Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love that so many people actually believe the Bedards Mom rumor.

That’s HF gold going viral.
It is almost as if draconian efforts to suppress the natural inclination of human beings to banter and speculate over controversy....just drives even more extreme speculation. Sometimes this board reminds me of Facebook circa November 2020.

Either way, on all these circumstances, the best bet is on a pecker being fished out of a pair of trousers in some way shape or form. In this instance I would have leaned more towards it being pressed up against the glass in a funny shape rather than being offered to another players mom, but at the end of the day...

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
"According to sources, an alcohol-fueled incident involving Perry was alleged to have occurred during an event that included corporate partners and team employees in attendance. It remains unclear what allegedly took place, who witnessed it, and who reported it to the team"

Okay, so Perry showed up drunk to a corporate event, peed in the punch bowl (or something like that)and refused to enter the Player's Help program, so they terminated his contract.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
"According to sources, an alcohol-fueled incident involving Perry was alleged to have occurred during an event that included corporate partners and team employees in attendance. It remains unclear what allegedly took place, who witnessed it, and who reported it to the team"

Okay, so Perry showed up drunk to a corporate event, peed in the punch bowl (or something like that)and refused to enter the Player's Help program, so they terminated his contract.
So in other words- "pecker against the glass" is back in the running?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
But did you know that when he coached the Flyers Bill Dineen was in a relationship with the mom of one of his players?
Well it isn’t to me that it’s impossible. It’s just that the first story anyone came up with and went viral with was that he’s with Bedard’s mom. The worst of us giggled at the thought of that being what’s going on, and it turned into a “true” rumor without a shred of any evidence in any shape, way or form. Straight from “there’s an issue” to “that’d be funny if he was bangin Bedards Mom” to “it’s the truth….i read it on the internet”…..to people fighting for the validity of it.

Probably just so they can blame Blackhawks of being a soulless organization despite not one soul involved with the previous issue being around the team anymore.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

With more and more players entering the program I wonder if it isn’t team inspired forcing of heading that direction whenever something pops up. Yes there was a problem but you can see we’re dealing with it….or they’re cut loose. Vrana comes to mind as someone who was maybe pushed into treatment whether he wanted it or not. He didn’t seem happy about his process but of course his desire to get on with his career played a part.

Girard anecdotally is not a surprise as someone who needed the program. They crafted a statement that takes the whole emphasis off the fact he’s drinking way too much and reframed it as mental illness/anxiety because the world is much more comfortable with that right now vs “simple” addiction. Of course most addiction has its root in some form of mental illness/anxiety/depression in the first place.

It’s fascinating to watch both the world in general and sports as well evolve in how this is all presented to us. Rooting for Girard, he’s always seemed like a good down to earth type. Everyone I’ve talked to that’s met him said he was really an honest and genuine human. They also said things that made it unsurprising that he’s in the program…but this is all anecdotal.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So to be clear here, organizational coverup of sexual assault among many other accusations, nothing the Blackhawks could do about it. Being drunk around Blackhawks corporate sponsors, and you're immediately terminated and black listed from the organization.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So to be clear here, organizational coverup of sexual assault among many other accusations, nothing the Blackhawks could do about it. Being drunk around Blackhawks corporate sponsors, and you're immediately terminated and black listed from the organization.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t most of the people involved in that coverup out of the organization or dead? And yeah, you’d want to believe those that took over afterwards would want to show everybody “Hey, those last people f***ed up bad. We’re not going to.” And this Perry incident is them showing that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I guess I still don’t understand your use of “coverup”? What did they cover up? They fired the guy and moved on. They didn’t bury paperwork or lie about it trying to make sure no one knew did they? Everyone just went their way, the worst thing being the player didn’t get the help he maybe needed.

They failed the player by not acting quickly, not taking it seriously, and not firing the guy the second they knew something might be up. Not supporting the player after because that wasn’t the culture then. Everyone associated with this is long gone. There’s no Montgomery Burns like character pulling the strings behind the scene here, making sure the “old boys club” keeps going in Chicago. I don’t get that we talk about them like they’re the same team they were then. They did what they had to do and purged. There’s no reason to think any old evil still lingers.

And of course they’re going to have a quick trigger finger about anything now. They assume someone who thinks the way you do will have them for lunch if they don’t.

Ps. If there was a cover up by all means explain it to me, I’ve just never associated one with that situation.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I do wonder where this is coming from with Darling. He was bought out for hockey performance, and he received the buyout agreed to by the NHLPA.

Is it that he wanted to go to a different rehab than the NHL and NHLPA recommended? Did he have to see specific counselors to remain in the NHL program?

Because beyond that, it seems like he was given the chance to perform again in 2018-19, got hurt to start the season (hence McBackup), went to Charlotte, played poorly, took a leave of absence in February 2019, and was traded to be bought out in July as a healthy player.

Either he was still in the player assistance program in July, or he wasn't. If he wasn't, he is eligible for the buyout.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Whatever Perry did....if it was something common to him I'm surprised that no one came out from his past and said, "I bet he got waived b/c x".

I'm not surprised the Blackhawks want to cover up whatever happened but if he had a history of hazing/being racist/using slurs/trying to get with reporters you'd think some other person from his past would be happy to offer him up on a platter to the media.

People that do dumb stuff w/o getting in trouble for that long usually develop patterns.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I guess I still don’t understand your use of “coverup”? What did they cover up? They fired the guy and moved on. They didn’t bury paperwork or lie about it trying to make sure no one knew did they? Everyone just went their way, the worst thing being the player didn’t get the help he maybe needed.

They failed the player by not acting quickly, not taking it seriously, and not firing the guy the second they knew something might be up. Not supporting the player after because that wasn’t the culture then. Everyone associated with this is long gone. There’s no Montgomery Burns like character pulling the strings behind the scene here, making sure the “old boys club” keeps going in Chicago. I don’t get that we talk about them like they’re the same team they were then. They did what they had to do and purged. There’s no reason to think any old evil still lingers.

And of course they’re going to have a quick trigger finger about anything now. They assume someone who thinks the way you do will have them for lunch if they don’t.

Ps. If there was a cover up by all means explain it to me, I’ve just never associated one with that situation.
Maybe not a true coverup situation but they did fail to report his actions and (if I recall correctly) when either he or his next employer came asking for a letter of recommendation or background info it wasn't brought up and he proceeded to assault another child at that job.

Reactions: geehaad

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I do wonder where this is coming from with Darling. He was bought out for hockey performance, and he received the buyout agreed to by the NHLPA.

Is it that he wanted to go to a different rehab than the NHL and NHLPA recommended? Did he have to see specific counselors to remain in the NHL program?

Because beyond that, it seems like he was given the chance to perform again in 2018-19, got hurt to start the season (hence McBackup), went to Charlotte, played poorly, took a leave of absence in February 2019, and was traded to be bought out in July as a healthy player.

Either he was still in the player assistance program in July, or he wasn't. If he wasn't, he is eligible for the buyout.
I mean, if he's saying it from the standpoint that they're going to take better care to make sure that a star player (ie: Price) gets better help in their recovery than your average journeyman... yeah, no shit. That's the real world, sucks to suck.

If he's saying it from the standpoint that he thought he could play through his issues but they were mandating that he go through the program? Yeah no, that one's entirely on you bud. Should be a completely "no shit" reaction that you go through the program or they can void your contract for cause.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe not a true coverup situation but they did fail to report his actions and (if I recall correctly) when either he or his next employer came asking for a letter of recommendation or background info it wasn't brought up and he proceeded to assault another child at that job.
Ok that’s what I’m interested in, who did they fail to report his actions to? You mean the law in general? That’s the only possibility I would think. The question then is protocol internally as they obviously had hr then. I’m sure they were advised one way or another based on how these situations are handled in the NHL, based on how much information they had and how verified it could be. I think it’s unlikely they actually made a point to not report vs following whatever their hr told them to do. How an hr dept would respond now is likely a completely different. This doesn’t excuse poor choices or behavior. Svechhammer isn’t the first person to use the word cover up and I’ve been struggling with it as when that all blew up I read through what was available. There are failings of course and people deserved punishment, I know I tend to be contrarian but in this case I’m just looking for clarity because the backlash is still overwhelming when you consider there’s nobody in that office related to the past.

As for future employment, that seems cut and dry more to me. You can’t tell people what happened, as far as I know in terms of labor laws and HR rules. The last time an old hockey friend made a questionable choice and went through finding a new job the rules were still at the point where a new employer could only call the old one and ask things like “are they rehireable?” They couldn’t specifically ask what they did to get fired. That at some point in recent years was standard to protect the employees rights to have employment. Messed up or not.

I’d want clarity on that angle as well, as it’s important when we’re divvying out the blame years later. Not telling anyone who called about his employment seems pretty standard due to these issues. That also would not be a cover up in any way. Also, any team could go through personal sources to find the scoop anecdotally when you talk the NHL I would think.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanesUltimate11

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Ok that’s what I’m interested in, who did they fail to report his actions to? You mean the law in general? That’s the only possibility I would think. The question then is protocol internally as they obviously had hr the. I’m sure they were advised one way or another based on how these situations are handled in the NHL, based on how much information they had and how verified it could be. I think it’s unlikely they actually made a point to not report vs following whatever their hr told them to do. How an hr dept would respond now is likely a completely different. This doesn’t excuse poor choices or behavior. Svechhammer isn’t the first person to use the word cover up and I’ve been struggling with it as when that all blew up I read through what was available. There are failings of course and people deserved punishment, I know I tend to be contrarian but in this case I’m just looking for clarity because the backlash is still overwhelming when you consider there’s nobody in that office related to the past.
Maybe I’m misremembering incidents but didn’t he go on to do it again with high school players? It’s gross how many of these there are. Had they reported it he wouldn’t have been able to do that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe I’m misremembering incidents but didn’t he go on to do it again with high school players? It’s gross how many of these there are. Had they reported it he wouldn’t have been able to do that.
There was something that happened further, but I also struggle to recall that actual event. If it was high schoolers obviously they’re minors and that would be the end for him. I’m thinking the question of adult on adult and consent played a big role with the Hawks issue. Using your position to convince someone to have sex with you is how you get fired, but I don’t know that you’re going to get arrested. I remember the accused was adamant that the Hawks players he was with were consenting of anything they did and of course played down the angle of how he offered something good. Also, if memory serves these were alcohol fueled party situations at least in the beginning which made it complicated also in the direction of consent.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Puljujärvi is reported to be fit to play ahead of schedule around this Christmas after the big hip resurfacing operation in New York last summer.

He tells he has something cooking up in NHL. A couple of teams are interested and he's been talking with their doctors. As you recall he's an UFA nowadays due to no QO at his last expiration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad