GDT: Around The League 2023-24: Post Season of Misery and What-Ifs :(

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins the East?

• Walker, New York Rangers

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • The Pink Panthers

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Because they're buddies and the league is REALLY eager to get sued.
C’mon, that’s a bullshit response.

Look. I dislike RG as much as the next person as an opponent hockey player but when you get hired for a role do you try to sabotage your hiring organization from the start?

Anyone that thinks so is naive.

Give the guy a chance. I don’t like Brendan Shanahan as prez of TML but as person involved in DOPS he was pretty good.

Real question to you:

Rather than staffing as they have what would your ideal leadership look like for DoPs? Dr Fauci notwithstanding?

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Look. I dislike RG as much as the next person as an opponent hockey player but when you get hired for a role do you try to sabotage your hiring organization from the start?

Give the guy a chance. I don’t like Brendan Shanahan as prez of TML but as person involved in DOPS he was pretty good.

Real question to you:

Rather than staffing as they have what would your ideal leadership look like for DoPs? Dr Fauci notwithstanding?
They have a problem with their integrity and professionalism in their upper management.

Their player safety is a joke, they need to hire competent people, not buddies for jobs. At some point someone or a group of people will sue this league and the league will lose because of all of this nonsense.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They have a problem with their integrity and professionalism in their upper management.

Their player safety is a joke, they need to hire competent people, not buddies for jobs. At some point someone or a group of people will sue this league and the league will lose because of all of this nonsense.
I don’t disagree with the bolded.

Like everything with the NHL, it shrouded in secrecy. You cant find an org chart for the enterprise or that department. LinkedIn gives you names of some of the personnel if you slog through that. I guess my point was you have to have a certain amount of people who played the game to work as consultants in this type of organization and Ryan Getzlaf has never given any cause to think that he isn’t qualified to be knowledgeable, fair minded and professional in his approach. I suspect other players like Pronger, Lafontaine etc who have “consulted” in the past to DoPS a may have taken a step back and thus they needed another resource. We really don’t know.

Crap on the NHL for their lack of transparency on how they staff this org with competent medical, safety and ex-player professionals all we want, but to shit on Ryan Getlaf because he is transitioning from his playing career to another vocation is unfair.

Judge him after he has done something in the role.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Reactions: bellagiobob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I posted he was older years ago. Naturally the Oilers took him 1st overall because Oilers.

Honestly, you can't really criticize this pick. He was fantastic in the year before his draft year and looked like an absolute star in the making. Without proof he really was older he was the natural pick. Even his rookie year was quite promising. Then Eakins happened which was probably the worst possible thing that could have happened for Yak. Not that he would have ever reached his pre-draft promise, but a different coach could possibly have made a difference.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Honestly, you can't really criticize this pick. He was fantastic in the year before his draft year and looked like an absolute star in the making. Without proof he really was older he was the natural pick. Even his rookie year was quite promising. Then Eakins happened which was probably the worst possible thing that could have happened for Yak. Not that he would have ever reached his pre-draft promise, but a different coach could possibly have made a difference.

Most 20-21 year olds look great compared to 17-18 year olds. Coaching has made zero difference anywhere he has professionally played.

Look at the analytics provided above.

He is a fraud.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Most 20-21 year olds look great compared to 17-18 year olds. Coaching has made zero difference anywhere he has professionally played.

Look at the analytics provided above.

He is a fraud.
If he really was 20 then sure. But I still have never seen compelling proof of that and as far as I know there was nothing concrete back then.

It is very possible no coach would have made a difference. I can't convincingly contradict that. But he did not have to reinvent the wheel to play in the NHL. His rookie season was one of the better ones in quite a while. He had a legitimate case for the Calder. All a coach needed to do was teach him a few basic things but Eakin's absolutely chaotic approach was completely opposite of what he needed. Compound that with Eakins strange perchance for benching him when he was playing well and the combo could not have been worse. While evidence is against Yak, we just never know if he could have been salvaged.

I teach for a living. Over my nearly 45 years I have found few people who can't learn basic things if you break things down in the right way. Of course, some don't want to learn and others are just to lazy to put in the time. I don't think the latter applied to Yak, but perhaps the former might have been the issue.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If he really was 20 then sure. But I still have never seen compelling proof of that and as far as I know there was nothing concrete back then.

It is very possible no coach would have made a difference. I can't convincingly contradict that. But he did not have to reinvent the wheel to play in the NHL. His rookie season was one of the better ones in quite a while. He had a legitimate case for the Calder. All a coach needed to do was teach him a few basic things but Eakin's absolutely chaotic approach was completely opposite of what he needed. Compound that with Eakins strange perchance for benching him when he was playing well and the combo could not have been worse. While evidence is against Yak, we just never know if he could have been salvaged.

I teach for a living. Over my nearly 45 years I have found few people who can't learn basic things if you break things down in the right way. Of course, some don't want to learn and others are just to lazy to put in the time. I don't think the latter applied to Yak, but perhaps the former might have been the issue.

Learning from a book is different than having the innate skills it takes to be a pro hockey player. He had plenty of other coaches on plenty of other teams. Can’t pin it all on Eakins.

Like Puljujarvi their poor hockey IQ was overlooked by in PJs case size and in Yakupovs case his scoring in Jr against kids 2 years younger than he was.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Learning from a book is different than having the innate skills it takes to be a pro hockey player. He had plenty of other coaches on plenty of other teams. Can’t pin it all on Eakins.

Like Puljujarvi their poor hockey IQ was overlooked by in PJs case size and in Yakupovs case his scoring in Jr against kids 2 years younger than he was.
It's not a question of learning from a book. I coached football for years and its not all that different from teaching in my discipline. It's a matter of breaking down basics and presenting them in a way that an individual can relate to.

Yak was drafted 1st overall and nearly won a Calder. He's not some dude off the street. What he lacked were not sophisticated aspects of the game but rather the very basics of how to adjust to the NHL. Under Kreuger, who was a great communicator, he seemed to be able to manage. Then Eakins comes in and even experienced vets looked like they had never played the game. I can't prove to you that this was the fatal issue. It may well be that he just did not have it in him to make the changes necessary to succeed. But having Eakins at exactly that crucial point in his career could not have been a worse situation for a guy like Yak. While +/- is obviously a flawed stat, going from -4 as a rookie to -33 should have been a red flag that he was not understanding his role.

Again, if he was really two years older than everyone else he probably did not deserve to be a 1st overall. But even if he was, he still managed to put together a season that should have won him a Calder while leading a team that had Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle in goal scoring without being a colossal liability. That has to be evidence that there was at least a potential for an NHL player in there. Ultimately though, the fault falls mostly on the player. That's pretty much life at the top of the food chain.

Last edited:

Alik Bordour

Jun 26, 2004

I posted he was older years ago. Naturally the Oilers took him 1st overall because Oilers.

I like the part, when during and after the Soviet occupation of Tatar's the area went to shit. It was Ivan the Terrible, Tsar of all Russia in 16th century who сonquest Kazan. You never know, maybe for five centuries the Tatars continue to hide their dates of birth.
In Yakupov's case, there were some rumors, but mostly from unreliable sources like his "uncle". But who knows...

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I like the part, when during and after the Soviet occupation of Tatar's the area went to shit. It was Ivan the Terrible, Tsar of all Russia in 16th century who сonquest Kazan. You never know, maybe for five centuries the Tatars continue to hide their dates of birth.
In Yakupov's case, there were some rumors, but mostly from unreliable sources like his "uncle". But who knows...
Let’s just forget about him and move on. What an abomination.

Reactions: Duke74

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Real question to you:

I don't really get why the DoPs isn't run by a former ref. They know the rules better than anyone, there isn't as much of a perceived conflict of interest and you have to worry less about nonsense like hockey code or unspoken rules being taken into account when punishment is being decided upon.

Reactions: Oilhawks

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I don't really get why the DoPs isn't run by a former ref. They know the rules better than anyone, there isn't as much of a perceived conflict of interest and you have to worry less about nonsense like hockey code or unspoken rules being taken into account when punishment is being decided upon.
Theyve been involved before. It’s political between the league and the ref union though. That’s part of the problem of DoPs. But again don’t shit on a player because they hire him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Theyve been involved before. It’s political between the league and the ref union though. That’s part of the problem of DoPs. But again don’t shit on a player because they hire him.
I don’t disagree. I don’t have anything against Getzlaf. I do think that Parros has proven to be poor at the job though.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Take it with a grain of salt but my friend's uncle was a scout for Columbus during that time and said something similar but also about maturity issues and how they had Murray at #1. It's quite common for players from that part of the world to have forged birth certificates to gain a competitive edge in sports.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Fascinating. I had never heard this before.

There was a solid long-form interview with Yakupov a year or so back that I thought was excellent and gave really good insight into his character. Guy wasn't really hardwired to be consumed by pursuing his top potential appreciating a balanced life. A similar philosophy to Alexandre Daigle who had great natural ability to be a top prospect but not the singular, relentless drive to pursue his best potential against apex completion in the best league in the world. There's a decent documentary that's aired recently on Daigle.

Skill and natural ability can get one there. But if the drive and relentless dedication to work at it isn't then essentially no player is able to sustain elite performance at the NHL highest level of competition. I liked Yakupov the person but his clear deficiencies became exposed in more games played against NHL competition. We see the converse as well with players with marginal abilities go on to NHL careers. The struggle to project teenagers includes the largely unknown space between their ears.

I personally don't believe the speculation.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Unfortunately, the Oilers weren't the only ones who were fooled and ultimately looked like a fool. Nearly all of the predraft boards had him as the undisputed #1. If they choose someone else, people here would have gone ballistic at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad