Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Five minutes left in the game, Blues leading 5-1.

With the exception of faceoffs, Ryan O’Reilly’s stat line is ALL zeroes. I don’t mean just that he has a 0-0-0 (which he does). He also has zero penalties. Zero shots on goal. Zero shot attempts. Zero hits. Zero turnovers. Zero takeaways. Zero blocked shots.

This from a guy who is going to end up with 16+ minutes in a 5-1 win. I don’t understand how it’s even possible to be THAT invisible in a game. Like, just… do something.
There’s got to be something to admire about a player doing nothing (similar to finishing last at West Point) while his team is comfortably ahead. Maybe after the game he will drink a beer through his eye in a Gumby suit similar to the fan at Lambeau last night.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Interesting scenario last night, Makar is coming around his net and blows a tire, ref’s arm goes up for a penalty and signals trip.

Makar tells the ref it was all him on the fall, Barzal didn’t cause it. Ref skates to center ice and says “no penalty on the play.”
I read the main board thread and a lot of the comments are making Makar out to be some saint because of it. Not that it isnt a cool display of sportsmanship but Ovie did it last year or the year before and a few guys have waved off high sticking when they didnt get hit it just got close

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I read the main board thread and a lot of the comments are making Makar out to be some saint because of it. Not that it isnt a cool display of sportsmanship but Ovie did it last year or the year before and a few guys have waved off high sticking when they didnt get hit it just got close
I remember the Ovie one for sure … not sure I’ve ever seen a guy wave off high sticking, usually they act like there’s a sniper in the rafters. But, if you say it’s happened, I believe you.

It’s definitely rare tho, you have to admit.

Well … you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, I suppose. 😀

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There’s got to be something to admire about a player doing nothing (similar to finishing last at West Point) while his team is comfortably ahead. Maybe after the game he will drink a beer through his eye in a Gumby suit similar to the fan at Lambeau last night.

TNT really should do some hockey games in the same style as the ESPN Manning football broadcasts. But with Barkley and Biz and Snoop.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
FFyyAOpWQAAr-7M.jpg

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I remember the Ovie one for sure … not sure I’ve ever seen a guy wave off high sticking, usually they act like there’s a sniper in the rafters. But, if you say it’s happened, I believe you.

It’s definitely rare tho, you have to admit.

Well … you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, I suppose. 😀
I dont remember who it was that waved it off but Tripp talked about it in a game last year when one of our guys stick waved in front of someone elses face and they fell down like they were hit. It was most likely a reaction to seeing a stick wave millimeters from their nose but it clearly didnt hit them. Tripp then went on about a few guys how have made it clear to refs that they were not hit after a penalty was called.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Holy shit.

I was browsing through the Caps' capfriendly after seeing all their injuries. Mother of God, their 2023 offseason. At first I was like, OK, they have $22M in cap space. Lots of room, right?

Here is who they have signed beyond this year:

Forward
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Oshie
Mantha
Tom Wilson
Nic Dowd
Protas on his ELC

Defense
John Carlson

Goalie
Kuemper
Lindgren

They have one mother****ing defenseman signed for next year. One. They have to sign at least 4 forwards and at least 5 defenseman who take up no more than $22M. That's $2.44M per player.

If they want to keep the band together, here is who they have to re-sign, and my guess for how much they'd cost next year.

Forward
(Current $), Player - $My 22-23 guess
($3.5M) Lars Eller - $3M
($3.5M) Dylan Strome - $5.5M - scoring at a 58 point pace
($1.5M) Garnet Hathaway - $1M
($1.5M) Conor Sheary - $2.5M
Let's say they sign these guys, as those are the 4 guys I'd sign if I'm their armchair GM. I'm also ignoring Hagelin and Connor Brown as I think they'd be costlier than everyone other than DStrome.

Defense
($5.1M) Dmitry Orlov - $7M - he's their best defenseman. I could see him getting $7.5M possibly.
($2.2M) Nick Jensen - $3M
($0.95M) TVR - $1M
($0.8M) Erik Gustafsson $3M - dude's had a legit breakout and is on pace for 37 points
Some rando on a league minimum $0.8M

Let's rule out any big splashes in the UFA market. If they sign these players above to complete a league minimum roster of 12F, 6D, 2G, it puts them at $87.9M next year, and the cap is $83.5M.

Let's say you cut some costs here and there, like replacing Gustafsson and Sheary with league min players. You're still at $84.0M next year, and the cap is $83.5M.

I can't see the Capitals as contenders with this cap situation for next year. I could see some LTIR shenanigans in play for them, but even if they do that, it means a player like Backstrom or Oshie will be out, which means they'll have to ice inferior players. The easiest solution is to lose Dmitry Orlov and hope to moneypuck into a cheaper talent.

The moral of the story is to not ever have one player on D signed for next year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So Makar said he felt guilty afterwards for turning down the penalty and probably won't do that again.

“I don’t think he had a good angle on it, he just saw me fall,” Makar said after the Avalanche's 1-0 shootout win. “I would like to think most times I fall it’s usually because somebody trips me. That one I just lost an edge.”
Despite seemingly doing the right thing by asking the penalty to be overturned, the 24-year-old wasn't so sure about his decision after it set in.

"I felt a lot more guilty about doing that than probably if I would've said nothing," Makar said. "I don't know if it's something I'll do again."

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Holy shit.

I was browsing through the Caps' capfriendly after seeing all their injuries. Mother of God, their 2023 offseason. At first I was like, OK, they have $22M in cap space. Lots of room, right?

Here is who they have signed beyond this year:

Forward
Ovechkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Oshie
Mantha
Tom Wilson
Nic Dowd
Protas on his ELC

Defense
John Carlson

Goalie
Kuemper
Lindgren

They have one mother****ing defenseman signed for next year. One. They have to sign at least 4 forwards and at least 5 defenseman who take up no more than $22M. That's $2.44M per player.

If they want to keep the band together, here is who they have to re-sign, and my guess for how much they'd cost next year.

Forward
(Current $), Player - $My 22-23 guess
($3.5M) Lars Eller - $3M
($3.5M) Dylan Strome - $5.5M - scoring at a 58 point pace
($1.5M) Garnet Hathaway - $1M
($1.5M) Conor Sheary - $2.5M
Let's say they sign these guys, as those are the 4 guys I'd sign if I'm their armchair GM. I'm also ignoring Hagelin and Connor Brown as I think they'd be costlier than everyone other than DStrome.

Defense
($5.1M) Dmitry Orlov - $7M - he's their best defenseman. I could see him getting $7.5M possibly.
($2.2M) Nick Jensen - $3M
($0.95M) TVR - $1M
($0.8M) Erik Gustafsson $3M - dude's had a legit breakout and is on pace for 37 points
Some rando on a league minimum $0.8M

Let's rule out any big splashes in the UFA market. If they sign these players above to complete a league minimum roster of 12F, 6D, 2G, it puts them at $87.9M next year, and the cap is $83.5M.

Let's say you cut some costs here and there, like replacing Gustafsson and Sheary with league min players. You're still at $84.0M next year, and the cap is $83.5M.

I can't see the Capitals as contenders with this cap situation for next year. I could see some LTIR shenanigans in play for them, but even if they do that, it means a player like Backstrom or Oshie will be out, which means they'll have to ice inferior players. The easiest solution is to lose Dmitry Orlov and hope to moneypuck into a cheaper talent.

The moral of the story is to not ever have one player on D signed for next year.

Much like the Pens, the Caps will find a way to remain a playoff team until the big guns finally retire. They always freaking do. Both front offices are quite well-managed and they always find some way to plug the holes here and there.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That 08-09 team made the playoffs and had something like a +16 goal differential.

Those 5-1 losses must have been prior to Laviolette getting canned, or prior to the 9 game winning streak that occurred in March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad