given article is out of bounds (in terms of "stealing" content from a for-pay publication).

I don't mean for there to be a ton of effort given to provide the info being referenced, so if it's a pain, don't sweat it.

'preciate yas
basically a team that lost their opener by more than 4 has ever won the cup. Only 7 teams have won it after losing their opener by losing their opener by 3 goals, we were one of them. The premise of that segment was Edmonton getting spanked in their opener and what that might mean for their season.

just an absolute weird criteria for winning the cup

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

'preciate yas

Lighten Up, Francis – Meaning, Origin, Usage

Context:

Lighten up, Francis. - GIF - Imgur

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t really have any concerns about the conversation but any use of Stripes gets a like from me.

At times I’ve felt like more than a mild resemblance to the John Winger scene where he sagely stated “growth?!?…..talk about your potential for growth….I am the acorn that becomes the mighty oak!!”.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The crazy situation in Ottawa surrounding Shane Pinto and Mathieu Joseph intrigues me. Part of me wonders if the Canes are also looking into a potential Joseph trade/salary dump considering that Joseph's 2.9M salary fits rather neatly into our current cap space. Now, I know that they are going to be several cries from certain users that we need a top-6 goal-scorer, and I totally understand that perspective, but here's my argument that a Joseph salary dump might be the smarter play.

First of all, I'm not sure how likely it is that the Canes will be able to find a top-6 forward, with some term attached, at the deadline at the price point that they're willing to pay. Simultaneously, the Canes are frequent players in salary dumps, and there's a big potential one available in Ottawa and the Pinto situation. Joseph would be an interesting player for the Canes, as he could play the Martinook role in the medium-term, next to Jordan Staal, after Martinook gets his big bag in UFA next offseason.

Finally, one thing that the Canes can offer that a team like Philly will not is a late 1st that can be used to swap. In other words, perhaps the Canes can undercut the predatory market a bit by agreeing to a 1st round pick swap instead of a pick dump.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
gaining assets to get another 4LW is bad use of our cap space. Martinook isnt going anywhere, just like Fast didnt. doing that this early, which kills about all possibility of gaining even a cheap rental, like a zucker, or replacing an injury is just bad management. We need to get out of the gaining assets business and get into the winning business.

Overpaying for rentals is bad business but taking yourself out of the trade deadline is worse.

now if we want to take a massive risk and overpay for Pinto then be my guest. but big no on adding more bottom players.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
gaining assets to get another 4LW is bad use of our cap space. Martinook isnt going anywhere, just like Fast didnt. doing that this early, which kills about all possibility of gaining even a cheap rental, like a zucker, or replacing an injury is just bad management. We need to get out of the gaining assets business and get into the winning business.

Overpaying for rentals is bad business but taking yourself out of the trade deadline is worse.

now if we want to take a massive risk and overpay for Pinto then be my guest. but big no on adding more bottom players.

Canes never left the gaining assets business. It's part of what they do as a franchise. Gaining, say, Detroit's 1st rounder isn't a bad use of cap space; not in the slightest. I'm also skeptical that Martinook doesn't get egregiously overpaid in UFA with a rising cap.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Canes never left the gaining assets business. It's part of what they do as a franchise. Gaining, say, Detroit's 1st rounder isn't a bad use of cap space; not in the slightest.
gaining detroit's first (which will be middle of the road in a poor draft year) while burning our chance to improve the team is bad business. more than just slightly too.

if the big deals fall through at the deadline and we have a little extra space then gain assets. be my guest. But that better come after we gain a player or two to cover injury issues to get a potential goal scorer.

a contender burning their chance at 10 million in deadline cap space just to move up 10 spots in a bad draft. oof

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
gaining detroit's first (which will be middle of the road in a poor draft year) while burning our chance to improve the team is bad business. more than just slightly too.

if the big deals fall through at the deadline and we have a little extra space then gain assets. be my guest. But that better come after we gain a player or two to cover injury issues to get a potential goal scorer.

Is a true needle-mover like Pettersson likely to be available at the deadline? I don't see that as likely. Improving the first-rounder now, however, could have a tangible impact in getting a guy like him in the offseason.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The crazy situation in Ottawa surrounding Shane Pinto and Mathieu Joseph intrigues me. Part of me wonders if the Canes are also looking into a potential Joseph trade/salary dump considering that Joseph's 2.9M salary fits rather neatly into our current cap space. Now, I know that they are going to be several cries from certain users that we need a top-6 goal-scorer, and I totally understand that perspective, but here's my argument that a Joseph salary dump might be the smarter play.

First of all, I'm not sure how likely it is that the Canes will be able to find a top-6 forward, with some term attached, at the deadline at the price point that they're willing to pay. Simultaneously, the Canes are frequent players in salary dumps, and there's a big potential one available in Ottawa and the Pinto situation. Joseph would be an interesting player for the Canes, as he could play the Martinook role in the medium-term, next to Jordan Staal, after Martinook gets his big bag in UFA next offseason.

Finally, one thing that the Canes can offer that a team like Philly will not is a late 1st that can be used to swap. In other words, perhaps the Canes can undercut the predatory market a bit by agreeing to a 1st round pick swap instead of a pick dump.
Interesting points....Joseph certainly auditioned nicely the other night with great speed and effort.

Pinto is another guy I would be inclined to target but I gather he is Sens preferred priority.

If one of them are added, who are you removing from the lineup, Drury, Noesen?

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Wish him the best in his return:

Toews staying in Colorado for 7. Now lets see what the AAV is.

7.2 million per, if true, is a good deal.
From TSN:
"the deal carries an annual cap hit of $7.25 million, according to TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston.

Toews was playing out the last of a four-year, $16.4 million contract and was scheduled for unrestricted free agency next summer."

btw: Toews at $7.25M is significantly a better deal for Avs Franchise/cap management versus what Buffalo's AAV of $11M was for Dahlin

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Wish him the best in his return:

From TSN:
"the deal carries an annual cap hit of $7.25 million, according to TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston.

Toews was playing out the last of a four-year, $16.4 million contract and was scheduled for unrestricted free agency next summer."

btw: Toews at $7.25M is significantly a better deal for Avs Franchise/cap management versus what Buffalo's AAV of $11M was for Dahlin

This might bode well for Slavin's pending extension. Keeping the Slavin cap hit around $7.5-8.2M would be a win overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad