Around the League 36-But Who's Counting...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like the idea of like a tic-tac-toe board net...Canes basically get the middle as a free space!!

St Louis Shooting Stars was kinda fun and unique.

I did like Florida's surf-board shooting.

How about fastest skaters but they set up a "course", rather than circle lap?

Hardest hitter?

With a rule that your teammate has to be the one taking the hit.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I like the idea of like a tic-tac-toe board net...Canes basically get the middle as a free space!!

St Louis Shooting Stars was kinda fun and unique.

I did like Florida's surf-board shooting.

How about fastest skaters but they set up a "course", rather than circle lap?

Hardest hitter?
Hardest hitter?

Put Trouba in the middle of the ice and have selected players take runs at him. Similar to demolition derby whoever is still standing, wins.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
IDK why this posted just a letter P initially, I wasn’t trying to post anything. Since it did, I’ll just say that I disagree with the above statement

Yeah, I don't get the "ECF or Bust" or "Cup or Bust" mentality. It's the playoffs. Anything could happen. Moreover, only one team wins the Cup on any given year. Which is, what, a 3.1% chance, if everything is considered equal? And even if we take only the playoff teams, it's 6.2%

Saying that not hitting a 6.2% is a failure of a season seems a bit extreme.

Even if we don't consider things equal (which would be a mistake, given that we've seen 8th seed teams get to the Conference Finals and win the Cup), we're still probably looking at less than a 10% chance.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I don't get the "ECF or Bust" or "Cup or Bust" mentality. It's the playoffs. Anything could happen. Moreover, only one team wins the Cup on any given year. Which is, what, a 3.1% chance, if everything is considered equal? And even if we take only the playoff teams, it's 6.2%

Saying that not hitting a 6.2% is a failure of a season seems a bit extreme.

Even if we don't consider things equal (which would be a mistake, given that we've seen 8th seed teams get to the Conference Finals and win the Cup), we're still probably looking at less than a 10% chance.
I am not sure if you are referencing what I said last night, but I will reiterate what I said on the Roster Building thread. I don't think its an ECF or Bust year, but given the situation we have with $10m+ in cap space, a boatload of prospects, and sitting as the 2nd team in the standings, I do think its a failure if a big trade isn't made and we fail to advance to the ECF in the playoffs. This is the kind of year where you can push your chips into the center while not damaging the current core and if we don't leverage it to improve the team and still fail to advance far in the playoffs, I have a feeling we'll look back on this entire year as a missed opportunity.

If we do make the move, and its for someone with term that does move the needle in bringing in the kind of shooting threat we have been clamoring for, then it takes the pressure off a playoff run because we might have solved a long term problem which gives us a better chance in the future. But without the big move, we better win this year, or fans will get restless.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just in the East alone, you’ve got Boston, Carolina, the Devils, the Rangers, and Tampa Bay as Cup contenders. Toronto could also be one, if you believe they could break their first round curse. In the West, it’s wide open, with only Dallas having a small lead over 5 other teams.

So we’re looking at 6-12 teams that could be considered Cup contenders, giving us somewhere between 8-16% chance of winning the Cup this year. Calling a season a failure off those numbers doesn’t make sense.

And that’s ignoring the possibility that Washington, Pittsburgh, the Islanders or Buffalo surprise in the playoffs, which is a very real possibility.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Just in the East alone, you’ve got Boston, Carolina, the Devils, the Rangers, and Tampa Bay as Cup contenders. Toronto could also be one, if you believe they could break their first round curse. In the West, it’s wide open, with only Dallas having a small lead over 5 other teams.

So we’re looking at 6-12 teams that could be considered Cup contenders, giving us somewhere between 8-16% chance of winning the Cup this year. Calling a season a failure off those numbers doesn’t make sense.

And that’s ignoring the possibility that Washington, Pittsburgh, the Islanders or Buffalo surprise in the playoffs, which is a very real possibility.
And if they don't make moves to improve the current roster to give us the best chances of coming out of and rising above that glut, they'll feel the heat if they don't.

Just the nature of the game

Reactions: Stickpucker

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Seravalli reporting Rags get Tarasenko. Sucks as I like him.
I have always liked him too and he was a beast last year but he's having the injury issues again and not playing particularly great this year. Not too worried about the Rags getting him, especially if they gave up one of their young kids who still have potential.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad