Around the League - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Not sure how long its going to last but Chicago hasnt been a dumpster fire to start the season at all. They actually been solid. To hold the Leafs wagon to 1 goal with Soderblom in net is something to be proud of.
The kids are out there playing hard looking to stick in the NHL. Eventually, the veteran teams will get going again and also not take them lightly. I do expect they’ll surprise by being more in that 20-24 range than a complete basement dweller this year

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Boldy out week-to-week, on top of Spurgeon being out indefinitely the Wild might be hard pressed to keep pace in the West.
Meh it’ll just be some dipshit scrub who suddenly shows up outta nowhere and posts a career year or something. Always the case with the Wylde.

In a way that’s a good thing. They’ll never tear it down and and get the proper core pieces if they just keep getting overachievers to fill the gaps during the regular season.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The biggest problem with hockey is that the stars don’t play enough each game.

Bednar vs Matthews and you don’t see them with the puck all that often. Lots of supporting cast.

Think to football and a Brady vs Manning duel and every snap of the game one of them has the ball. Huge difference in watching and marketing stars.
And it almost never lives up the hype when they market these stars going “head to head.” Coaches are way more obsessed with shutting down the stars on the other side than they are putting their own in a position to succeed.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
"Matthews denied hat trick record" is a weird way to lead when the Leafs lost to the Blackhawks, NHL.com.
Or if he had come up 1 goal short of a hatty. 1 disallowed goal and that's the headline? Lol.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Oh I saw that, wondered which defender did that.

Vincent’s gotta be careful though. He’s a brand new head coach and entered under inauspicious circumstances. He could lose that locker room very, very easily.

Also, Spencer Martin was a terrible pickup for the Jax. That guy couldn’t stop a beach ball last night, though it’s not like Lumbus was doing much at all to slow down the Red Wings. They pretty much had a clear path to the net all night.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
This was the whole headline:

CASE OF THE MONDAYS
Matthews held scoreless, denied of hat trick record in Toronto’s loss to Bedard, Chicago.
America's use of the apostrophe in headlines like this drives me insane, but I think this is the first time I've seen it twice in one sentence.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
green filth in for a terrible season is it? What a shame.
GWqwokR.png

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Exactly what I was thinking. They were rolling last season with no problems. Let's see how they deal when things don't go their way.

Shocking. Maybe they are the team who surprises?

Detroit beat Toronto handedly, Chicago having success against them too?

Is it that the shit teams got better, or is Toronto broken? It was quite the off season lol.

Last edited:

Deadsy

May 8, 2021
Do we know why the Wolves dumped them? It doesn't make sense to have 32 NHL teams, 32 AHL teams and one team that is in the Canes situation.

Canes were too hands on with roster and icetime decisions and threatened to fire the Wolves coach in the middle of 2022 Calder Cup run because he was putting Alex Lyon in the net instead of Pyotr Kochetkov.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Do we know why the Wolves dumped them? It doesn't make sense to have 32 NHL teams, 32 AHL teams and one team that is in the Canes situation.
Essentially Wolves have different goals than the team. The Wolves want to be a top AHL team and play to win over everything else. They want final decisions on the front office, coaching staff, and roster. Canes want input and they care about development. There are some specifics as mentioned above, but that is just the first layer of the onion. The Wolves are pretty notoriously hard to work with and each affiliation doesn't last very long. The AHL Board can't really force them to work with a team, so they are going alone on it. This is the 2nd or 3rd time they've done this.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad