Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Holy cow, the Isles just had a 4 on 3 PP in OT that was actually worse than any Canes 4 on 3 I've ever seen. Nothing but shots wide other than one weak shot into the pad and couldn't score against something called Mandolese playing in net. Hamonic played the final 3:15 of OT and Stutzle close to the same. Going to a shootout.

Isles lost in the shootout. Looks like they're still kinda meh even after the big trade. Shocking.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Watching TB vs COL. The amount of sheer talent on these two teams is astonishing.

I know McDavid’s offensive numbers are totally out of this world but if I could pick any player to build a team around it would be pretty damn hard not to start with Nathan MacKinnon.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Watching TB vs COL. The amount of sheer talent on these two teams is astonishing.

I know McDavid’s offensive numbers are totally out of this world but if I could pick any player to build a team around it would be pretty damn hard not to start with Nathan MacKinnon.
Game has gotten really sloppy defensively and 3 goals scored in short order. A muffing shot from Cirelli and 2 4th liners score. Fun game.

that play in the 1st when Mackinnon scored...he just danced through a couple guys before losing the puck. impressive and it ended up back on his stick for a tap-in.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm going to get slammed for this.

The Canes aren't a perfect team by any stretch. We struggle to finish and have a pretty lame powerplay for where we are in the standings. We don't have an elite goalie.

At the same time, we generally win games by shutting out the opposition and limiting high danger shots. From the admittedly little I watch and read around the league, I think our scheme and roster is top to bottom perhaps the strongest in the league. We almost never win games with a goalie bailing out the D. We play suffocating, tight defensive hockey with minimal gaps and with the best forechecking in the NHL.

It's the dog days of the season so I don't expect the boys to be as good as we were, for instance, against Boston on their back-to-back, every game. But we're undeniably in a good spot.

I can't take the bias out of me, but I dare take our roster over just about any other in the league for this playoffs. (That said, the East is so good I'd say that even the best team has a roughly 1/4 chance at making it through).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

The Canes aren't a perfect team by any stretch. We struggle to finish and have a pretty lame powerplay for where we are in the standings. We don't have an elite goalie.

At the same time, we generally win games by shutting out the opposition and limiting high danger shots. From the admittedly little I watch and read around the league, I think our scheme and roster is top to bottom perhaps the strongest in the league. We almost never win games with a goalie bailing out the D. We play suffocating, tight defensive hockey with minimal gaps and with the best forechecking in the NHL.

It's the dog days of the season so I don't expect the boys to be as good as we were, for instance, against Boston on their back-to-back, every game. But we're undeniably in a good spot.

I can't take the bias out of me, but I dare take our roster over just about any other in the league for this playoffs. (That said, the East is so good I'd say that even the best team has a roughly 1/4 chance at making it through).
everyone struggles to beat a goalie bailing out their defense. That is why finding that top 5 goalie is so important to win. Or get lucky and have a goalie play like one in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

I agree, when we play a pretty bad game against a playoff team on the road and get a regulation win, thats pretty impressive.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Diamond sports/Bally missed their $140m payment today. They have 30 days to address but I suspect Banx is inevitable:

It sounds like this is going to be tied up in bankruptcy for a while. And as long as Bally's keeps broadcasting the games, they can likely hold on the rights payments until the bankruptcy restructuring is completed.

What does this mean for the NHL (and MLB)?

midnight-staley-pain.gif

On the plus side, the Business of Hockey forum has a popular topic that isn't about the Coyotes!

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Watching Leafs vs. Hawks. Man, I know he hasn't been great but I feel bad for Mrazek. Just no defense in front of him.
He got saved by a close offside for one goal then Matthews just scored on another close but good goal. Kane stopped playing defense too so yeah, while Mrazek's not good anymore the team in front of him as just as bad.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Bally's just threw a wrench into multiple leagues' financials. Practically every sport league other than the NFL had teams with some sort of contract with them. Get ready for multiple owners of teams contracted with them to cry poor.
As a Cleveland Guardians fan, I can already hear it from Dolan.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad