Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have somewhat mixed feelings on Ovechkin as far as his behavior off the ice is concerned, but there's no doubt he's one of the greatest players to ever take the ice, one of the greatest players of any sport EVER. To see one of Gretzky's many records go down within my lifetime is just insane to think about.

And even if the record does get broken, I don't think the points/assists one is in any danger. The Great One would still be the all-time points leader even if you took all his goals away. That's insane.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ovechkin held without a shot in consecutive games for the first time ever in his career.

I don’t think he’s breaking down (at least not yet) but the Caps sure as hell are.
I think Ovechkin is going to be "Ray Bourque'd" and what I mean by that is he'll be traded to a Cup Contender to give him one last chance for a Cup and to break the goal record. I don't think it will happen this season, but if Caps are bottom 5 when it is all said and done, I think the team and him both very much consider it. They have Strome as a 1st line centre, Kuzy - who wants to be gone - on the 2nd line, and Backstrom floating around on the 3rd. Kuzy is probably gone when the cap goes up and somebody can take his contract, but I think there is a decent chance that Backstrom also gets LTIR after this season as well. That means their centre depth is completely destroyed after that. McMichael will probably take one of those spots, but the jury is still out if he's able to handle that position.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think Ovechkin is going to be "Ray Bourque'd" and what I mean by that is he'll be traded to a Cup Contender to give him one last chance for a Cup and to break the goal record. I don't think it will happen this season, but if Caps are bottom 5 when it is all said and done, I think the team and him both very much consider it. They have Strome as a 1st line centre, Kuzy - who wants to be gone - on the 2nd line, and Backstrom floating around on the 3rd. Kuzy is probably gone when the cap goes up and somebody can take his contract, but I think there is a decent chance that Backstrom also gets LTIR after this season as well. That means their centre depth is completely destroyed after that. McMichael will probably take one of those spots, but the jury is still out if he's able to handle that position.
I know you said he'll be traded to a Cup Contender, but he's got more than just one or two years left. I would love to see Columbus grab him and set him up with Fantilli, leaving Laine to center Johnny Hockey. That would be two effective offensive lines. Plus...it's about damn time something nice happens for Columbus.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know you said he'll be traded to a Cup Contender, but he's got more than just one or two years left. I would love to see Columbus grab him and set him up with Fantilli, leaving Laine to center Johnny Hockey. That would be two effective offensive lines. Plus...it's about damn time something nice happens for Columbus.
There are some rumours he wants to finish his career in the KHL. I don't know if he decided to change his mind on that, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't finish his NHL contract after breaking the recording and going back to Russia.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It might come down to that. Maybe they'll turn it around well enough but man do they look bad right now.

There are some rumours he wants to finish his career in the KHL. I don't know if he decided to change his mind on that, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't finish his NHL contract after breaking the recording and going back to Russia.

That would be best case scenario for Washington. See him break the record in the Caps jersey and then...see ya, don't have to pay ya anymore. Don't know if it'll happen though, by the time he breaks it, if he does, he will be ancient.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It might come down to that. Maybe they'll turn it around well enough but man do they look bad right now.

That would be best case scenario for Washington. See him break the record in the Caps jersey and then...see ya, don't have to pay ya anymore. Don't know if it'll happen though, by the time he breaks it, if he does, he will be ancient.
If Ovy wants to play in the KHL even as ancient as he'll be, that shot will be the absolute last thing to go. He could probably just skate to the left circle and stand still for the rest of the game waiting for one-timers and still hit 30+G/per season in the KHL.

Speaking of ancient, doesn't Jagr still lace them up for home games or has he officially retired for good?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Ovy wants to play in the KHL even as ancient as he'll be, that shot will be the absolute last thing to go. He could probably just skate to the left circle and stand still for the rest of the game waiting for one-timers and still hit 30+G/per season in the KHL.

Speaking of ancient, doesn't Jagr still lace them up for home games or has he officially retired for good?

Yes, he's still playing at age 50, but that is partially out of necessity. He's the owner or part-owner of Kladno and as I understand it, they're suffering pretty badly financially, so he's taking to the ice to keep butts in seats.

Ironic that he's doing for his hometown team what Mario did for the Pens way back when.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yes, he's still playing at age 50, but that is partially out of necessity. He's the owner or part-owner of Kladno and as I understand it, they're suffering pretty badly financially, so he's taking to the ice to keep butts in seats.

Ironic that he's doing for his hometown team what Mario did for the Pens way back when.
I've got so much respect for Jagr. The player and the person.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have somewhat mixed feelings on Ovechkin as far as his behavior off the ice is concerned, but there's no doubt he's one of the greatest players to ever take the ice, one of the greatest players of any sport EVER. To see one of Gretzky's many records go down within my lifetime is just insane to think about.

And even if the record does get broken, I don't think the points/assists one is in any danger. The Great One would still be the all-time points leader even if you took all his goals away. That's insane.

Hard to see the points/assists record ever being broken.

Scoring would have to return to what it was in the 80's at the same time another Gretzky level player enters the league and stays healthy his whole career. All three happening at the same time is pretty unlikely.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
That caps team is reallllllllly slow. Crazy how they go from a cup contender to being a bottom 10 team in the span of 2ish years

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't. That's a competitive roster, with a legit top line center and top pairing. They also have enough depth that they don't have to rush their prospects. Don't know if the plan is to keep Copp at wing but they now have options between him and JTC.
Larkin is bottom tier 1C and Seider has lost some luster in the last 2 years. Copp and JTC are 2 bad contracts...then you have the Chiarot, Petry, Perron...Fabbri, Ghost, Holl...

Yikes.

I really, really don't like how Yzerman built this team. Classic case of not being patient enough with your rebuild and trying to patch holes way too early.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Larkin is bottom tier 1C and Seider has lost some luster in the last 2 years. Copp and JTC are 2 bad contracts...then you have the Chabot, Petry, Perron...Fabbri, Ghost, Holl...

Yikes.

I really, really don't like how Yzerman built this team.
Hard agree. It's like he got desperate when his top picks didn't really work put and signed a bunch of meh to the roster to stay a competitive bubble team at best. His ass is definitely on the hot seat if they miss the playoffs again

Reactions: Balthazar

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Larkin is bottom tier 1C and Seider has lost some luster in the last 2 years. Copp and JTC are 2 bad contracts...then you have the Chiarot, Petry, Perron...Fabbri, Ghost, Holl...

Yikes.

I really, really don't like how Yzerman built this team. Classic case of not being patient enough with your rebuild and trying to patch holes way too early.

He had a career year in points last season (79) so I have no idea what you're talking about him losing "some luster the last 2 years."

And he's not a "bottom tier" 1C. He's a legit top line pivot, just because they're not a MacKinnon/McDavid/Hughes-type franchise talent doesn't mean they're "bottom tier." You can still build a winner around a center like that. If Kasper ends up being better then they're in REALLY good shape going forward. And mind you I'm actually not that big a Larkin fan.

You also have a ridiculously high bar when it comes to "bad contracts." I agree the Chiarot deal is not good but I tell ya what, that contract is already aging better than Manson's, and the players in terms of age and cap hit are nearly identical. But really? Ghost? That's a completely manageable cap hit and is for one f***ing year. C'mon man...

JTC got the going market rate for a good 3C/utility guy. Copp is making similar coin, and I'm guessing one of them will get moved if cap space becomes an issue.

This really isn't that different from what Yzerman did in Tampa. He signed and traded for veteran players there too, it wasn't a full-on tank job like the type you always seem to advocate for.

I'm curious...has any team tanked and rebuilt the way you like? Because I'm not sure any team has done it the way you want it and been successful.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm curious...has any team tanked and rebuilt the way you like? Because I'm not sure any team has done it the way you want it and been successful.
No success yet but the Sens and Sabres post Botterill.

The Sens did it almost perfectly, minus goaltending.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seider has lost some luster in the last 2 years
I think he lost his defensive partner from his rookie season.

E: Also, I suggest that Larkin is more an average 1C than bottom-tier IMHO.

EII: The worst thing Yzerman did was draft Cossa over Wallstedt.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think he lost his defensive partner from his rookie season.
At one point people thought he'd become the next Hedman. Hedman was legit the best dman in the league until Makar happened...

Seider will never be top a 3 dman in the league since Makar, Dahlin and Fox exist and aren't significantly older.

Reactions: Azrael89

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
JTC got the going market rate for a good 3C/utility guy. Copp is making similar coin, and I'm guessing one of them will get moved if cap space becomes an issue.
Balthazar's too harsh, but Yzerman has made some mistakes. Exiled Zadina with others and signed JTC when he already had Copp is a def headscratcher. Both are twin types of players. Chariot sucks, but I am with you on that one, that contract is gone and done when all the Red Wings young talent eventually complete their ELCs.

At one point people thought he'd become the next Hedman. Hedman was legit the best dman in the league until Makar happened...

Seider will never be top a 3 dman in the league since Makar, Dahlin and Fox exist and aren't significantly older.
It might be the Canadian media, but I never once saw the Hedman comparison and that is pretty unfair IMHO. He does have 3 points in 4 games to start this year, but he definitely will not be as dynamic as the three you mentioned. Nonetheless, he should eventually become an average to above-average #1 defenceman and that is still a hella of a good pick considering he was ranked as a mid-tier player during the draft (though lists were all over the place with him tbf).

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Okay, be honest. Has anyone else clicked on the X logo trying to close the tweet window on your screen, only to have it open the tweet up in a new tab?

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad