Around the League - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Because it's absolutely the best option out of those and not particularly close.

As a general rule, North American sports teams names are f***ing cringe AF, designed for 10 year old kids and not adults. I'm sorry, but that's just the fact. The Avalanche are no exception. Utah HC would actually be a breath of fresh air and sound serious and interesting, instead of this cringe Yeti bullshit.
I want my Utah HC and I want my ridiculous FX series ‘Welcome to Utah’ about their first season where they recruit the most random celebrities who know nothing about hockey to be involved

But seriously, I agree with you about it being the best one because the others are well terrible and it would be an amusing novelty. Utah Yeti sounds like something you’d name an elementary school sports program

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
The NHL has a mediocre track record on names choices recently... Since 99' we have Thrashers, Blue Jackets, Wild, Thrashers back to Jets, Golden Knights and Kraken. The only good name of the bunch is Kraken imo...

Outlaw and Yeti are probably the leaders at this point. If Yeti wins out that kills the hope that we get the Yeti mascot back too, which makes me sad.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The NHL has a mediocre track record on names choices recently... Since 99' we have Thrashers, Blue Jackets, Wild, Thrashers back to Jets, Golden Knights and Kraken. The only good name of the bunch is Kraken imo...

Outlaw and Yeti are probably the leaders at this point. If Yeti wins out that kills the hope that we get the Yeti mascot back too, which makes me sad.
In a league with Avalanche, Hurricanes and Lightning too.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
When I was a kid I thought the Thrashers logo was a spinning top that would 'thrash' opponents. I don't think Utah's name matters too much. Fans will grow into it.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I saw a bunch of news clips from when they flew the Coyotes players up to Utah for a visit. In every clip with a group of kids, they were all screaming Yeti!

I'd rather the team be called the Swarm and they could call their arena the Hive. But if giving them the name Yeti gets more kids engaged...sure, why the hell not?

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
I saw a bunch of news clips from when they flew the Coyotes players up to Utah for a visit. In every clip with a group of kids, they were all screaming Yeti!

I'd rather the team be called the Swarm and they could call their arena the Hive. But if giving them the name Yeti gets more kids engaged...sure, why the hell not?
Same basic argument for mascots. Kids love them and that engagement draws in (or enables) the parent. Pro sports 101.

Reactions: Pokecheque

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Same basic argument for mascots. Kids love them and that engagement draws in (or enables) the parent. Pro sports 101.
Implying that you can't have mascots for Utah HC... How do us Europeans pull this off with "generic bland HC/FC/whatever sporting club" style names? I would say it requires some more creativity, but not even that frankly. Just pick an animal of some type, doesn't have to have a damn thing to do with the club name.
But seriously, I agree with you about it being the best one because the others are well terrible and it would be an amusing novelty. Utah Yeti sounds like something you’d name an elementary school sports program
I'm going to take back a bit of my earlier post. There are a lot of good names in NA sports. While I don't think they are super great, they work. Frankly, Seattle Kraken is ok. Vegas Golden Knights, is ok. All these Utah proposals that made the top-6? They suck, outside of Utah HC. Yeti? Mammoth? C'mon...

Reactions: Iceberg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Implying that you can't have mascots for Utah HC... How do us Europeans pull this off with "generic bland HC/FC/whatever sporting club" style names? I would say it requires some more creativity, but not even that frankly. Just pick an animal of some type, doesn't have to have a damn thing to do with the club name.
This just sounds like communism.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The Swedes tried the whole mascot thing. Malmö is still Redhawks, Växjö is Lakers. Linköping has had that ugly ass f***ing lion logo forever. Frölunda picked "Indians" and Kristianstad picked "Wild Kings". They went back to HC and IK, obviously. It just isn't for them.

:sarcasm:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Damn Nashville, that's pretty bad

bV2PO8q.png

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The Swedes tried the whole mascot thing. Malmö is still Redhawks, Växjö is Lakers. Linköping has had that ugly ass f***ing lion logo forever. Frölunda picked "Indians" and Kristianstad picked "Wild Kings". They went back to HC and IK, obviously. It just isn't for them.

:sarcasm:
There was a thing in the turn of the millenia where Finnish teams did this as well. Well, the club names didn't change, but they rebranded to these "gimmicks". They have since reverted back. On the left, the logos that were introduced in the 90s-early 2000s and carried over to the 2010s. On the right, the original logos which they reverted back to:
liiga.jpg

The first one is especially stupid. Rauman Lukko, "Lock (of) Rauma" is a pretty decent team name to begin with, and they had this awesome logo. They then went to the fox from 1996-2012, because what @expatriatedtexan and @UnkleKraker said I guess. "The kids will like it". Well f*** them kids.

With HPK (2nd) and HIFK (3rd) respectively, we are talking about sports clubs where the names are acronyms anyways so it might have made some sense to find themselves a mascot in this 90s craze. HPK sported the knight 2001-2012, and HIFK "the beast" or whatever 2000-2010

Thank god we have got away from that, and thank god my team never got into this type of shit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean Guhle and Reinbacher is two completely different level of values.
Really? Which one is worth more?

The 22 yo all-situation dman who can already play top pair or last year's 5th OA pick who's a sought after RD bluechipper? I honestly can't tell. :laugh:

Habs would probably be better off trading this year's 5th OA pick for Zegras and keep their defense TBH.

Last edited:

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I always like the Mighty Ducks logo. If they go back to that, that's a huge win in my books. Does Disney still own any part of that logo? I know they already have a few retro jerseys that use it, but I'm guessing that paying to use a copyright on an alternate jersey is a lot cheaper than it would be for their mains.

EDIT: I got unlazy and did a Google search. Looks like they're good to go.
In 2005, Broadcom Corporation co-founder Henry Samueli of Irvine, California, and his wife Susan bought the Mighty Ducks from The Walt Disney Company for a reported US$75 million.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Really? Which one is worth more?

The 22 yo all-situation dman who can already play top pair or last year's 5th OA pick who's a sought after RD bluechipper? I honestly can't tell. :laugh:

Habs would probably be better off trading this year's 5th OA pick for Zegras and keep their defense TBH.
I mean I like Guhle, but I don’t see 1D upside. He’s good no doubt, but a RD with 1D upside is worth more to me.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
There was a thing in the turn of the millenia where Finnish teams did this as well. Well, the club names didn't change, but they rebranded to these "gimmicks". They have since reverted back. On the left, the logos that were introduced in the 90s-early 2000s and carried over to the 2010s. On the right, the original logos which they reverted back to:
View attachment 880378

The first one is especially stupid. Rauman Lukko, "Lock (of) Rauma" is a pretty decent team name to begin with, and they had this awesome logo. They then went to the fox from 1996-2012, because what @expatriatedtexan and @UnkleKraker said I guess. "The kids will like it". Well f*** them kids.

With HPK (2nd) and HIFK (3rd) respectively, we are talking about sports clubs where the names are acronyms anyways so it might have made some sense to find themselves a mascot in this 90s craze. HPK sported the knight 2001-2012, and HIFK "the beast" or whatever 2000-2010

Thank god we have got away from that, and thank god my team never got into this type of shit.
My team did.

Remember the KalPa "Wolves"?
Thank god they also reverted back from that shit.

Edit to add: I still wish they went back to the vintage one which had an awesome font. The current one is too clean and bland.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Lol, I watched the Jersey Watch where Icethetics goes through every team and for the Avs he just goes: "No news for Colorado". We're changing nothing at all.
I mean, this would be the absolute best time for the Avs to do a rebrand. With our cap situation, there is literally nothing for MacFarland to do this summer other than put up a league wide PTO for league minimum contracts and telling interested parties when training camp begins.

Approving our new thirds (Xtreme) should be a no-brainer at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacKaRant

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
My team did.

Remember the KalPa "Wolves"?
Thank god they also reverted back from that shit.

Edit to add: I still wish they went back to the vintage one which had an awesome font. The current one is too clean and bland.
JYP changed from a crest with a hockey player on it to a weird red hurricane and kept it...

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I mean, this would be the absolute best time for the Avs to do a rebrand. With out cap situation, there is literally nothing for MacFarland to do this summer other than put up a league wide PTO for league minimum contracts and telling interested parties when training camp begins.

Approving our new thirds (Xtreme) should be a no-brainer at this point.
They really should update the third jersey.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

I'm going to take back a bit of my earlier post. There are a lot of good names in NA sports. While I don't think they are super great, they work. Frankly, Seattle Kraken is ok. Vegas Golden Knights, is ok. All these Utah proposals that made the top-6? They suck, outside of Utah HC. Yeti? Mammoth? C'mon...
Not implying that at all. Just saying that mascots are present primarily for kids and if a bunch of them lined up and were jazzed about a certain name it could be a factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad