Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Still likely a drug/alcohol problem. Got shitfaced and did something the organization doesn’t want to be associated with.
Doing something, or doing someone?

I mean, everyone involved is always going to totally deny things, but the way this got around without seeming to originate with fans doing jokes or anything like that- it's certainly credible at this point. Drugs/alcohol alone certainly don't lead to insta-termination of a contract. Pretty sure the player has to have a chance to go through the player assistance program first.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Doing something, or doing someone?

I mean, everyone involved is always going to totally deny things, but the way this got around without seeming to originate with fans doing jokes or anything like that- it's certainly credible at this point. Drugs/alcohol alone certainly don't lead to insta-termination of a contract. Pretty sure the player has to have a chance to go through the player assistance program first.

The program is voluntary. Granted, it’s voluntary in the “Go do this or we terminate your contract” voluntary, but still. So if Perry doesn’t think his drug/alcohol problem is an issue, he‘s not going to enter the program.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The program is voluntary. Granted, it’s voluntary in the “Go do this or we terminate your contract” voluntary, but still. So if Perry doesn’t think his drug/alcohol problem is an issue, he‘s not going to enter the program.
You're free to believe it or not, but with the instant termination I'm leaning that it more likely happened than not.

I suspect this may be a Rod/Lindros and the chair kinda deal- it or something very close to it happened, everyone involved will deny but won't have any remotely credible alibi, and those who know will take the details to their grave.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You're free to believe it or not, but with the instant termination I'm leaning that it more likely happened than not.

I suspect this may be a Rod/Lindros and the chair kinda deal- it or something very close to it happened, everyone involved will deny but won't have any remotely credible alibi, and those who know will take the details to their grave.
Careful, Mister Mod!

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Could also be a hazing thing. Perry seems like the kind of person who would haze the rookie, and obviously, if the organization found out he was hazing their golden ticket, they wouldn’t be happy.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Probably just some shit talking that got out of hand, and Corey said "oh yeah well I f***ed your mom" and here we are.

The mom f***ing is entirely fan-based. Some guy on Twitter thought it was funny and photoshopped a text chain about it. Add in comments about “the mom’s trip” and “Perry being a father figure” and it’s easy to see why it spread like wildfire. I can’t believe people actually believe it though.

Based off Chicago’s comment about “a safe work environment”, I’m definitely leaning towards a hazing gone wrong.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It could be many many different things. And while it's likely a delicate situation with possible legal implications, the longer it goes specifically unaddressed, the more potentially unfounded rumors go around. That doesn't do anyone any favors. It could also be something adjacent to their previous issues, whether something like the Bedard thing (I doubt it), hazing as mentioned, or harassment of some kind. Even though they weren't punished as much as we might have liked, they may have been told they are on a very short leash for anything going forward and decided to get way ahead of whatever this is. But who the heck really knows at this point?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
And while it's likely a delicate situation with possible legal implications, the longer it goes specifically unaddressed, the more potentially unfounded rumors go around.
And the longer everyone refuses to offer any alternative explanation, the more likely it is that the original allegation is true.

"Just believe us when we say it didn't happen bro" does not work for the NHL anymore, especially not that team.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
People believe it because they want to believe it, because everyone hates Corey Perry's guts and want to believe the worst possible thing about him, and also, it's *hilarious*.
And let's be honest, how many things could Corey Perry have done where your response is "No, he didn't. Did he?" This rumor was one.

Most of the things Corey Perry could do to cause Chicago to terminate his contract seem like things you completely expect Corey Perry to do.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not that this will change anything (if anything, it'll add fuel to the fire), but the press conference said what Perry did had "nothing to do with other players or their families."

So if it's nothing with other players, I'm back on the drugs/alcohol theory.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Somewhat related to the current discussion.

I kinda get where he’s coming from on this that you don’t want to give your employers leverage over you that you don’t have to… but I also can’t decide if this is advice someone should listen to because of this guys history or advice someone probably ought not listen to because of this guys history

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
And the longer everyone refuses to offer any alternative explanation, the more likely it is that the original allegation is true.
As much as I would absolutely love to believe this, HR restrictions are very much a thing. There are any number of embarrassing things that could have happened that are both plausible and absolutely not to be shared in public under threat of lawsuit.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not that this will change anything (if anything, it'll add fuel to the fire), but the press conference said what Perry did had "nothing to do with other players or their families."

So if it's nothing with other players, I'm back on the drugs/alcohol theory.
I still wonder about harassment or misconduct, and if not with players, then with some other member of the organization or another org that they ran across in their travels. Something that would feel similar to their previous big, horrible incident and they'd want to bring the hammer down on quickly. Unless Perry just had his head in the sand about his issues and refused help, the drugs/alcohol angle just feels off to me short of them causing the other type of incident I'm thinking.

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If it’s not specifically involving another player, but it does involve the team, could it be staff related? Didn‘t a coach get let go for being inappropriate with the staff and the wording was very similar to what was said here?

But you’d think any workplace harassment would involve the legal system and not just NHL punishment

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad