Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I realize they are RHD and he is a LHD, but depending on how serious Pesce's "precaution" and Coghlan's injuries are, @TheRillestPaulFenton 's desire to go after Hague might be something the Canes pursue (even if I disagree with his proposed price). There's not much else out there right now.

Not based off last night, but Bear and Chatfield don't give me a lot of confidence, even as a bottom pairing. As @Big Daddy Cane mentioned, there will be injuries.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
We’re doomed.

32. This time next year, the Carolina Hurricanes will be unfurling the franchise’s second Stanley Cup banner. Perhaps the most balanced and consistent team in hockey, the Canes will knock off the Flames, as Rod Brind’Amour will become the first since Lester Patrick in 1928 to coach and captain the same franchise to a Stanley Cup.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We’re doomed.

32. This time next year, the Carolina Hurricanes will be unfurling the franchise’s second Stanley Cup banner. Perhaps the most balanced and consistent team in hockey, the Canes will knock off the Flames, as Rod Brind’Amour will become the first since Lester Patrick in 1928 to coach and captain the same franchise to a Stanley Cup.
He also said this:

4. Four straight trips to Final? Anything is possible for Tampa Bay Lightning, who will win the Atlantic Division. Some are predicting a drop-off. I don’t see it, not with a Core Four that includes Andrei Vasilevskiy, Victor Hedman, Brayden Point and Nikita Kucherov.

The prediction must just be the Atlantic Division title, otherwise he is going to be wrong with one of the two predictions.

Reactions: DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
These teams have years of film on Bear. Last nights outing, in a preseason game, with a bunch of AHLers wasn’t going to change his value whatsoever (positively or negatively). My view weeks ago was a mid round pick at best. I never bought the idea of a 2nd round pick. I’ll be surprised and happy if that happened, but I don’t expect it.
Oh, I totally agree with this. I likely miscommunicated my point, which was that he didn't help his value and likely confirmed what a lot of teams already knew. Perhaps there were others that saw a kid, with his last pre-season game, expecting something, and they got is. That something was a great, big turd.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Ferland is the one guy I wish stayed and obviously remained healthy. Poor guy wrecked himself with all the hits but he legitimately was a guy teams feared. Tough SOB who was a great fighter. Team misses having a player that plays with his type of edge.
He had a great bone crushing hit that knocked a Bruin out at a game I went to here in Boston. Man he was so good when he was healthy, such a huge presence physically who could offer top 6 skill as well. Such a shame and I feel terrible for the guy as the concussions must have really affected his life.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
He had a great bone crushing hit that knocked a Bruin out at a game I went to here in Boston. Man he was so good when he was healthy, such a huge presence physically who could offer top 6 skill as well. Such a shame and I feel terrible for the guy as the concussions must have really affected his life.
This one on Johansson?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Because the Stars cant manage their cap position they sign Robertson to a 4 year deal instead of being able to afford 8. that is rough.

Shane Wright is likely the next rushed player to the nhl and will likely struggle.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Because the Stars cant manage their cap position they sign Robertson to a 4 year deal instead of being able to afford 8. that is rough.

Shane Wright is likely the next rushed player to the nhl and will likely struggle.
Apparently it leaves Robertson with 1 more year of RFA so it’s not the nightmare scenario. And it should clear Benn, but not Seguin.

But it says even more about Carolina’s move to sign Svech for 8 years at $7.75M when Robertson just signed for $7.75M and bought out 0 UFA years.

This is also when I point out this could have been avoided if Dallas had just let Carolina have Mason Marchment.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
for those that know how it works, does it mean that Robertson can accept a 1 year qualifying offer after this deal is up (since he's still an RFA) and then become a UFA a year later if he so chooses? If so, what would his qualifying offer be?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
for those that know how it works, does it mean that Robertson can accept a 1 year qualifying offer after this deal is up (since he's still an RFA) and then become a UFA a year later if he so chooses? If so, what would his qualifying offer be?
Since his salary is over $1 million/yr his QO should be 100% of his previous contract.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Another team that is going to struggle with cap next year is Ottawa. When Debrincat gets, what I expect to be, a 8 x 8.75mil to 9.25mil extension, Ottawa will have around 13.5 million dollars to build to add at least 3 defenders, re-sign Pinto, add at least 3 roster forwards, and get a good starting goalie. Even if they pay someone to take on Zaitsev, that is still a tall order with 18 million, especially knowing Zub and a starting goalie will eat at least half of that. Pinto is likely to eat 25% on a 2 year bridge.

That 5 million dead money stings.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The QO is 9.3 million

How does that work? I thought I understood the structure of qualifying offers but it would appear I’m wrong. The table below is from the nhl themselves.

Player's SalaryQualifying Offer
$660,000 or lessNo less than 110% of player's salary
$660,001 -$952,380105% of player's salary
$952,381-$999,999$1 million in salary
$1 million or more100% of player's salary

Reactions: WreckingCrew

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
How does that work? I thought I understood the structure of qualifying offers but it would appear I’m wrong. The table below is from the nhl themselves.

Player's SalaryQualifying Offer
$660,000 or lessNo less than 110% of player's salary
$660,001 -$952,380105% of player's salary
$952,381-$999,999$1 million in salary
$1 million or more100% of player's salary

His actual salary the last season is $9.3m. It's based on that and not AAV if I'm not mistaken.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Another team that is going to struggle with cap next year is Ottawa. When Debrincat gets, what I expect to be, a 8 x 8.75mil to 9.25mil extension, Ottawa will have around 13.5 million dollars to build to add at least 3 defenders, re-sign Pinto, add at least 3 roster forwards, and get a good starting goalie. Even if they pay someone to take on Zaitsev, that is still a tall order with 18 million, especially knowing Zub and a starting goalie will eat at least half of that. Pinto is likely to eat 25% on a 2 year bridge.

That 5 million dead money stings.

What helps Ottawa's cap is that they have three defensemen that were drafted in the first round that have yet to play NHL minutes in Sanderson, Bernard-Docker, and Thomson. They almost certainly will be playing next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad