Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Patrick Roy is also box office and should be hired for that alone.
He understands that hockey at the professional level is entertainment, so he puts on a show. His knowledge and passion for the game is infectious. When he talks, he wants you to love hockey as much as he does. I've said it several times, the NHL is better when Patrick Roy is a part of it. He's an interesting individual in a profession full of cardboard cutouts.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Roy's team in junior is having a whole lot of success again this year. If he has a 2nd chance in the NHL I don't think he'll be the same as he was the first time.

Personally I'd rather see him in Ottawa than NY. I think he'd be a good fit for the Sens.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Looking back on it, is Taylor vs Tyler the single most overhyped element we've gotten from the NHL draft? It's pretty crazy how both were considered franchise-changing players and both have fallen off a cliff. Some solid seasons in there by both of them no doubt about that, but both Hall and Seguin have got to have some of the most inconsistent careers for extremely hyped prospects I've seen.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Looking back on it, is Taylor vs Tyler the single most overhyped element we've gotten from the NHL draft? It's pretty crazy how both were considered franchise-changing players and both have fallen off a cliff. Some solid seasons in there by both of them no doubt about that, but both Hall and Seguin have got to have some of the most inconsistent careers for extremely hyped prospects I've seen.
No way man. Nuge. I heard best vision since Gretzky comparisons.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Taylor vs Tyler was catchy, and both are still plenty good and pretty interesting players who had high peaks.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Are you serious? I know that RNH was "supposed" to go 1st overall, but I never heard those reports lol. I was always under the impression he was an average first overall.
100 % serious

From NHL Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan:

“A couple of people high up — and not naming names — said Hopkins has the best vision since No. 99 (Wayne Gretzky). That’s the highest compliment you can get. But the other thing is the way he competes. He never takes a night off and he works as hard in his own end as he does in the offensive zone and that takes a special player with a special set of skills to do that.”

• Wow
Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
RNH has as many 100 points seasons as MacKinnon

giphy.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Are you serious? I know that RNH was "supposed" to go 1st overall, but I never heard those reports lol. I was always under the impression he was an average first overall.
I remember him being compared to Datsyuk at the time of his draft. My friends were naturally upset when he looked more like Craig Janney.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Going through some of the pages on the main board for the draft lottery, supposedly Washington Capitals were one ball away from winning it, which went to Chicago.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Going through some of the pages on the main board for the draft lottery, supposedly Washington Capitals were one ball away from winning it, which went to Chicago.
Heard the same about Vancouver and Montreal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
With the way the lottery works, pretty much every team is one ball away from it being theirs. They are all sequenced codes of say 5-8-9-13 or 5-8-9-11. Pretty much every team has some sequence of the 5-8-9 part... which leaves the final ball to determine the winner. Or say a team has 8-9-13, but their starting number is 4 instead. Each team is very close to winning based upon the numbers tossed out. But the odds are determined by the ownership of the numbers in total... so it may seem that teams were close, when really they weren't that close.

FTR Columbus was one off as well this year.

Reactions: Balthazar

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

giphy.gif
Sounds like what we've got here is classic example of choatic-neutral. Good intentions, questionable methods. This form, as written, would force a survivor of domestic abuse, Bobby Ryan in the multi-verse where he is Canadian, to go digging into the past and rehashing this shit on yearly basis in order to play for HC.

I absolutely applaud what they are trying to accomplish. They are, however, doing an absolute shit job if this is anything to go by.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like what we've got here is classic example of choatic-neutral. Good intentions, questionable methods. This form, as written, would force a survivor of domestic abuse, Bobby Ryan in the multi-verse where he is Canadian, to go digging into the past and rehashing this shit on yearly basis in order to play for HC.

I absolutely applaud what they are trying to accomplish. They are, however, doing an absolute shit job if this is anything to go by.
Yeah I think the intentions by HC are good. We could pick apart the method, but overall they are looking to cover their ass and make sure there are no further incidents. Now saying that the NHLPA is basically, like you're not going to have players if you want to look into their questionable actions in the past... don't pay attention to the skeletons over there. :laugh:

Honestly, the hockey world is a rather big mess behind the scenes. Many questionable actions have happened and continue to happen away from the public eye. So, so many players would not pass a purity test... and the NHLPA is pretty correct that many players won't want to have light shed on them. Implementing one sounds great in theory, but the execution is going to have consequences that many don't want in the public sphere.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean to be fair, it was 13 years ago. They're both over the age of 30 now. Naturally they will begin declining.

For a few years, though, Hall was one of the best wingers in hockey and got his MVP while Seguin was one of the most dangerous scorers in the game.

Franchise altering players? Definitely not. Legit top line talents? Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad