Around the League - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It's a big gamble, but what's the other option given how Carolina operates? The last time Carolina traded their 1st was for Skjei in 2020 and he had years left on his contract.

Outside of that, they go bargain bin hunting and trade their 3rd-7th round picks, even when they have decent-sized holes. I don't see them changing their MO this TDL. So goalies in their price range would be Reimer, Allen, Vladar, Lankinen, etc. The only one that may be a better gamble is Allen, but he still has an additional year.

Well they don't need to own both of the worst goalies in the NHL so there's an option. If they want a league worst goalie on their roster they'll just keep Raanta and run with Kochetkov/Raanta. It's also not in their M.O. to bring in overpaid, severely underperforming goalies either. I haven't really looked around to see who are the best fits but I think it's extremely fair to say Samsonov should only be in consideration as UFA making league minimum.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Love that the NHL will claim to crackdown on crosschecks yet Dillon dishes a blatant crosscheck to the ribs without penalty.

I'll say like I always have: crosschecking is not defending. Get that shit out of the game. Anybody can crosscheck. Teach players how to defend with body position, stick work, and separating the man from the puck physically but legally.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oliver Bjorkstrand is a lot like Gabriel Landeskog with his speaking. Can't detect an accent at all. He's been in North America for 13 years now so it makes some sense but if you didn't know his name you probably wouldn't guess he's from Denmark.

Reactions: S E P H

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Oliver Bjorkstrand is a lot like Gabriel Landeskog with his speaking. Can't detect an accent at all. He's been in North America for 13 years now so it makes some sense but if you didn't know his name you probably wouldn't guess he's from Denmark.
More like 10 years as 12-13 was his first year in Portland. Even back then he didn’t have much of an accent. He always seemed to score on the T-Birds just like he always seems to score against the Avs since his time in Seattle.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Love that the NHL will claim to crackdown on crosschecks yet Dillon dishes a blatant crosscheck to the ribs without penalty.

I'll say like I always have: crosschecking is not defending. Get that shit out of the game. Anybody can crosscheck. Teach players how to defend with body position, stick work, and separating the man from the puck physically but legally.
Could not agree more. Cross checks to the back have probably ended way more careers early than headshots.

Reactions: dahrougem2

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This winter classic is kind of a mixed bag. I actually like the vintage looking threads the teams are wearing but the telecast itself is ugly. Those white sheets and black tarps just lying on the ground in the background look ridiculous on tv. They really should do something better with that space...even if it's just a SRO beer garden.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
This winter classic is kind of a mixed bag. I actually like the vintage looking threads the teams are wearing but the telecast itself is ugly. Those white sheets and black tarps just lying on the ground in the background look ridiculous on tv. They really should do something better with that space...even if it's just a SRO beer garden.
“Ice bergs”. :DD

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
More like 10 years as 12-13 was his first year in Portland. Even back then he didn’t have much of an accent. He always seemed to score on the T-Birds just like he always seems to score against the Avs since his time in Seattle.
Bjorkstrand's dad, Todd Bjorkstrand is from the US (Minneapolis). He came here to play for Herning. He played with and coached Franz Nielsen. Great guy. Very popular here. He's played for the the national team, but he retained his US citizenship.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Reminder to CMac because he obviously reads these that Eli Tolvanen could have been had for free last season and his 23 points would have him 5th on the Avs in scoring behind only MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar, and Nichushkin.
don't think he'd fit the same here but the point remains he could have taken the shot

Reactions: Vk1ing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
LeBrun's article on The Athletic mentions six rule changes he would like to see:

1) Full two-minute PPs
2) Offensive zone faceoffs to start periods if a PP carries over
3) 3v3 overtime expanded to 7 minutes
4) 3 goalies per roster without hindering roster flexibility
5) Baseball-like series in the regular season if you play a team more than once
6) 3 point system

I can get behind 1, 5, and 6. Especially 6. It is long past time for the NHL to adopt a 3 point system.

IIRC the league had #1 until the Canadiens got so good on the PP that teams complained they were scoring too many goals in either the 60s or 70s.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
LeBrun's article on The Athletic mentions six rule changes he would like to see:

1) Full two-minute PPs
2) Offensive zone faceoffs to start periods if a PP carries over
3) 3v3 overtime expanded to 7 minutes
4) 3 goalies per roster without hindering roster flexibility
5) Baseball-like series in the regular season if you play a team more than once
6) 3 point system

I can get behind 1, 5, and 6. Especially 6. It is long past time for the NHL to adopt a 3 point system.

IIRC the league had #1 until the Canadiens got so good on the PP that teams complained they were scoring too many goals in either the 60s or 70s.
5 would be that you play the Wild like 5 times in a row and then never play them again the rest of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad