Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Guys...........

IT HAS HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20221013_163219.jpg

20221013_163627.jpg

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I disagree. Rock is not dying at all. It may not be the same type of rock you listened too but there are many quality very popular rock bands out there not. Artic Monkeys and Imagine Dragons to name a few. They aren't quite my taste either but they are not pop
Saw Arcade Fire on SNL late last season and noted "They seem like someone I should listen to more." My wife's comment was "People whose taste I respect have tole me they listen to Arcade Fire."

Hard rock / grunge as we remember it is not the current style, but there is still some good stuff out there. And even the grunge of the 90s was not the heavy metal or speed metal of the 80s, or the rock of the 70s.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Meh, don't bother. You know those sad sacks are probably in the process of opening some place called Jobangles that specializes in fried chicken on a bagel
NGL, that sounds brilliant. Everything bagel, cream cheese, thin sliced strips of fried chicken, and some slaw to top it off. I think I'll be doing that, possibly as soon as tonight.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
NGL, that sounds brilliant. Everything bagel, cream cheese, thin sliced strips of fried chicken, and some slaw to top it off. I think I'll be doing that, possibly as soon as tonight.
I agree, might have to grab some supremes and then stop by the local bagel shop tomorrow

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I disagree. Rock is not dying at all. It may not be the same type of rock you listened too but there are many quality very popular rock bands out there not. Artic Monkeys and Imagine Dragons to name a few. They aren't quite my taste either but they are not pop
To be clear, I've listened to and liked softer rock music over the years and I don't exclusively care only for hard rock or something that sounds like from the 90s. You mentioned Arctic Monkeys and Imagine Dragons, and probably the latter is one of the more relevant newer rock bands when it comes to being very mainstream. I have enjoyed Radiohead (a band that started in the 2000s iirc and they've had several albums over the years), and they're a softer rock band with a different sound than the "goldie oldies."

Still, I think objectively rock just simply doesn't have the mainstream popularity anymore that it used to have when it comes to new music. Since we were talking about the 90s, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Pantera, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Green Day, and probably more that I'm forgetting, was truly a packed decade with huge rock star power that was very mainstream. The 2010s? I don't know if we can even point to half a dozen rock bands that started then that were very mainstream and popular. Also, to be clear, I like rock bands that started during that decade, but they are under the radar when it comes to being mainstream.

Thankfully some popular bands from the 2000s are still playing like Breaking Benjamin, and Chevelle though. Linkin Park would be one of them I'm sure, but Chester's sad death changed things.

Reactions: HisIceness

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To be clear, I've listened to and liked softer rock music over the years and I don't exclusively care only for hard rock or something that sounds like from the 90s. You mentioned Arctic Monkeys and Imagine Dragons, and probably the latter is one of the more relevant newer rock bands when it comes to being very mainstream. I have enjoyed Radiohead (a band that started in the 2000s iirc and they've had several albums over the years), and they're a softer rock band with a different sound than the "goldie oldies."

Still, I think objectively rock just simply doesn't have the mainstream popularity anymore that it used to have when it comes to new music. Since we were talking about the 90s, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Pantera, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Green Day, and probably more that I'm forgetting, was truly a packed decade with huge rock star power that was very mainstream. The 2010s? I don't know if we can even point to half a dozen rock bands that started then that were very mainstream and popular. Also, to be clear, I like rock bands that started during that decade, but they are under the radar when it comes to being mainstream.

Thankfully some popular bands from the 2000s are still playing like Breaking Benjamin, and Chevelle though. Linkin Park would be one of them I'm sure, but Chester's sad death changed things.
Radiohead was big by the early to mid 90’s.

I agree rock isn’t at the top of the current generations list but I do think it still exists and is a one hit wonder away from being back in.….the problem is what forum will be showcasing that hit? My honest take is that YouTube and streaming radio have changed music for better or worse. Anyone can get big for a couple of minutes if they make a good video, and now your device spits out a playlist that’s your own musical echo chamber so finding new music is an interesting thing. People don’t seem that motivated to do it, and the anyone can be big thing realization makes people no longer as ”worshippy” towards stars. Concerts don’t seem to be as big anymore and few artists can fill a stadium on their own. There is no more notable top ten or whatever as everyone listens to different sources so there’s nothing unifying like the radio or mtv once was. It’s amazing and the suck at the same time. The music industry is and has been turned on its ear and has lost its identity. We could be in a transition period to something amazing or music will stay pretty generic forever. Then again that’s how actual “alternative” music started. As an alternative to the mainstream. It was once called college radio or Indie….and it had nothing to do with the 90’s post grunge style that somehow ended up being called that….by executives for music services looking to create categories. Indie music has always been lurking in the background, you just have to keep looking for it.…and it has no particular style.

Record companies used to basically own radio stations and tell you what to like, now reminds me of my time in the late 80’s and early 90’s on a never ending search for better music….except the options for looking have greatly expanded.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
KING GIZZARD & THE LIZARD WIZARD!!!

But seriously, these guys are imo the best “rock” band out right now.

Reactions: DaveG and raynman

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Radiohead was big by the early to mid 90’s.
Oops. Maybe I assumed that because I was more familiar with their music from the 2000s onwards (I actually haven't listened much to them in a while). Add them to the list of big 90s bands I mentioned.
I agree rock isn’t at the top of the current generations list but I do think it still exists and is a one hit wonder away from being back in.….the problem is what forum will be showcasing that hit? My honest take is that YouTube and streaming radio have changed music for better or worse. Anyone can get big for a couple of minutes if they make a good video, and now your device spits out a playlist that’s your own musical echo chamber so finding new music is an interesting thing. People don’t seem that motivated to do it, and the anyone can be big thing realization makes people no longer as ”worshippy” towards stars. Concerts don’t seem to be as big anymore and few artists can fill a stadium on their own. There is no more notable top ten or whatever as everyone listens to different sources so there’s nothing unifying like the radio or mtv once was. It’s amazing and the suck at the same time. The music industry is and has been turned on its ear and has lost its identity. We could be in a transition period to something amazing or music will stay pretty generic forever. Then again that’s how actual “alternative” music started. As an alternative to the mainstream. It was once called college radio or Indie….and it had nothing to do with the 90’s post grunge style that somehow ended up being called that….by executives for music services looking to create categories. Indie music has always been lurking in the background, you just have to keep looking for it.…and it has no particular style.

Record companies used to basically own radio stations and tell you what to like, now reminds me of my time in the late 80’s and early 90’s on a never ending search for better music….except the options for looking have greatly expanded.
Great point about the musical echo chamber. Which is really part of a larger trend over the past 20+ years or so. Probably first with partisan news shows/talk shows, then social media, etc.

I'd like for rock to simply be one big hit away from changing the musical landscape, but I'm skeptical it will happen. Or at least, not anytime soon.

Reactions: bleedgreen

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Might have to change my dinner plans now.

View attachment 594031
Oh this so takes me back to my first visit to Queens for brunch with my late hubby's Jewish family. So many items that I had never sampled were served. All the while my Mom's voice was echoing in my head re: decorum and sampling everything and being well mannered.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Granted, it's against the lowly Habs, but Soderblom looks really good right now. If he pans out the way that he appears to be on track for, Soderblom could very well actually be a unicorn. Prospects like him are why many teams will swing and fail at drafting huge players in the late rounds multiple times even if the more productive players in those rounds are usually smaller, because once in a blue moon, someone like him actually becomes a living nightmare for opposing teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Granted, it's against the lowly Habs, but Soderblom looks really good right now. If he pans out the way that he appears to be on track for, Soderblom could very well actually be a unicorn. Prospects like him are why many teams will swing and fail at drafting huge players in the late rounds multiple times even if the more productive players in those rounds are usually smaller, because once in a blue moon, someone like him actually becomes a living nightmare for opposing teams.

I’ve read numerous places that he doesn’t use his size at all, though. Even wings fans say that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Rangers still look strong but are overpassing today.

Helly is standing on his head though. Winnipeg looks more responsible defensively so far. not as dangerous on offense.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I know it was only one game but Calgary looked pretty damn good against Colorado last night. They might end up being the team to beat in the West this season, even with loosing Tkachuk.

I think Colorado’s goaltending is going to be a bit of a question mark this season.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad