Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I mean, what did the NHL expect? If they really thought taxpayers in the sunbelt would move heaven and earth for a hockey team, they are more delusional than I thought. If I was a taxpayer there, I would vote against it too. The past 27 years, the team has had more questions than success.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Well. Arizona may now finally be dead in the water. Move them to Houston or SLC and lets actually run that org like a legit sports franchise.
SLC would be awesome, already has the arena and great TV market, but it's a small market and would be a tough UFA draw (look at Barkley's comments during the NBA All Star game lol)

Reactions: Bront

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sucks for the Coyotes fans. Have to feel for the ones who actually show up and root for that team.

I’m not going to assume anything about relocation just yet. Someone who is as terrible at his job as Bettman is and has that ego might just keep this going. It does seem different though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Half of me thinks this backs Bettman into a corner, and that he ends up finally allowing the team to move after running out of options. The other half thinks Bettman is a wounded animal now and will die fighting to keep hockey in the desert even if it means playing at ASU until the sun burns out.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have defended the Coyotes on here over the years, but for the citizens to vote it down is pretty telling IMHO. The entire project was going to bring in like a thousand new jobs or something if I remember correctly and people still were not having none of that. But you can't argue against democracy and the majority don't really care. That means to me give them to a city that will care and will value them more than a very niche part of the population.

Half of me thinks this backs Bettman into a corner, and that he ends up finally allowing the team to move after running out of options. The other half thinks Bettman is a wounded animal now and will die fighting to keep hockey in the desert even if it means playing at ASU until the sun burns out.
Coyotes are absolutely a hill the NHL will die on, but it might have gotten to the point that the NHL's "army" doesn't really want to fight anymore even if the Generals are doing their best to try and win.

Those are pretty good numbers for junior hockey…

A Western team ain't going to the East. Quebec City's best bet is probably Florida Panthers, but they got stable ownership, which means that Columbus might be the next option, but I think the owner is very happy with the team (not the results obviously).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I really feel bad for the actual thousands of real hockey fans in the desert. The Coyotes leaving them, will hurt them every bit as much as it hurt folks in Quebec when we were gifted the Avalanche.

What doesn't make sense to me, is how long Gary insisted on trying to make it work in Arizona. The league treats the fly over states as exactly that. They do a great job with the original 6 (Chicago) a bit better with the older team (St. Louis) but they care f*** all for the rest of the central. They constantly allow their TV partners to not air the complete games for teams outside of the eastern conference by allowing double headers without adequate time for to account for OT. So why Arizona? Why try so hard to make it work? If Arizona had succeeded wildly, it would be a terribly situation for the league with a great team in a terrible hockey TV market and a team that in fairness, would probably sell out most nights if they were true contenders. But they've never sold the team to an owner with the financial wherewithal to actually do what needs to be done...build his own f***ing arena and build a contender willing to spend to the cap ceiling when an arena was in hand. Yes, Meruelo is a billionaire but I'm not sure he's got the assets or clout available to finance a deal on his own, he's got a net worth of ~2B according to Forbes. I'm not sure if the league will allow him to move the franchise, or if they will force him to sell it to someone who can afford their own deal and allow them to move it. The team is only valued at 450M by Forbes. (Note to self, there are some business pages that you need to remember have some really interesting information on NHL teams, Forbes happens to be one, I need to frequent more often.)

Yotes.png

Not exactly what I would call a healthy organization to be buying. A real owner should understand that drastic changes are needed. My final evaluation on why it's taken so long, is because the other owners told Gary they liked having a safety valve to stick bad contracts on and the weak ass owners the Yotes have had have gone along with it.

Final thought, as much as we joke, we really should not blame the community. They did a lot better when they first arrived and had a much better TV draw back then. They made the playoffs the first four seasons had a decent team with Roenick, Amonte and Tkachuk. I remember them adopting Winnipegs whiteout as a tribute those four springs and it was actually rocking in the desert during the playoffs. You can't blame the people of Arizona for the failures the organization had after that welcoming. You can blame location they chose to place their arena (Glendale), similar to how Florida is being killed in the regular season by being so far away from Miami/South Beach. But don't crap on the fans. They have a lot of die hards that love that team like we love ours and today's news is going to be what feels like a dagger in the back, because I can't see a path forward that involved an arena in Arizona. They only path I think of that could be feasible probably was already tried. Was there an attempt to convert Footprint arena into dual use with an ice-hockey rink added to the basketball court? That location could work, and that cost might be something an owner could afford to put together that would, I hope, cost considerably less than a new arena.

Last edited:

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Poor Quebec. Bettman is going to have to die before they can get a team again. I don’t see SLC as a good destination. I’ve heard talk of Houston and Kansas City before… Why not Milwaukee? It’s snowy and they live beer. They have the Packers and The Brewers.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Sucks for the Coyotes fans. Have to feel for the ones who actually show up and root for that team.

I’m not going to assume anything about relocation just yet. Someone who is as terrible at his job as Bettman is and has that ego might just keep this going. It does seem different though.
I’m sure all 5 of them will be fine heading to QT in there and 1 flip flops, baggy phx suns gym shorts, grey tanks and flat brim cardinals hats to get their 50 oz diet cokes instead of trying to figure out who plays on there team besides Keller.

About god dam time. Phoenix is such an armpit and waste of time for hockey.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sucks for the Coyotes fans, but it’s better for the league that this shitshow is soon over. Houston would be great.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Look for the league to somehow still keep them in Arizona. They have refused to let this franchise go somewhere where it can succeed.

Reactions: Gruyeriev

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The state has spoken. They simply do not want an NHL team. Never did. It was a doomed project from the beginning. Let's hope the NHL will put them out of their misery, but I'm not counting on it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The state has spoken. They simply do not want an NHL team. Never did. It was a doomed project from the beginning. Let's hope the NHL will put them out of their misery, but I'm not counting on it.
Not the first by any means, nor will it be the last.

Are you suggesting Quebec never wanted a franchise? How about Winnipeg? Or Hartford? Well, maybe you've got a point with Hartford but still. Don't make this about the fans of the Coyotes or the citizens of Arizona. They never should have been asked to bail out this organization, AGAIN! The NHL did everything they could to ensure the Coyotes were a bottom dweller. They refused to ever step in when needed and allowed the market value to absolute tank to the point they had to eventually take over. They then refused to sell the team to a quality owner with the financial backing to actually stabilize and keep the team in Arizona but allow them say a 5-10 year that if it's not working they can then relocate. They instead chose a budget billionaire, with absolutely no means to finance a deal on his own. This is on the league, not the state.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Someone on the main board wondered whether winning the draft lottery (ie Bedard) might have influenced the vote. That's too much to put on a 17-18 year old even if something similar might have happened with Crosby.

But here's another way of looking at it. To what degree did the tanking and/or repetitive losing influence the vote? If this was a contending team, would it have made a difference?

It's interesting how tanking might make sense in a vacuum but there might be bigger consequences outside of that vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad