Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Puljujärvi is reported to be fit to play ahead of schedule around this Christmas after the big hip resurfacing operation in New York last summer.

He tells he has something cooking up in NHL. A couple of teams are interested and he's been talking with their doctors. As you recall he's an UFA nowadays due to no QO at his last expiration.
Good to hear and i hope he lands….Seems like a nice person.

its too bad he was injured while at the Canes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Trouba gets a $5k fine for taking a baseball swing and connecting with someone's head, but...

There’s a really big difference between the two plays, you have to be able to see that. I don’t defend Trouba and I’m not here…..it’s just that the Smith one is was way worse. Trouba‘s wasn’t a baseball swing in comparison to Smith’s. Connor Macleod would’ve been proud of Smith’s mighty cut.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Trouba gets a $5k fine for taking a baseball swing and connecting with someone's head, but...

When I had just seen the first replay of Trouba’s swing I agreed with you.

But the reverse angle showed the other player grabbing Trouba’s arm/stick. It makes the “swing” much less controlled or intentional than Smith’s here.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
There’s a really big difference between the two plays, you have to be able to see that. I don’t defend Trouba and I’m not here…..it’s just that the Smith one is was way worse. Trouba‘s wasn’t a baseball swing in comparison to Smith’s. Connor Macleod would’ve been proud of Smith’s mighty cut.
I agree with the above in comparison to Trouba (though he still should have got a game), but wtf was Konecny doing chasing a guy changing and skating on one leg to cross heck him no where near the play? What an absolute chickenshit move that was.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
English is sometimes difficult to express/understand.

He was playing injured while at Canes (which “was injured while at Canes”).

I see it now. I initially read it as the injury occurred while with the Canes.

Yeah, English can be all over the place, lol. My favorite is how, using accepted conventions, GHOTI can be pronounced as FISH.
GH as in "enough"
O as in "women"
TI as in "emotion"​

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I see it now. I initially read it as the injury occurred while with the Canes.

Yeah, English can be all over the place, lol. My favorite is how, using accepted conventions, GHOTI can be pronounced as FISH.
GH as in "enough"
O as in "women"
TI as in "emotion"​
This was a plot point in an episode of the 60s Batman show

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
A couple late thoughts on the recent stick incidents:

Trouba hooks Frederic's arm as Frederic tries to go around him. Frederic then probably grabs Trouba's stick (you can't see for sure on the replays). Seems like the natural reaction when someone is holding your stick is to try to pull the stick away in the opposite direction of the player holding it. That's not what Trouba did. It looks to me like Trouba meant to hit Frederic with his stick, perhaps thinking he could use the stick hold as an excuse for the swing. Kind of like when a basketball player holding the ball in both hands pivots and intentionally nails an opposing player in the head with his elbow, thinking he can get away with it because he has the ball.

Smith should have been suspended, you can't not punish a two handed swing at a player like that. But at most, 1 game more than whatever you give Konecny as I'd argue that Konecny's hit was actually more dangerous. It's hard not to view an egregious foul such as Smith's as unacceptable, but in this case I'm glad he did it. Maybe if more players reacted the way Smith did the league would finally crack down and eliminate dangerous actions such as Konecny's. If it wasn't the playoffs, I'd have taken a 2 game suspension if a bottom six Cane had wound up and taken a 2 handed swing on Matt Martin after he gave Staal a cross check in the back away and then knelt on him after he went down last year.

Note that my goal isn't retribution, it's to force the league and refs to control that shit so players won't get hurt, either from the initial foul or the response.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Hate to see it

IMG_2199.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: zman77

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah I hope this is the core that can finally get the attention of people in that city.

It's going to be an uphill battle. It's true that they're a good team this year, but they're still not coming close to filling their 5000 seat stadium.

I thought for sure the college atmosphere would have given them something to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad