Around the League - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
There was a thing in the turn of the millenia where Finnish teams did this as well. Well, the club names didn't change, but they rebranded to these "gimmicks". They have since reverted back. On the left, the logos that were introduced in the 90s-early 2000s and carried over to the 2010s. On the right, the original logos which they reverted back to:
View attachment 880378

The first one is especially stupid. Rauman Lukko, "Lock (of) Rauma" is a pretty decent team name to begin with, and they had this awesome logo. They then went to the fox from 1996-2012, because what @expatriatedtexan and @UnkleKraker said I guess. "The kids will like it". Well f*** them kids.

With HPK (2nd) and HIFK (3rd) respectively, we are talking about sports clubs where the names are acronyms anyways so it might have made some sense to find themselves a mascot in this 90s craze. HPK sported the knight 2001-2012, and HIFK "the beast" or whatever 2000-2010

Thank god we have got away from that, and thank god my team never got into this type of shit.
When I was a season ticket holder for the Seattle Thunderbirds they had the cringiest mascot "Cool Bird". That said, every game you would see little ones carrying around a plush version. What team is going to be against that? Total merch and pandering to the littles but that is $$$'s.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I made sure it wasn't some kind of old April fool or something

That really sucks. Another copycat might take over and make a public website again but it will take a lot of time to reach that level, if ever.

Damn

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What am I missing? Why would a team want to purchase capfriendly?

Is it to simply to shut it down and take salary info out of the public sphere?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For the vast majority of folks here, that shouldn't effect anything they want to do with the tool.
For the most part yeah… the details of NTC, signing bonuses, etc are useful and probably not going to be confirmed as quickly.

What am I missing? Why would a team want to purchase capfriendly?

Is it to simply to shut it down and take salary info out of the public sphere?
Teams actually purchased rights to use it and the api behind the scenes. This takes that tool out of their hands (about 10-12 teams if rumors are to be believed).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For the most part yeah… the details of NTC, signing bonuses, etc are useful and probably not going to be confirmed as quickly.

Teams actually purchased rights to use it and the api behind the scenes. This takes that tool out of their hands (about 10-12 teams if rumors are to be believed).
I hope he made a killing.

It just sucks to live in the data and information age and to constantly have both taken away from the public sphere.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I think the Caps would have to honor previous agreements made by CF. Depending on the details of licensing agreements teams could keep access.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad