Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd absolutely hate #1... the best part of hockey is 5v5 and the game should be played there as much as possible. Along with that, if you think refs swallow the whistle now in the playoffs... just wait until that happens... they'll be afraid to call anything in close games.

The 3 point system and offensive zone faceoff for period starting PP are two changes I'd like. It gives the right incentives and rewards. The rest I'm not a huge fan of.

The area I'd love tweaked more than anything is replay. I'd be for eliminating offside replays as a whole, but that very least it should be tweaked. Complete nonsense that you can be offsides 30 seconds prior to the play and still have a goal disallowed even after 2 failed clears. Plus the natural human thing for the linesman is to lean towards letting things go instead of being as accurate as possible. Doesn't give them the best incentives.

After that, I'd get rid of 3v3 OT. Go back to 4v4 or 5v5 and make it 10 minutes.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Lmao. Or you split it into a 3 game series then 2 game series. Or 2/2/1.

The idea is to reduce travel.
Okay that makes more sense. I'm surprised that isn't more of a thing already seems like it'd reduce in-conference travel by quite a bit. My only issue with it is that you'd get to beat up or vice versa a single team depending on a single injury. So for in conference play the point swings could get interesting

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm ok with not implementing #1 but I wouldn't hate it. The Oilers and Canucks would absolutely rip up the league though lol.

3 point system NEEDS to happen. The league has enough parity as-is with the cap and expansion.

Reactions: Avs_19

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
LeBrun's article on The Athletic mentions six rule changes he would like to see:

1) Full two-minute PPs
2) Offensive zone faceoffs to start periods if a PP carries over
3) 3v3 overtime expanded to 7 minutes
4) 3 goalies per roster without hindering roster flexibility
5) Baseball-like series in the regular season if you play a team more than once
6) 3 point system

I can get behind 1, 5, and 6. Especially 6. It is long past time for the NHL to adopt a 3 point system.

IIRC the league had #1 until the Canadiens got so good on the PP that teams complained they were scoring too many goals in either the 60s or 70s.
Not a fan of any of them except the 3-pt system. OT should be 4v4 for 10 minutes. It would much less of a gimmick. #5 works in baseball because they play twice as many games as NHL. No interest in seeing the same team for 3 or 4 days in a row. Two games would be better though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
LeBrun's article on The Athletic mentions six rule changes he would like to see:

1) Full two-minute PPs
6) 3 point system

I can get behind 1, 5, and 6. Especially 6. It is long past time for the NHL to adopt a 3 point system.

IIRC the league had #1 until the Canadiens got so good on the PP that teams complained they were scoring too many goals in either the 60s or 70s.
1 No
2 Happens so rarely, who cares?
3 Very no
4 Is this really important?
5 This wouldn't matter to me at all
6 Sure

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Too many old guys in charge of the league. They don't want to see the historic teams of the past not show on point leader charts in the future to ever allow a 3 point system

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'd absolutely hate #1... the best part of hockey is 5v5 and the game should be played there as much as possible. Along with that, if you think refs swallow the whistle now in the playoffs... just wait until that happens... they'll be afraid to call anything in close games.

The 3 point system and offensive zone faceoff for period starting PP are two changes I'd like. It gives the right incentives and rewards. The rest I'm not a huge fan of.

The area I'd love tweaked more than anything is replay. I'd be for eliminating offside replays as a whole, but that very least it should be tweaked. Complete nonsense that you can be offsides 30 seconds prior to the play and still have a goal disallowed even after 2 failed clears. Plus the natural human thing for the linesman is to lean towards letting things go instead of being as accurate as possible. Doesn't give them the best incentives.

After that, I'd get rid of 3v3 OT. Go back to 4v4 or 5v5 and make it 10 minutes.
There was a game in the PL a week or two ago where VAR disallowed a goal despite about three players on the other team touching the ball but not clearing it. I've always been of the view that if the offside moment itself doesn't create an immediate advantage for the team that scores, it should be fine.

Reactions: henchman21

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

1) Full two-minute PPs
6) 3 point system

I can get behind all those but #3. f*** 3 on 3. Has become boring as shit. If you go to a 3-point system for Regulation wins, 2 for OT wins, and 1 for SO wins, then go back to 4 on 4 for OT. At least they play some semblance of hockey 4 on 4.

Reactions: dahrougem2

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

1) Full two-minute PPs
6) 3 point system

1) Not sure I like this. I could change the way refs officiate the games, and increase diving/selling calls.

2) Meh, don't really care about this one.

3) No, no, nononono. Doing exactly the wrong thing. 3v3 OT is possibly the single worst thing about NHL hockey right now.

4) Meh, don't care. Though I suspect most teams' 3rd goaltender would be a young guy, who'd they'd rather see playing games in the AHL. I'm not sure what problem this addresses.

5) Might make for some heated games, 2nd or 3rd game in a week. Kind of a mid-season playoff feel? I'd be OK with it.

6) Yes.

Other changes that should be made, include the one @henchman21 suggested: get rid of offsides challenges, particularly after a significant amount of time has elapsed. Also, change the playoff seedings back to 1-8/2-7, etc. And do something about the almost comical ambiguity in the league discipline office.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
There was a game in the PL a week or two ago where VAR disallowed a goal despite about three players on the other team touching the ball but not clearing it. I've always been of the view that if the offside moment itself doesn't create an immediate advantage for the team that scores, it should be fine.
How about making the blueline wider? Like, make it a foot wide? Or that once the puck touches the blue, it's no longer offside. I don't think you should get rid of offside, or you're going to have guys 20-30 feet OS on the PP just waiting there.

Meh, what the NHL should do is rip off the NBA and add a half circle to each end of the ice. If you score a goal while shooting from behind the line, you get two goals instead of one.
The 3-point goal if scored from outside the blueline!!!

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021

1) Full two-minute PPs
6) 3 point system

1 is awful
2 could make a slight difference as sometimes those PPs get completely wasted after the intermission.
3 I hate this. I want to go back to SD OT but a limit on it for like 10 min.
4 this one is great especially for the Avs since we never have two healthy goalies
5 I get the idea to save travel but it would be boring plus not having that during the regular season is what makes the playoffs so different and exciting.
6 I don’t really care too much about this one. Either 3 point system or no loser point in OT would change things a bit I guess.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Lmao. Or you split it into a 3 game series then 2 game series. Or 2/2/1.

The idea is to reduce travel.
I like this, do not play 5 in a row b/c we had that in the bubble or whatever and teams got sick of it. Also, big fat no to changing the 2-2-1-1-1 in the playoffs.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Give him 20 games if true. That is psychotic.

Hartman was fined $4,427.08 for the play — the maximum allowable by the CBA — but will receive no further discipline. There is an agreement in place that allows players to wear microphones during games; part of the agreement stipulates that the audio cannot be used in connection with supplemental discipline. Thus Hartman, who has been suspended three times — including for last season’s open ice hit on Jets forward Nikolaj Ehlers — and fined seven times, cannot be punished for stating his intent to high-stick Perfetti.

• Wow
Reactions: sethro109

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Imagine how pissed MacK is going to be after ripping off 2 years in a row where he has career years and management doesn't do anything to help him at all
They got Ryjo during the summer. I've been assured by reputable sources that playoff Ryjo is a true sight to behold.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
1) Full two-minute PPs
6) 3 point system
1) no
2) no
3) they can go unlimited OT as long as they get rid of the shootout.
4) no
5) no
6) Yes please. Either all games are worth 3 points (or 2 points). It's a disgrace that all games aren't worth the same number of points.

Reactions: Metallo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad