Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No, he could have said, "No comment", or just refused to answer when asked about it, but generally, when a reporter asks a question, people tend to answer.
But generally you don't go out of your way to say that you're "not a friend" of the country where you've been working for 15 years, where you have several thousands of fans and made more than 125M dollars.

Meh, not the dumbest thing I've heard an athlete say.
If we discard the religious stuff that one is pretty pretty close to the top for me.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There better be entertaining drama out of Toronto and Edmonton this summer.. their losses were great yes but I don't feel fully satisfied with the meltdowns yet
Leafs are f***ed.

They have no GM under contract at the moment and they gotta make a move real soon on Matthews and Nylander. Both are UFA's at the end of next season and have a NMC kicking in on July 1st (yikes).

Basically they have 1.5 month to sign a GM and trade Matthews/Nylander (is that even possible to do?). Else they have to either re-up them, trade them exclusively where the players want to go or risk losing them for nothing.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Leafs are f***ed.

They have no GM under contract at the moment and they gotta make a move real soon on Matthews and Nylander. Both are UFA's at the end of next season and have a NMC kicking in on July 1st (yikes).

Basically they have 1.5 month to sign a GM and trade Matthews/Nylander (is that even possible to do?). Else they have to either re-up them, trade them exclusively where the players want to go or risk losing them for nothing.
Looking forward to those Matthews and McDavid contracts. Go for the max boys, begging you..

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Looking forward to those Matthews and McDavid contracts. Go for the max boys, begging you..
It's not even just money now though. After those playoffs do the Leafs want to commit long term to Matthews and does he even want to stay in Toronto?

There's a lot of stuff going on at the same time.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It's not even just money now though. After those playoffs do the Leafs want to commit long term to Matthews and does he even want to stay in Toronto?

There's a lot of stuff going on at the same time.
No way they will let him go and they shouldn't. Losing great players almost never turns out well. How do you replace them? Yeah, you don't.

Only way they will let him go is, if he asks for 16million or something stupid.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And he's a NHL player, not a foreign dignitary. I could care less what he thinks.

I generally can care less what 99% of famous people say if it involves political or social issues.

As others have said, it's not their area of expertise even if they are used to having generally more influence, and gladly give you their stupid sometimes.

A huge percentage of Americans have their head in the sand in general, rich, famous, or dirt poor.

That's life

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Please let it be Pete....Crosby will ask for a trade to Col and his buddy Mac immediately..

One man can dream....😎
For NewJost and the 27th OA? Or is that too much? :sarcasm: better make it a 2nd... oh wait, we don't have one. Think he'll take a couple late rounders in 2024 & 2025?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Chiarelli :laugh:
Chiarelli will almost assuredly be a "candidate" for every GM opening there is for the foreseeable future because his Harvard buddies Bettman and Daly always demand he get a look. Doesn't mean they have to be serious about hiring him but they're going to interview him if for no other reason than to stay on the good side of the league brass.

Bergevin getting a look, that's gotta be his boy Mario talkin' him up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I am not convinced Chiarelli will ever get another GM job. He was gifted a Bruins team, mangled the Seguin trade, then utterly destroyed the Oilers when he took over with bad trade/signing after another.

Reactions: Reparlana

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I am not convinced Chiarelli will ever get another GM job. He was gifted a Bruins team, mangled the Seguin trade, then utterly destroyed the Oilers when he took over with bad trade/signing after another.
The Koskinen contract out of nowhere when he already had a foot out the door should prevent him to get another job. That looked like straight out sabotage.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
His name's on the Cup, that and his VERY high connections convince me he'll get another shot someday. I would not bet anything valuable on it but I think it'll happen eventually. All it'll take is a flaky enough (newish) owner who thinks Gary and Billy actually know what they're talking about.

The one thing he gets credit for is using his Sens connections to lure Zdeno Chara over to Boston. No one, including him, could have known just how great that was going to be for the Bruins, and how disastrous it would be for Ottawa. I'd argue that was the single greatest free agency signing in North American sports history.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Koskinen contract out of nowhere when he already had a foot out the door should prevent him to get another job. That looked like straight out sabotage.

I think that was more ownership and Bob Nicholson (who was probably just as destructive as Chiarelli in his position) panicking than it was Chiarelli. I very much doubt Chiarelli is smart enough to have known that hot streak wouldn't last. We know for sure Nicholson and the rest of the Oilers personnel involved with that decision weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad