Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The 2021-2022 Carolina Hurricanes season. The year the team took a 1-year flier on a despicable defenseman who many wouldn’t touch with a 10-ft pole, and who some would argue shouldn’t even be in the league because of what he’s done.

And also the year the Canes signed Tony DeAngelo.
TDA was a choir boy LY compared to what is coming out re: Cole

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No Abby is an adult and responsible for her actions. The accusations against Cole are from kids and its sick.

I specifically used the term "somewhat". Of course Abby is an adult and responsible for her actions. But if you think that the same "grooming tactics" that some scumbag might use on a teenager won't work on some young adults, I don't think you're being realistic. Doesn't totally excuse Abby's behavior, but I see a difference between someone who is open to an extracurricular affair and someone who is targeted and pursued by someone who is skilled at "seduction" (or "grooming", dependant on whether aimed at an adult or a minor). You may not distinguish between the two cases, and if so, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

As an aside, I'm glad that most here are qualifying with the phrase "if true". In this day and age too many are too quick to convict at the drop of a hat. Having said that, if true . . .

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Majority of the time I'd be with you on something like that. After the Abby stuff that was basically publicly confirmed not sure I don't trust this one though.
Correct me if I’m wrong but all we’re going off of right now is some random Twitter account with no others posts or ways of verification. You or I or any other random dude could post that just based off of the publicity from the Abby stuff. I wouldn’t be surprised after the Abby stuff but until I see something a bit more concrete, not some random anonymous twitter post, I’m not gonna jump to conclusions.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Correct me if I’m wrong but all we’re going off of right now is some random Twitter account with no others posts or ways of verification. You or I or any other random dude could post that just based off of the publicity from the Abby stuff. I wouldn’t be surprised after the Abby stuff but until I see something a bit more concrete, not some random anonymous twitter post, I’m not gonna jump to conclusions.
That’s the thing. After the Cole-Abby thing, I’d assume the Coles are headed for divorce proceedings. What better way ….

It’s very healthy to take things from Twitter with a grain of salt. Proof? Take him to the gallows. Until then…qualify with “if true….”

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I specifically used the term "somewhat". Of course Abby is an adult and responsible for her actions. But if you think that the same "grooming tactics" that some scumbag might use on a teenager won't work on some young adults, I don't think you're being realistic. Doesn't totally excuse Abby's behavior, but I see a difference between someone who is open to an extracurricular affair and someone who is targeted and pursued by someone who is skilled at "seduction" (or "grooming", dependant on whether aimed at an adult or a minor). You may not distinguish between the two cases, and if so, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the matter.

As an aside, I'm glad that most here are qualifying with the phrase "if true". In this day and age too many are too quick to convict at the drop of a hat. Having said that, if true . . .

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Abby’s fiancé’s tweets/instagram/whatever imply that this wasn’t actually the first/only incident wrt Abby?

If so, probably more reason to think that this is just a totally different thing. One thing if it’s what you’re saying, another thing if it’s serial on Abby’s end as well.

Idk - let’s just wait for more stuff to come out.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Abby’s fiancé’s tweets/instagram/whatever imply that this wasn’t actually the first/only incident wrt Abby?

If so, probably more reason to think that this is just a totally different thing. One thing if it’s what you’re saying, another thing if it’s serial on Abby’s end as well.

I don't recall that, but that doesn't mean anything, I could have missed it. Note that I'm not suggesting any particular narrative, just putting a possibility out there in light of the recent developments. I agree that it's all speculation at this point.

Last edited:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Toronto let it be known they are willing to trade Wayne Simmons with the return not being important. Must do right by player

Reactions: SoupNazi

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Yeah, there were also credible rumblings that she was bonking Svech and perhaps other players as well. We'll never know all of it, nor should we, but I don't think it's reasonable to play her as a victim of grooming and manipulation here. I think she was just horny and stupid, and Cole approaching her provided an outlet.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Gauthier waived by the Rangers. Now that the Rangers only have 1 4th line now, no room for Gauthier.
Leivo and McKeown on waivers too.

Mahura from Anaheim would be a good LHD grab for us as a 8th D (if we could trade Bear). Unfortunately Mahura will clear waivers before that becomes an option.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
That Gauthier for Keane trade really knocked the socks off of both markets, eh?

tco_-_2021-11-05T095613.835.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So with word breaking over the weekend that the Habs tried to trade KK to us for Jarvis, which on its own head is hilariously bad, the thing that cracks me up the most is that there are still people in the media saying that the Canes made a retaliatory offer sheet and that the Habs still did well by doing what they did, and this showed that KK was not in their long term plan.

Bitch, they tried to have us trade Jarvis for him, that's the kind of offer that makes people walk away, so yeah, they either seriously overvalued KK or were pricing him prohibitively high. That offer sheet completely f***ed their plans, and its still tasty to this day. And that $4.8m AAV is going to look good this year, and stupidly cheap once the cap goes up.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So with word breaking over the weekend that the Habs tried to trade KK to us for Jarvis, which on its own head is hilariously bad, the thing that cracks me up the most is that there are still people in the media saying that the Canes made a retaliatory offer sheet and that the Habs still did well by doing what they did, and this showed that KK was not in their long term plan.

Bitch, they tried to have us trade Jarvis for him, that's the kind of offer that makes people walk away, so yeah, they either seriously overvalued KK or were pricing him prohibitively high. That offer sheet completely f***ed their plans, and its still tasty to this day. And that $4.8m AAV is going to look good this year, and stupidly cheap once the cap goes up.
the article said a Lebrun interview with Waddell was coming out last Saturday on the Athletic. I havent seen it show up yet.

Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's the truth that the fallout of one player's sick and, from what it sounds like, criminal behavior will lead to opportunities for other people like Haydn Fleury that, by all accounts, do the right thing in our society. I don't think that there's anything wrong about mentioning that fact. I also mention Tampa Bay because I truly don't think that they signed that guy with any knowledge of this. They probably knew about Abby Labar, but that was different because it was an adult-to-adult situation. This, OTOH, will deservedly kick him out of the league if it's corroborated.
Serious question....does a suspended players salary count against the cap during suspension?
Yeah, there were also credible rumblings that she was bonking Svech and perhaps other players as well. We'll never know all of it, nor should we, but I don't think it's reasonable to play her as a victim of grooming and manipulation here. I think she was just horny and stupid, and Cole approaching her provided an outlet.
I'm not sure what a "credible rumbling" is. I did hear unsubstantiated rumors about Abby and Svech and there was the one photo with his arm around her shoulder, but I thought it was all just rank speculation.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Serious question....does a suspended players salary count against the cap during suspension?

I'm not sure what a "credible rumbling" is. I did hear unsubstantiated rumors about Abby and Svech and there was the one photo with his arm around her shoulder, but I thought it was all just rank speculation.
And what of it if she was having relations with Svech? Outside of the fact she was engaged, I really just don't see the scandal that people were trying to make it out to be. Every company I've ever worked for has had co-workers who met on the job and eventually got married, and as long as it didn't impact their work, nobody gave a shit and were actively happy for them.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
And what of it if she was having relations with Svech? Outside of the fact she was engaged, I really just don't see the scandal that people were trying to make it out to be. Every company I've ever worked for has had co-workers who met on the job and eventually got married, and as long as it didn't impact their work, nobody gave a shit and were actively happy for them.

The point I was trying to make is that if it's true that she did, it's probably not appropriate framing of her "relationship" with Ian Cole to speculate that she was "groomed" in a similar way, when we have proof of concept elsewhere that it doesn't take a seducer to screw up her engagement.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad