Around the League - 2023 Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah I think the intentions by HC are good. We could pick apart the method, but overall they are looking to cover their ass and make sure there are no further incidents. Now saying that the NHLPA is basically, like you're not going to have players if you want to look into their questionable actions in the past... don't pay attention to the skeletons over there. :laugh:

Honestly, the hockey world is a rather big mess behind the scenes. Many questionable actions have happened and continue to happen away from the public eye. So, so many players would not pass a purity test... and the NHLPA is pretty correct that many players won't want to have light shed on them. Implementing one sounds great in theory, but the execution is going to have consequences that many don't want in the public sphere.
I would say that until they can answer the question, what would disqualify someone and what could someone "get away with" and still make the team they have a major issue.

Standard question I've been asked on every application I've ever filled out or seen is "Have you ever been convicted of a felony? Do you currently have any charges against you, or have you been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last 10 years?"

In different industries some things can affect you while others might not. Five DUI's and I'm probably not hiring you to be a delivery driver. You had a DUI two years ago, followed through on all your legal obligations, yeah you can still be a roofer, dental assistant. Hell, you might even still be able to be a pilot, but I'm not positive. The thing is, Hockey Canada can now rely on the legal system in Canada as their litmus test. If you have any felony, it's a no go. If you have any convictions for sexual abuse, domestic abuse, assault, or allowing a cotton wood tree to grow it's a no go. If you have a misdemeanor for jaywalking, we'll let it slide, but you are probation mister, and this will go on your permanent record.

Potential problems with this, it's probably not proactive enough for some. It allows current skeletons to remain in closets and relies on the system working as intended. Which was the whole issue in the first place. Hockey Canada sweeps sexual abuse amongst other things under the rug. Are they still doing it? That's what needed to change all along. Not some application for NHL players attending a best on best tournament. If they are not asking the same question of the bobsled team this screams of a lawsuit, but again I'm American and not sure if Canadians sue people for saying "Good Morning" like we do.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The NHL awards are just srange this season. There is no way that Tkachuk was a better hockey player than Mack/Drai or that a Dman that sucks defensively should be a Lindsay finalist.

Makar would probably be considered the leagues best player by voters if he abondoned all his defensive assignments and went all-in on offense. Points = best Dman.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The NHL awards are just srange this season. There is no way that Tkachuk was a better hockey player than Mack/Drai or that a Dman that sucks defensively should be a Lindsay finalist.

Makar would probably be considered the leagues best player by voters if he abondoned all his defensive assignments and went all-in on offense. Points = best Dman.
I think Tkachuk is the clear runner up for the Hart this year honestly. He's had an unreal season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If people stopped asking athletes their opinions on politics there’d be a lot less controversy.

I’m all for people speaking out IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO. But stop forcing people into having to speak on topics they aren’t educated on. A lot of athletes spend their entire life dedicating their time to their craft to be the best they can be. Many of them don’t even know what they’re talking about when it comes to politics because they haven’t been educated on it yet fans and media are relentless on begging them to share their opinions and speak out on things they don’t even fully understand.

FTR this isn’t specific to Malkin/Ovechkin etc. those guys seem to know enough and I certainly disagree with their opinions. I’m just referring to the blending of sports/politics in general. If a player wants to speak out, I think it’s amazing. But just let them do it themselves.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Side note, I knew it was a small sample size but I figured anyone who actually managed to make Rasmus Ristolainen look good as a defensive partner must have something going for him. Turns out, Jake McCabe is just not that good. He and T.J. Brodie got absolutely destroyed in the playoffs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What you see here with Malkin is tribalism and it has been dating back in Russia since probably the B.C.E. Russia has always been a very distinctive and unique culture with a crazy radical language compared to the rest of the continent. When people were trying to join together and form Western culture for the benefit of globalisation, they decided to assemble in protectionism. Hell, the country still has different railroad track sizes than the rest of Europe where you have to change trains at their borders (which helped drastically in WWII against the Nazis).

The only time Russia truly helped and benefited others was when they had their Czars and gave Napolean his biggest loss. WWII they helped as well, but more out of a necessity against a greater evil (while simultaneously trying to invade Finland and broke up Poland by making a pact with Hilter) than them being the best comrades of the Western world. You lot can't be mad against people who've only shown one type of cultural relativism.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Dumbest, no, surely not, but every time someone says meh about this thing they're from North America. That's not a criticism, but something to think about.
When it comes to Russian players saying anything political, or about their country in general, publicly, you have to take into account the situation with the leadership in Russia, and what them being outspoken against said regime would entail for them and any family living in Russia. Maybe he/they are speaking what they believe, maybe they are saying it to be blindly loyal because they fear recourse.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When it comes to Russian players saying anything political, or about their country in general, publicly, you have to take into account the situation with the leadership in Russia, and what them being outspoken against said regime would entail for them and any family living in Russia. Maybe he/they are speaking what they believe, maybe they are saying it to be blindly loyal because they fear recourse.
Malkin didn't really need to make any comments though...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, no that's not part of what I'm saying, I get that.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is mostly a myth, note carefully how this got widespread use as a convenient PR shield the very moment The Athletic mentioned it in an article surrounding Russian players opting out of wearing Pride jerseys. I don't buy it, and if anything, it's "allies" of Putin who seem to be suffering convenient appointments with the ground at high rises of late.

Malkin, like Ovechkin and some other Russian players, have shown ardent support of him in the past, I don't think they'd be going out of their way to be his cheerleaders if they were under any sort of duress.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is mostly a myth, note carefully how this got widespread use as a convenient PR shield the very moment The Athletic mentioned it in an article surrounding Russian players opting out of wearing Pride jerseys. I don't buy it, and if anything, it's "allies" of Putin who seem to be suffering convenient appointments with the ground at high rises of late.

Malkin, like Ovechkin and some other Russian players, have shown ardent support of him in the past, I don't think they'd be going out of their way to be his cheerleaders if they were under any sort of duress.
The human brain is very malleable, people will follow others that have power and in the case of Putin, he is a very strong leader. Plus a lot of Russians, especially the NHLers are Eastern Orthodox and since Putin also follows the same religion (along with power), they all consider themselves to be "in-groups" with one another.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The human brain is very malleable, people will follow others that have power and in the case of Putin, he is a very strong leader. Plus a lot of Russians, especially the NHLers are Eastern Orthodox and since Putin also follows the same religion (along with power), they all consider themselves to be "in-groups" with one another.
There's a very big difference between a strong leader and a bully on the international stage who convinces people he's a strong leader.

Domineering right-wing types enrapture a lot of would-be alpha males, we see it all the time here in the US as well, especially in the realm of sports.

Also, Putin is likely as pious and spiritual as I am.

Reactions: The Puckhound

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There's a very big difference between a strong leader and a bully on the international stage who convinces people he's a strong leader.

Domineering right-wing types enrapture a lot of would-be alpha males, we see it all the time here in the US as well, especially in the realm of sports.

Also, Putin is likely as pious and spiritual as I am.
Agreed on all accounts. I would just add that we might seem him as a bully in the West, but countrymen and others can see that bullying is a type of strength and that's all that matters to convince them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad